My daughter is a princess in the school play. She wanted me to make her costume:
There are 6 princesses total and the director wanted them to match in pairs colorwise. The first pair was red, the second pair was purple and the third pair was to be pink. Well, they ran out of costumes for pink princess #6, which was my daughter. They had costume pieces but they looked more servant-y than princessy - at least according to my dd
So, she asked if I could make her something. Well, although we go to renfest, etc, I knew that she probably would never wear a pink princess dress again. That being the case, I didn't want to start from scratch. I thought, let's go to the thrift store - surely we will find a pink bridesmaid dress or prom dress that we can alter. But, no such luck.
What I did find was this 80's beauty. I didn't get a picture of the complete outfit, but imagine matching pleated pants.
On sale for the low, low price of $5.00. Look at all the fabric in the jacket alone!
And then, for another $4.00, this floral lace dress.
Transformed with minimal new effort into:
The pants were split along the leg seams to make the skirt part. Panel in the back of extra pink fabric for a long kick pleat. You can still see the elastic waistband from the original pants - but it actually helps with the fit. Panel in the front from the floral. I used a McCall's 6141 pattern for the bodice and just winged it for the sleeves.
The original jacket buttoned in the front AND the back, so I just used the existing buttons from the back for the back opening of the dress.