A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,467
Currently Running With Scissors:
441 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Feather hair extensions DIY now with TUTORIAL  (Read 23318 times)
Tags for this thread: hair_extensions , craftster_best_of_2011 , feather , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Annie220588
« on: May 12, 2011 05:52:42 PM »

Hi everybody,
as you may have noticed one of the hottest summer trends are feather extensions.
I'm an Aupair here in the States. I cannot afford these expensive extensions in a Salon so I thought there must be a way to do it myself.
I looked up what this feathers are made of and I found out that it's a flyfishing supply. So I went in a Store and bought natural rooster Feathers for about 25 bucks. Than all I needed was crimp beads: ordered over amazon for about 11 bucks. I watched some of the youtube tuts about how to get it in you hair.
This is what I ended up with and I love it! I get a lot of compliments for it! Smiley
Picture is not the best but it's enough to show you the effect.

This is what I used:

« Last Edit: June 08, 2011 12:10:08 PM by Annie220588 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

badpuppy

It's a fine line between 'hobby' & 'mental illness

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011 06:08:44 PM »

Awesome!  Yay do-it-yourself solution.  Smiley

Do these survive washing your hair?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A-ok with personal swaps.

Attempting my first quilt.  English paper piecing.  Sewing together 900 hexagons.
Annie220588
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011 07:06:39 PM »

Just washed my hair for the first time after putting them in and......
All are still in!!!! Grin Grin Grin
Used Shampoo and blowdryed my hair. Look like brand new!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spaz2phreek
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011 07:52:51 PM »

It's crazy how much people pay for those. Silly people aren't as smart as you, apparently. Awesome work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft till it hurts.
Delectably Deviant
the artist formerly known as monkeystuffer

No power in the 'verse can stop me.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011 01:44:38 PM »

Ooh, I've been ogling these on the interwebz for a while - I'll have to try it myself now that I know where to get the feathers.  Thanks for sharing!

Btw, what kind of crimp beads did you use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tygermane
Addicted to crafting

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011 10:46:44 PM »

Would be awesome if you made a tute on how to do this!  I've been eyeballing these on people for awhile now too, and i've been looking all over the stores for them thinking they're clips or something.  I love the way they look!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Annie220588
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011 12:11:40 PM »

So washed and brushed my hair several times now and they're still in!
Here a Tutorial that I made for you Smiley

If somebody wants bigger images (since I admit it's hard to see) I'm going to post it on my blog too. As soon as I find the time.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011 12:13:14 PM by Annie220588 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lique
My Motto: If you can't find it, buy another one.

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011 04:04:38 PM »

I had some put in at my salon and one came out after a couple days and I put it back in myself and it lasted longer.  I won't be wearing the feathers anymore as I found out that the roosters are killed in order to get the feathers. A lot of roosters are being killed to keep up with the high demand.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

burstofpanties
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011 07:00:03 PM »

brillant! my friend is stylist and they offer them at her salon for like triple the cost! so savvy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"i am a batshit genius scientist prophet goddess...
and i will be free..."
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011 10:22:42 PM »

Thanks for the tutorial! I think these are so pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Larissa-Rasputin
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011 05:22:52 PM »

Awesome!  I talked to a lady who had some done at the salon and they still looked good after 3 weeks.  Can't wait to try this out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest (much larger than my wist)
My Wists

Interested in personal swaps Smiley
Snowhite
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011 04:11:19 PM »

Crimp Tubes!  I refused to pay to get these in my hair but have been coveting them.  I could not figure out how to attach them and it ends up being something I have had hundreds of in my cabinets.  Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Larissa-Rasputin
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011 04:36:34 PM »

Put one in myself in june and its still there! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists

MommaApple
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011 02:29:48 PM »

I had some put in at my salon and one came out after a couple days and I put it back in myself and it lasted longer.  I won't be wearing the feathers anymore as I found out that the roosters are killed in order to get the feathers. A lot of roosters are being killed to keep up with the high demand.
Actually, the roosters are eaten.  Just so you know.  Plus feathers can be plucked without killing a rooster.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
EKO

http://ekoscraftylife.blogspot.com/

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011 02:55:25 PM »

the crimp beads used for this are actually lined with silicone to help hold the hair longer,

also you can get a tool to pass the feather through on ebay for about a dollar and you can get synthetic feathers as well quite cheaply (under 2 dollars) on ebay.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit me at my blog
http://ekoscraftylife.blogspot.com/

Current swaps
sss23- all sent and all received.
krfteldy
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011 03:36:26 PM »

What kind of crimp beads are used and where can I find them.  I use the small ones for jewelry, but don't know about the larger ones.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thismumrocks
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011 03:39:50 PM »

Actually, the roosters are eaten.  Just so you know.  Plus feathers can be plucked without killing a rooster.

THANKYOU! i eat enough chicken to earn some extensions, not only that i use feathers in almost all of my crafts, yummy chicken! hmm now i know what im cooking for dinnah!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Acherontia Aether

Morbid butterfly

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011 04:19:34 PM »

They are lovely.

If anyone knows someone who keeps chicken (inc roosters) they naturally moult every year so you can even get feathers without killing them if you are a veggie. Plucking feathers out of a live rooster would be cruel and I've never heard of anyone doing that. They wouldn't be killed just for feathers their days are numbered anyway so may as well make use of the feathers as well as the meat. Some species of pheasant as reared purely for their feathers so you may want to avoid those if that bothers you. Hackle feathers are the really pretty pointy ones.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

etsy.com/nz/shop/TriskeleCrafts

facebook.com/TriskeleNZ
pennyjo
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011 05:27:25 PM »

If you redo the post, please use a darker color on the font.  this one is very hard to see.  Thaks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rantand
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011 05:30:25 PM »

This is awesome!  Thank you for posting this!  Just wondering what size crimping beads to buy though. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Larissa-Rasputin
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2011 06:20:43 PM »

Just search for hair feather kits on amazon or ebay and you will find the crimp beads
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists

Valrere
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2011 12:42:24 AM »

I've done mine myself for months.  I have naturally curly hair; the feathers will actually somewhat adapt to your hair's original texture.  I treat them just as I would the hair growing out of my head other then being careful brushing and using heat products around the crimp bead area.  I flat iron my hair quite often and have used a curling iron on them as well.  The feathers hold up just fine.  I knew this shaping method wouldn't be harmful to the feathers as it's the same way I've been maintaining several pairs of feather earrings I own when then because unruly or misshapen.  For me it takes about 2 months for each extension to start to slip, which then I carefully slide it out once it gets low and lose enough to remove without damaging the hair it is attached to.  I then clip off the crimp bead and start all over with the feathers, putting them in different places and mixing up the color combinations.  I have no desire to die my hair, so these have been a great way to add some color for a unique style.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pdxislander
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2011 07:27:34 PM »

thank you for the tutorial.  I can appreciate that price is a major factor -- however, because of the booming popularity of this trend I've already seen an alert about roosters being put to death in factory-fashion to meet the demand.  Please do consider finding sustainable, humane suppliers for your feathers.  (I cite this article http://www.peta.org/b/thepetafiles/archive/2011/07/28/flee-from-feather-hair-extensions.aspx?PageIndex=2).  I love the tutorial and thanks for the information -- I hate to be a buzzkill but i also know people who are thoughtful enough to craft are also caring enough to check into their supply sources and make sure inhumane methods aren't being used.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alykins

lurking around every corner

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2011 11:07:13 AM »

Just thought I'd add that Etsy is a great source for cruelty-free feathers
http://www.etsy.com/search/supplies?search_submit=&ref=auto&q=cruelty+free+feathers&view_type=gallery&ship_to=US&noautofacet=1

That being said, when I had dreadlocks, I sewed in feathers of all kinds that I had found on hikes. In my experience, they wouldn't look very good after a month or two. Maybe rooster feathers are different?

Anyways, great job DIYing it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012 11:05:43 AM »

Congrats!!

You're a Craftster Best of 2011 Winner!

Craftster Best of 2011 Winner

Feel free to use this badge as your avatar!
If you'd like to use it as a badge on your personal website or blog, you can grab the full code at the bottom of this page.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Slicked Back Red Carpet Hair
How to Make Dry Shampoo for Light Hair
Slick Back Wet Hair Tutorial
This Banana-Coconut Smoothie Doubles as a Healthy Hair Mask
Busting The Top 5 Hair Care Myths
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...