A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,678
Currently Running With Scissors:
705 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Robot Matchbox  (Read 719 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

teachart
« on: May 12, 2011 12:19:10 PM »

My little sister is coming up on a year of sobriety. As a "way-to-go!" present, I made this matchbox for her.

She mentioned in passing once that she liked robots, and the last time she was up visiting she was drooling over an altered matchbox that I received in a swap, so I thought I'd surprise her with one in the mail  Smiley
(The little heart charm came from Suereal in a recent swap- already put to good use!)

Some of the guts. I've since finished filling it up with goodies to send her. Needed to take advantage of the sun for some pics while I had it!

Thanks for looking! Oh, in case any of you were wondering, I discovered that once wrapped in poly-clay, the matchbox survived an oven at 275 for about 20 minutes. I was right there watching it in case of flames!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011 04:52:21 AM by teachart » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011 03:16:10 PM »

It's amazing that it survived the oven, well done. And well done too to your sister, she deserves recognition of that milestone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011 08:52:01 AM »

Oh, very cute!  Love the teeth and the big-grin, and all the "stuff" in the drawer.  Can't read what the heart says though?

Fabulous idea too to recognize your sister's accomplishment and give her a little treat.  (Maybe she'll get into covering her own matchboxes** or doing other polymer clay things and have a little more to occupy her thoughts and time, and even feel like she's fulfilling other parts of herself?!)

Btw, cardboard (and paper products) won't burn till the famous temperature of 451 Fahrenheit (and much higher than polymer clay would burn to a crisp) so no worries unless you have the paper or clay really close to hot coils or something.  Our curing temps won't bother the dried permanent white glue that's often used under polymer clay on paper products to give a bit of tooth either.

** http://glassattic.com/polymer/covering.htm > Papier Mache, Cardboard, Paper

THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
teachart
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011 10:21:47 AM »

Thanks for the compliments!

The little heart says "Made with love"

And thanks for the idea Diane B.! I think I'll put together a few little crafting kits to go along with her matchbox.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011 12:27:42 PM »

That turned out awesome!  I love the idea of an altered matchbook.  I'm gonna have to file that away for a future "must do" project!  You can hide fun little treasures inside!  Thanks so much for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

I've moved in May 2013!  Contact me for my new address!
teachart
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011 12:40:54 PM »

Thanks jillybeans! And if you haven't seen the matchbox swap rd. 5 gallery yet you should check it out- it'll blow your mind!  Cheesy

(In my treasures for my sis I also made her a shrinky-dink charm of myself, I had it posted earlier but got a little self conscious and took it down)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Think
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011 06:56:43 PM »

I love the little matchbox arts, I like robots too, therefor, your crafty robot = super fun and cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The big picture may be amazing but it's the little details that inspire.
mingus107
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011 11:53:49 AM »

Well done, Teachart! You robot is fantastic! Your sister should be really proud of herself. And kudos to you for showing her all the love & support. I participated in matchbox round 5 and was amazed at all of the creativity.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teachart
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011 04:19:21 PM »

Thanks for the nice comments mingus107 and Think! I know I'm pretty proud of her, she's been working hard at sobriety, kicking a pretty nasty 10+ year addiction. I finally got this out in the mail today so she should have it in a couple of days!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Baby Sneakers Part 3/13
How to Crochet Baby Sneakers Part 12/13
How to Crochet Baby Sneakers Part 13/13
How to Crochet Baby Sneakers Part 2/13
How to Crochet Baby Sneakers Part 4/13
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...