A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,743
Currently Running With Scissors:
486 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Decorating boxes for craft storage  (Read 1716 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lovelyxmalia
« on: May 12, 2011 06:13:48 PM »

I have about 6 cardboard boxes (the strong ones that paper comes in with lids) and I've been wanting to decorate them to reuse them.  I've found some things online that say to use fabric or thick paper, but I was wondering if anyone here had any tips?  I'd love to use fabric, but it can get costly and I don't think I have enough clothes to tear apart!

Does anyone have any ideas or experience with this stuff?  I thought it would be a good idea to get some jeans and denim to use as a fabric cover.  I want them to look nice since they'll be in my craft room and I have it all organized and decorated...

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

She sees shooting stars...
              & comet's tail
She's got heaven in her eyes.
dnelsong
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011 07:15:56 PM »

I've done decoupage on cardboard craft storage boxes.  I went to the local library thrift store and bought old National Geographic magazines (really cheap, but benefited the library, anyway), ripped pictures from the pages and got out the Modge Podge.  Of course, you could use sale decorative scrap booking papers, instead.  The decoupage will actually strengthen the cardboard when it's dry.  For me this meant I enjoyed both the process and the products!  Have fun.  Debra
THIS ROCKS   Logged
polkadotts

Life is good when your HEART's in the right place

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011 07:45:57 PM »

I just made a toy chest for my grand daughter from a home depot box. I covered it with duct tape 1st the then attached the fabric with a stapler and hot glue gun (only because I wanted instant gratification). I have also done the decoupage technique with both paper and fabric (they both worked well for me). Good luck and don't forget to post pics. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What's better than Pink, Butterflies, Glitter, Mermaids, Fairies & Angels......NOTHING!!!
Time to load up the Unicorn and head to the rainbow!!!
lovelyxmalia
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011 05:38:20 PM »

Both are awesome ideas and I think I'm going to try doing a little bit of everything!

I didn't think just decoupaging would strengthen the box, but I guess it makes sense (I can spray it with my acrylic sealer to put my mind at ease-HAHA!)

I'll be posting pics soon! Don't worry!

Thanks for the awesome ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

She sees shooting stars...
              & comet's tail
She's got heaven in her eyes.
decordiva
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011 08:58:32 AM »

Sounds like a great idea! Cant wait to see pictures!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cindyjob
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011 04:21:00 PM »

Here is a pretty cool tutorial that uses old album cover art to decorate a storage box. I made one with a cigar box that turned out way cool.
www.wonderstrange.c om/2011/the-rock-box-a-mixed-media-upcycling-of-your-fave-record-album-art/
 I used some albums I got from Salvation Army!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LaurelShimer
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011 10:46:32 AM »

Totally different track.... When Michaels still had the round hat box chipboard type boxes, I made a 3-tier paper cake for a wedding shower and then had to make one for myself. I spray painted the boxes a pale creamy yellow and then fixed on those good old artificial flowers to look like a decorated cake. Also those little pseudo-pearls or tiny dots of white paint to make little arabesques and scroll'y designs.

You could make a sheet cake look with rectangular/square box. Also a cake-look doesn't have to be flowery. It could have little toys on top like zoo animals, circus, trucks and trains with a little track glued down that could be played with (oh this makes me want to make one like that for my neighbors little boys!), etc.

Oh and also for the wedding shower box stack, I bought a vintage glass cake stand and the boxes fit on top of the cake stand - I got the idea from an old Mary Englebreit dressing table photo - and also the cake plate FIT into the largest cake/hat box.

Wish Michaels still sold those boxes. So handy for keeping stuff on the top shelf of my closet. But I probably have enough anyway!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stop by and check out my art journal, simpleromantic.blog spot.com, and listen in on my romantic-adventure time travel stories PODCAST, by searching for my show 'Unpolished Performances' in the iTunes store.
boddy
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011 02:45:42 PM »

I think denim would look kewl and you could applique things on relevant on whats in the box, for example a box with buttons in could have buttons on the front.

you could give your box texture by gluing on art straws, (to just below he lid line) then paint them. You could also weave the art straws to make them look like wicker baskets.

Paper covers using gift wrap.

Rolled up straws made from coloured paper or magazines looks interesting as well.

And what about felt? I am planning on making a box looking like a dolls house using felt.

Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the Subselection Tool in Flash CS3
How to Use the Swatches Palette in Photoshop CS3
How to Use the Type Tool in Illustrator CS3
How to Use the Undo Command in Photoshop CS3
How to Use the Toolbox in InDesign CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...