A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,743
Currently Running With Scissors:
443 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Redoing retro chairs help!!  (Read 1130 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xxyourmomxx
« on: May 11, 2011 06:16:46 AM »

I saved these awesome chairs from the dump, but I'm now not sure where to start to fix them. They're super rusty and my hubby doesn't think they can be fixed. I got some primer, and spray paint for metal, but I don't know if I should sand them or what to get them smoothed out and most of the old, chipped paint off.
If anyone has any ideas to help please let me know! Really anxious to get these done so I can enjoy them this summer!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xxyourmomxx
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011 06:18:14 AM »

Sorry if this is in the wrong board, I wasn't sure where to post it  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
3Gs4Me
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011 06:19:52 AM »

If you have access to or know someone with a sand blaster you could borrow, that would be your best bet.  If you cannot do that I would get a rotary tool with a sanding disc or a wire brush and scrub the heck out of them.  From their, spray with a rust proof primer and paint.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soulmate to T and mama to 3 G's.  Avid sewer, crafter, gardener, and all around creative being!
CraftyMcCrafterson

art should not exist for the sake of itself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011 06:30:37 AM »

Definitely got to get at least some of the rust off. It will undermine any paint finish that you put on.

Super cute find btw! What color are you going to paint them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://dianneofalltrades.blogspot.com/

Looking for dead pointe shoes.
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011 07:10:08 AM »

Yup, you have to get down to a stable substrate before applying primer and paint.  Adding new over top of flakes, will not make the flakes stay on.  I hope that the rust not so severe that it's left holes in the metal - then there could be trouble if they're big and/or on the edges.  If there are little holes, you might consider filling them with something like Bondo, then sand smooth before priming and painting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xxyourmomxx
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011 07:17:43 AM »

Yup, you have to get down to a stable substrate before applying primer and paint.  Adding new over top of flakes, will not make the flakes stay on.  I hope that the rust not so severe that it's left holes in the metal - then there could be trouble if they're big and/or on the edges.  If there are little holes, you might consider filling them with something like Bondo, then sand smooth before priming and painting.

Luckily there's no holes, just a lot of rust...
Do you know of a fast, easy way to get all of the paint off, or is just sanding it going to be my best bet?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mannon2
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011 07:49:29 AM »

I would go with a wire brush attachment on a drill, then Rustoleum makes a spraypaint that's meant specifically for metal surfaces that have begun to rust - not sure how it works, but it seems to solidify the rust and keep it from rusting further - it's called Rust Reformer - then you can paint over, or choose to leave it that color - Good Luck!  Those are some cool chairs!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
complex character
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011 07:58:52 AM »

The stuff in cola that eats rust is also in a product called Naval Jelly- I've used it successfully on rust, if I were doing these chairs I'd start with Naval Jelly and then use sandpaper on whatever remained.  Mostly because I am not good with a wire brush!
I saw on a tv show recently a suggestion to take rusted items to an auto paint shop (like MAACO) and they can get the rust off. That is, if you want to pay someone for the help.
Nice find! I would have rescued those chairs, too, if I'd seen them
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011 08:54:02 AM »

Luckily there's no holes, just a lot of rust...
Do you know of a fast, easy way to get all of the paint off, or is just sanding it going to be my best bet?

Yey!  No holes!  I'd worry about using a wire brush on a drill or rotary tool, because I get a little intense and I might go to far.  To suit my personality  Wink I'd go hand held wire brushes to get the big rust off, then a palm sander to smooth it out and for the paint.  You don't have to get it all off, just get to where only stable paint (stuff that's stuck on well and not coming off as "dust") is left and feather the edges so it's a smooth transition between all the different areas before you paint.  If you've got a good area to use a stripper like Naval Jelly, then that's a thing, too.  I don't have that kind of space.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goldfishpollywog

Goldfish kisses *<><

I have Never met an unimportant person. Never.

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011 11:46:34 AM »

Naval Jelly, will seriously help with the rusts and you are less likely to take off more of the metal than you need. Hubs got some at either Lowes or Home Depot.  Just use in a well ventilated space. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Pin(trest) are mightier than the sword.

LV Tumblr - possible swap spoilers
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get Hayden Panettiere’s Sun-Kissed Glow from Her Glamour Cover
See Makeup Genius Kandee Johnson Transform Into Hayden Panettiere
Best Foundation for Olive Skin
Tyra Banks: Beauty In The Future Will Mean Looking Different
Dry Brush Your Cellulite, Does It Work?
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...