A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 301,970
Currently Running With Scissors:
552 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: redoing/painting bathroom...need help please (longish post, several images)  (Read 1081 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

quack
the wooley duck

View Profile WWW
« on: June 03, 2005 09:31:29 PM »

So, as I said, I'm redoing/painting our bathroom. It's small and rather hideous, especially now that I'm smack in the middle of getting down all the old paint and paper. And there are several layers of paint and paper. These photos don't really show a lot of detail, especially in the weird colors and textures that are present. The real color right now is somewhere between the window picture and all the others.  Uhh...by the way, the toilet is in the little area behind the shower, near the window and next to the bathroom paper. Since I didn't even get a shot of that area at all. -sigh-
First, some bad photos to help demonstrate what I'm working with and then on to a few questions...

A shot of the shower rods in the mirror and the weird wood stuff beside the sink/mirror:

Bathroom window:

My main questions are in bold, for those of you who feel like skipping.  Grin
The color scheme I'm planning to use is basically lots of white, with aqua/turquoise and yellow, and accents of orange. Essentially the colors of old maps and rubber ducks because my "theme" is a mix of travel and ducks. (Think ducks with luggage labels mod podged on, and train cases storing bath stuff. I had a duck bathroom before but I wanna branch out. Heh.) I completely forgot to take a pic of the shower curtain but it's white with ducks and little dusty blue accents and trim. I got some pretty glass tile coasters from the dollar store that I plan to attach to the wall somehow beneath the mirror and above the sink, if possible. They're blue and clear. The walls will be white, probably with either aqua or orange trim. The toilet is a pretty retro yellow color and very rounded.

So. First of all, apparently this bathroom has been through a bunch of incarnations. A weird medium blue, a pink shell wallpaper, plain white, off white, and once the whole thing was apparently a weird dusty rose/mauve color, possible when the shell wallpaper was there. Before I started ripping everything apart two walls were a weird mauve color and the others were a dull off white, with no reason for the difference and so barely noticeable that my bf didn't realize it was pink till I started exposing the white beneath it. Most has come off easily but pretty much all that you see that's still not white is refusing to come up even using a razor blade. Do I just need to try harder to scrape it all off or will it be okay to just sand it down good and prime it? It's kind of a different texture than the exposed wall. It's also not all the same color, with a lot of off white, then white, then mauve, then blue lines running through it. Would one coat of primer cover over all the colors so they wouldn't show through white paint?

Secondly, I really rather like the wood grain that I discovered beneath all the layers of crap on the cabinets. The problem is I've so far had to remove the paint using an exacto knife because my paint scrapers are too thick to fit beneath the paint and paper. Would it look stupid to just have those two cabinets that I've already begun have a stained wood grain and then paint the others? Or do I need to finish what I started...? Roll Eyes  I'm thinking a nice warm but light orangey stain, or perhaps just white washed. (Unless they make an aqua stain. Heh.) Which do y'all think? I'll probably do the same for the window.

The sink base, to me, is an eye sore and I hate it. Opinion poll: Should I paint the sink base or make a funky skirt for it?

The weird recessed area next to the sink is basically just plywood. I think it may once have held a water heater of some kind in that space and then they boarded it up. What I want to do with that is cover it with a collage of old maps. Do you think the collage of maps will be too "busy" for such a small space? Since there will be cases and ducks and such.

Also, I'll hopefully be exchanging that wooden cabinet with something else, and some shelving or tiered table will be going beside it more than likely. I had stacked crates there before cleaning out the room.

Also, any advice on the prep stages of painting will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for everything!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005 09:33:34 PM by quack » THIS ROCKS   Logged

atlascoughed

Sometimes I don't make anything but a mess.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005 02:30:55 PM »

I can't offer much advice, but here's a bit:

-Tack cloths are good. They pick up the dust left in teeny tiny crevices in the wood/walls after sanding.

-Kilz brand paint has pretty good coverage. My mom used to use it on marker-drawn-on-walls.  Embarrassed Wasn't me, I swear! Anyhoo, beware, 'cos it's pretty thick. I just used Kilz on my kitchen and didn't even realize how heavy it was going on. So I got big drips.  Sad

-I would bet that if you can get all the wallpaper off that a good sanding/primer will be fine. After all, you're not needing the walls *perfect* unless you're planning on, oh, entertaining the Queen (in your potty, no less.) Maybe sand it with a few different grades of paper, just to get it smooth?

-I say unveil all the cabinets. Wood grain that you like should be taken advantage of!

And I love your color ideas, BTW. My potty is going to be green/white/yellow, probably. Not too exciting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anything I can reach I do myself.

Una Luna on Etsy. Home of the Alphacreatures!: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5443049

Diary of the Long Winded as AtlasCoughed on LJ: http://atlascoughed.livejournal.com/
quack
the wooley duck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005 03:35:51 PM »

Oooh, I'll definitely have to get some tack cloths then. Whoever painted it before left all kinds of crap underneath the paint. It looks like every time it was redone the people just literally slapped some paint up on the walls.

I thinking you're right about the cabinets. It cuts off all the circulation in my thumb when using the craft knife but I like the grain more and more every day. Plus, I found out that you can apparently make a stain using vinegar and water-based ink so getting it just the right color won't be so hard as I thought. Maybe I'll go with aqua after all! ha.

I mostly just want to do a better job on this than the previous people have because I have grown to loathe their slapdash results. The bathroom at our last place (same landlords, don't think they painted it though) was the same way and I am so tired of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hideous
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005 04:07:28 PM »

I totally agree with the sanding and the Kilz, they definately helped our bathroom. As well as some good ol' mudding plaster and   paintable caulking to fill and fix creavices. I believe there are turquoise/aqua stains  out there, there is at the General Paints here.   Oh yes, now I remember a shop vac... heaven with picking up all those thing you're tired of picking up after you rip them off your wall.  And drywall dust won't  wreck it like it can a regular vac.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
quack
the wooley duck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005 05:25:18 PM »

We've got the putty/plaster stuff but I'm not sure of the caulking. Which I'm sure we'll need as some of the old stuff is coming up along with the paint. I'll look into the aqua stains, I had no idea they made anything like that. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pretendpeterpan
You sunk my scrabbleship!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005 06:58:11 AM »

What an undertaking! I love your theme ideas and color choice, sort of retro funk.

As far as the caulking goes, your best bet is to use your exacto knife or something similar to remove, at the very least, the parts that are coming up (the little pieces that stick out, at least.) If you're feeling zesty, I would remove as much as you can.Then get a silicone based caulk at your home improvement store and go over the whole rim of your tub or sink with it- from prior experience, I can say it's worth the work to avoid water damage.

Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When you wist upon a star...

I'm currently lusting over bird's nest necklaces and jewelry in general. Personal swap partners sought! :-)

My etsy: www.treasuregnome.etsy.com
efitch
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2005 07:39:27 AM »

I've recommended this somewhere else as well, but mildew-resistant Killz is great stuff for painting bathrooms. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cheshirecat
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005 08:20:28 PM »

Cabinets--- Unless the cabinets are unfinished wood without any crap on it, don't go for it. (From your pics I think there is paint on it...) sanding/scraping the paint off would most likely damage the wood and take forever!!!!  I say a light blue or white painted cabinets with a skirt.

Walls--- get as much paint/wallpaper off as you can... then sand a little bit... If your walls are uneven (which they most likely are) use wall putty(?) to even out the holes and stuff... then sand then down, prime and paint.

Maps--- assuming you don't use them for wallpaper some maps here and there might be ok... but more than 1 or 2 would be overwhelming.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2005 07:43:16 PM »

I agree that the walls will be fine with a nice sanding and a prime. A good quality primer should cover the walls in one coat.

I also agree for the wood grain on the cupboards, just think, the pain will be worth the result! For a light stain in any colour mix a squirt of water-based paint (artists acrylic is cheap and comes in any colour you can imagine) with water in a jar, shake well until all the paint is mixed and apply to the wood with a cloth. you want maybe a teaspoon of paint to 300mL  of water (start with a little paint and add more as you desire) and be sure to wipe the stain on in the direction of the grain or buff it in with a circular motion. The effect can be as subtle or as bold as you like and you will have a lovely tinted wood as a result. Just be sure to seal the wood with either wax or polyurethane (water-based) varnish.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley
Website - Gallery - Blog - Tutorials - Store

Our collaborative craft blog!
Hand Made-n's
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Natsu Dragneel
How to Draw Mashiro
How to Draw Maruga
Artist Depicts What Wi-Fi Signals Would Look Like With Photos
How to Draw Lucy Eyes
Latest Blog Articles
Hooray for the Red, White, and Blue
Meatless Monday: TVP Chik'n Nuggets
@Home This Weekend: Colorful Garden Chairs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...