A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,908
Currently Running With Scissors:
554 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fishies in jars!  (Read 3484 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2011 10:16:26 AM »

Adorable little water globe bottles!!

Never thought lubricant would have crafty purposes though. . .

INDIE.CHILD, KY Jelly has been used in the past as a lubricant when "turning" raw polymer clay on a wheel.  
There's a great story around about some of the leading lights of the polymer clay community having a total blast buying tubes of the stuff at a local drug store while at a retreat or conference where that idea was first introduced.  They were all standing in line to pay and began talking between themselves loudly enough for everyone nearby to hear about all the (double-entendre) ways they planned on using the lubricant (...if I could remember some of their actual comments, this would be much funnier!).

I hadn't actually heard of the silicone-based lubricants though (guess there are various types these days).  Because of a couple of things I just read though, I'd perhaps be a little concerned about the effect of this kind of lubricant on polymer clay over time:

. . . Silicone-based lubricants are usually not recommended for use with sex toys or other products that are made from silicone because the formula will usually dissolve the surface making it sticky to the touch, and excess may cause disintegration of the item over time. In most cases a warning is listed on the product label.  At least one manufacturer claims their silicone-based lubricant is safe for use with silicone products. . .

. . .  By varying the -Si-O- chain lengths, side groups, and crosslinking, silicones can be synthesized with a wide variety of properties and compositions. They can vary in consistency from liquid to gel to rubber to hard plastic. . . .

My chemistry definitely isn't up to speed enough on details to know for sure but it seems that silicone is a type of plastic; and if it is and is not different enough from PVC plastic like polymer clay, uncured silicone in particular may begin to eat away at the surface of cured polymer clay over time (up to weeks/months later) softening it and leaving sticky, or even beginning to deform it, and perhaps discoloring the liquid. That's what happens when raw polymer clay or liquid pc or certain kinds of non-water-based liquids are in contact with cured polymer clay over time anyway.**  
However, sometimes silicone-based glues are used to seal lids on or to hold the clay pieces down in snowglobes though haven't heard back about those many months later, so perhaps this wouldn't be a problem at all.
But I really don't know enough to say..maybe there are other chemistry-people reading this who know?

(Other clear liquids that are used in whole or in part with polymer clay in water-globes and snowglobes are things like water, glycerin, Dippity Do hair gel, mineral oil, colorless cooking oil, rubbing alcohol, etc.)

**This is a different problem than the whitish coating that cured polymer clay can get on it with continuous submersion up to 6 months later (especially noticeable on dark colors) due to slight water absorption, which also affects which kinds of liquids work best in snowglobes, etc .
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011 10:21:54 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
INDIE.CHILD
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2011 09:52:31 AM »

Diane B: I did not know any of that!  That is so cool! Smiley I've never really worked with polymer clay before, so that is really cool to know, if I ever do so in the future. Thank you muchly for posting that! I love updating crafty knowledge~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not stalking, it's good old fashioned chivalry.
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2011 11:34:38 AM »

wow, didnt think of KY either lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Design an English Rose Fabric
How To Learn the Basics Of Bricklaying
How to Build a Bridge
The Food Pyramid Design
How to Write Like an Architect Series Preview
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...