A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,194
Currently Running With Scissors:
626 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: WIP Wednesday 5/11  (Read 463 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sarahj2001
Knitting Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 11, 2011 07:07:43 AM »

This week sure went by quickly for me! 

I'm still pretty much working on the same projects this week. 

Purple Sweater -  My goal for yesterday was to finish the "belt" part...which I did!  I decided it was about time to learn the Russian Join so I didn't have to weave in the ends and I'm loving it!  This sweater is going to be 13 balls of yarn so that would have been a lot of weaving in! 

Swirl Socks - Finally able to see the pattern a bit more!  I'm maybe half way to the heel.   My goal for this week is to get to the heel. 

I also started another project but can't show pictures here since it's for a swap.  Smiley

So....What are you working on this week? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011 10:08:16 AM »

I'm loving the color of your sweater SarahJ!  The socks are coming along great too: your stitches are really nice and even.

Here is what I've got for the week:

Sleeves started for a cabled yoked pullover by Norah Gaughan (Rav link)

And a Swan Lake stole (Rav link) that was already completed halfway by one of the gals in my knitting group.  She gave the project to me to finish and keep!! I think I'm so incredibly lucky to get a complicated lace stole halfway completed!! Anywho, this is a shot of my small progress...it doesn't look like much, but I may block it partway to see.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tephra
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011 11:06:30 AM »

Well I'm still working on the top for my doll, I've completed the decreases to the waist and now have to work even for a bit before increasing for the hips. No photos for this stage though.

I've been working mostly on these socks:

I'm about halfway up the heel flap on the first and you can see the paperclips from the ends of the short rows I need to close gaps on in the second.

And here's the sweater I mentioned last week:

The lighting here is horrible (we're having thunderstorms) so the apparent color change is really just shadows. I'm two rows from dividing for the neck on the front. I'm knitting the front and back at the same time so they're stacked on top of each other in the photo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011 07:46:00 AM »

Tephra, I'm really loving that cabled sweater...it is going to look amazing!  Is this going to be for you or a gift?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tephra
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011 08:11:20 AM »

Tephra, I'm really loving that cabled sweater...it is going to look amazing!  Is this going to be for you or a gift?

For me!  Grin

I actually started it way back in 2008 as my first project with my Knit Picks Options needles. I got all the way to the underarm on the front and back but when I spread it out for a photo noticed something... between my weight loss and my gauge loosening up it was going to be WAY too big. Sad So I stuffed it in a bag and pouted for some months. Eventually I frogged it (over 40 thousand stitches!!!) and balled the yarn.

I restarted it after finishing another long term project (a lace shawl that is HUGE and I can't figure out where I am going to block it....) and with the smaller size it's going much faster.

The pattern is John's Sweater but I've made a few changes. I removed every other crossing on the vertical ropes, which is also helping to make it a faster knit. And while I intended to change to more set in sleeves rather than the modified drop shoulder I might not have changed the armhole enough to manage that. I need to pin it together and try it on. I'll be doing a single layer neck finish rather than the folded one on the original too. I don't have a long enough neck to be putting that much bulk around it. Smiley

I tried on the socks last night since I finished the heels... I may rip them back and knit them a bit longer. This yarn is a tiny bit thinner than what I used the last time I made the pattern and they're a smidge short. I don't think I'd rip back to the start of the gusset (like I "should") but just back to before the short rows of the heel. I think just 4 rows or so would be plenty of added length so adding them there would be fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011 08:42:47 AM »

Tephra,

I definitely like the changes you made to the cabling! Also-- I think the set-in sleeve mod will be more flattering on you than a mod drop shoulder would be.  If the armhole isn't long enough, maybe you might be able to block it to shape rather than reknit it? Or is it more the shaping of it, not the length?  I love the look of set in sleeves, but I found it a little awkard to sew in (it was kind of like a guessing game for easing the sleeve in).  I may try a top-down set-in sleeve that utilizes short rows next time to see if that makes it easier.

Do you have a clothesline at home? If you do, you may be able to stretch the top of the shawl out on the lines, and weigh down the bottom so you can block it?  If not, maybe you could try doing it a portion at a time on your smaller blocking surface. I'm lucky enough to have a spare bed to do my blocking on, but I know others don't necessarily have that option.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tephra
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011 09:20:31 AM »

Tephra,

I definitely like the changes you made to the cabling! Also-- I think the set-in sleeve mod will be more flattering on you than a mod drop shoulder would be.  If the armhole isn't long enough, maybe you might be able to block it to shape rather than reknit it? Or is it more the shaping of it, not the length?  I love the look of set in sleeves, but I found it a little awkard to sew in (it was kind of like a guessing game for easing the sleeve in).  I may try a top-down set-in sleeve that utilizes short rows next time to see if that makes it easier.

I think I didn't bring the edge of the armholes in toward the neck enough. I may rip down to the start of them and bind off more. I'll know better once I get it pinned together and get a good look at where the edge falls on me. I suspect Late Night Math may have struck when I decided how much to bind off. As they are, the edge of the armhole follows a cable, which is a nice detail, and that may have influenced me a bit when choosing where to stop decreasing.  Roll Eyes At this point I don't mind ripping back, much, if it means I'll avoid bulk in the underarm, which is my main problem with dropped shoulders.

Quote from: striker923
Do you have a clothesline at home? If you do, you may be able to stretch the top of the shawl out on the lines, and weigh down the bottom so you can block it?  If not, maybe you could try doing it a portion at a time on your smaller blocking surface. I'm lucky enough to have a spare bed to do my blocking on, but I know others don't necessarily have that option.

I have no clothes line, and the lower edge is scalloped anyway. I considered the guest bed but it's a twin and this shawl is too big to fit on that. Unstretched the shawl is 80" across and 40" down the spine (triangular) and it really needs to be stretched some to show off the pattern. A twin bed is only 36" across... I guess I could try blocking it out in three sections.

I considered clearing enough floor in a room with a rug but the only place I have that I can do that I can't close off from the cats, and they're the sort that dig fabrics (the beds don't stay made if they can get at them).

I also considered making a blocking frame, but while I can find tutorials for making one I can't find anything about how to go about stringing your shawl up on one. It seems easy once you have the shawl laced up there to adjust it to the right size and shape, but the initial "here's a couple pounds of wet wool and some string" part is unclear, how do you support the water weakened wool as you try to hang it in a vertical frame? Maybe you are supposed to hang it dry and then spray the heck out of it with a water bottle and then stretch it?  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011 04:10:42 PM »

Oh, I see what you mean about the cable at the armhole....it looks really nice like that too.  Will you just forgo that particular cable if you need to bind off more armhole stitches or rechart that cabled area to make it work? I would do the first option, but that's only because I'm a much less experienced knitter than you. Wink

My goodness...a 80" top edge triangular shawl?!?! Holy cow, that sounds like a knitted feat of wonder!  I bet it's a beauty though. LOL: I totally understand about the cats. Our guest bedroom is perfect (we have a full sized bed in there) because I can shut the door so cats can't get in Wink That sounds like quite the predicament though.  If you were to make a frame, my guess would be hang the shawl first dry, then spray with water and adjust and stretch as it gets wet.  That would be a whole lotta wet wool to just have hanging there before you could stretch it, otherwise.  And who knows? It could come in handy for all your lace shawl blocking needs, especially if you knit them frequently
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tephra
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011 05:31:29 PM »

Oh, I see what you mean about the cable at the armhole....it looks really nice like that too.  Will you just forgo that particular cable if you need to bind off more armhole stitches or rechart that cabled area to make it work? I would do the first option, but that's only because I'm a much less experienced knitter than you. Wink

Well I pinned the sides together and tried it on and I think the armholes will work. The shoulders are a bit wide, that one cable width to be exact, but I think the scant inch is close enough. I'm glad I tired it on, I need to knit the armholes about half a repeat deeper before I divide for the neck still. I sized it to be close fitting and forgot about my excess of curves and how they would take up some of the length.  Cheesy

Quote from: striker923
My goodness...a 80" top edge triangular shawl?!?! Holy cow, that sounds like a knitted feat of wonder!  I bet it's a beauty though. LOL: I totally understand about the cats. Our guest bedroom is perfect (we have a full sized bed in there) because I can shut the door so cats can't get in Wink That sounds like quite the predicament though.  If you were to make a frame, my guess would be hang the shawl first dry, then spray with water and adjust and stretch as it gets wet.  That would be a whole lotta wet wool to just have hanging there before you could stretch it, otherwise.  And who knows? It could come in handy for all your lace shawl blocking needs, especially if you knit them frequently

It's my first shawl too, so I'm completely unprepared for blocking it. I love complex lace patterns though so I'm pretty sure it won't be my last, once I get it blocked so I can enjoy it. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011 07:36:02 AM »

Very good call to try it on! I think it is going be great, I can't wait to see the final garment!

Ohhh, congrats on your first shawl! They are so great...they seem really fancy, but you can totally pull it off with jeans too: it is all on how you wrap it Wink  I've done both wet blocking and spray and stretch: they both work, but the spray and stretch is just more time intensive because it requires more adjusting as you go. But the final results are totally worth it no matter which blocking method you use! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your First Movie: Using Proper Gear
How to Make Your First Movie: Audio
How to Make Your First Movie: Lighting
How to Cast Your First Movie
How to Budget Your First Movie
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...