A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,067
Currently Running With Scissors:
525 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Furry animal hoods -- beaucoup pictures just how you like  (Read 2767 times)
Tags for this thread: hood , hoodie , cat , zebra , tiger , faux_fur , fur , burning_man , ruffle  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

julibooli
maker extraordinaire )'(

adventure on the sewin' seas

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 12, 2011 08:13:27 AM »

All week I have been making hoods nonstop! I'm applying to be listed as a costume resource for Burning Man this year, so I take all these ideas I've had and actually make them into something! And hooray hooray, I'll be making more hoods this weekend!

These hoods are great with any outfit, from spicing up a bikini (or your fabulous naked self, not pictured) or keeping your noggin warm during your late night playa adventures. They are made out of a wide variety of fabrics, from velvet, fleece, faux fur, jersey, and lame, all the way to cotton for some light-weight day time shenanigans.

They can even be turned inside out for a different look that's only slightly more toned down.

I developed the pattern myself. It's pretty straightforward and didn't have to go through too many drafts. My favorite part is the cascading ruffle down the front. This can be tied in a bow, tossed over the shoulders, or left to just hang down, and any way it looks awesome.

I'm trying to really mix and match with the fabric pairings with the idea that no combination will be repeated. I have a tendency to use the last 3 yards of a fabric so that I'm always making end of the run garments, and a few of these are made from remnant materials so that they are ultra one-of-a-kind. This winds up taking more time per-piece than if I made 10 of each combo, but I think the fun and spontaneity of these hoods is worth the work.

Although I can make just about any style of ear, so far these are all kitties. I feel like the pointed ear is feisty, and it can go with other animals (fox, cat, kitten, tiger...). Plus, who wouldn't want to draw whiskers on their cheeks and meow for a saucer of almond milk all night?!

« Last Edit: May 12, 2011 04:02:46 PM by TheSapphireMoon - Reason: to comply with Craftster guidelines » THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011 09:18:30 AM »

Oh my gosh, you're totally loony. I love it.
The hoods look great, especially with your stellar outfit Wink.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
cursive_queen
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011 10:11:40 AM »

Awesome hats!  They would sell great at an anime convention too.  When I saw the thumbnail I thought it was a Finn (From Adventure time) hat.

Also--- cool to see another crafter from the NOLA area Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Weeny
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011 10:22:40 AM »

Love your hoods But I want to know more about your bike bags! those are rad!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Act always as if the future of the universe depended on what you did, while laughing at yourself for thinking that whatever you do makes any difference"
sparrowarms
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011 11:13:56 AM »

Holy Moly, I LOVE the white furry one! Off to your website right now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://sparrowarms.blogspot.com
http://www.wists.com/sparrowarms

Anyone interested in a fabric stash swap? PM me if you are!
twisted5whispers
Knit knit knit

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011 12:11:58 PM »

Those are awesome!! I don't know if I would ever wear them unless I was feeling mischievous or something...  Grin

What kind of bike is that..? Schwinn World Tourist??? I have one from 1985 that I just recently got and I love it... Where did you get those amazing panniers?? Or did you make them? Either way I love them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Interested in doing personal swaps! I can knit, crochet and sew. Smiley
julibooli
maker extraordinaire )'(

adventure on the sewin' seas

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011 10:01:14 PM »

Thanks guys! I might give it a go selling them at anime/game conventions; it's not a market I'd ever thought about branching into but I have a few friends who sell there. It's a good idea!

As to the bicycle, it's a 1974 Lygie frame that was made in Italy--the upward curve of the top tube at the seat tube is a hallmark of vintage Italian design. I stripped the old yellow paint, put in a new bottom bracket and singlespeed crank, found some sweet alloy wheels that I painted and decorated with reflective tape. The frame has holographic paper on the down tube, and the top tube is polished nickel that was under the original paint! The seat is painted with a fleur de lis, and I made the saddlebags (and every single other thing on the bike!). The outside is metallic vinyl with appliques, which is all coated in a UV-proof sealant, and the bags are interlined with an insulating fabric and lined with another vinyl, so when I buy cheese at Whole Foods on my lunch break it stays cool until I go home at the end of the day! With the rack and bags empty it weighs about 30 lb, and though it's singlespeed it has a higher gear ratio (46/17) so I get a little more motion with each pedal... As you can tell, I've put a lot of work and thought into it, and I don't know when to cut myself short!

Anyway, back to sewing more hoods....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinklightning06
Pinklightning!

I am a sugar spun electro storm ♥

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011 04:28:52 AM »

These are so cute and zany! I love the fabric combos, and the way the ends spiral is really neat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.etsy.com/shop/pinklightning
http://www.pinklightning.me/

Project 365 Awesome - Day 105: Stars&Dinosaurs&AsianBrides&NEW GOALS
Do I have what it takes to be a successful fashion designer? Well I'm giving myself 365 days to find out...
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Web Deals This Cyber Monday
High Fashion: Most Fun And Functional Boots
Hot Fashion Trends: Jackets And Blazers
4 Unexpected Ways to Wear Plaid
The Perfect Presents to Please Any Stylish Mom
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...