A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
515 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: easy recycled, quilted wool and cotton pads - tutorial (different method)  (Read 3885 times)
Tags for this thread: cloth_pad , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cyclamen
« on: June 03, 2005 08:55:15 PM »

I made this in a new thread because I think it's a different enough technique for making menstrual pads than what was posted in the other two threads.  They don't have wings, but you'd be suprised at how well they stay put, because of the fabric backing.  The quilting makes them not bulky at all and also keeps the material from shifting around inside, especially when you wash it.  The wool makes them so much more absorbent than regular cotton (reading about how wool absorbency and a bum sweater is what inspired me to make these) that they stay comfortable for much longer and - most importantly - they don't leak like the disposible pads do, down the wings and all, yuck.  I have a pretty heavy flow, and I've rarely had these leak on me.  They are all-natural fibers, no synthetics.  If I could find recycled organic fibers I'd love to make them out of those, but as it is, I'm happy just recycling old clothes.

For the wool, I used one of my brother's old wool sweaters that had felted (accidentally) in the wash, and nobody wanted to wear it.  Basically, I cut a bunch of pad shaped pieces out of the sweater, then a bunch more pieces (which were slightly bigger) out of a tee shirt and some black flannel.  I like the dark colors because they don't look as messy.

Here they are, with the wool piece, the tee shirt piece and the flannel piece in a pile.  You can't see the flannel because it is the same size as the tee shirt piece. 

So then with 'right' sides together of the flannel and jersey, I sewed a pocket shaped piece that has an opening at one end.

I trimmed close to the seam (well not in this picture...) then I laid the wool piece on top and pulled the whole thing inside out

so that the wool was in between - smooth it out a little with my fingers, then fold the open ends in, sew it shut and "quilt" over it with the machine.

Ta da!  Here is the top:

And the bottom:

Or the bottom and the top, it just depends which fabric you prefer close to your delicate bits.  Anyhow, these are really easy to care for, throw them in a bucket of water, then machine wash (so I would be sure to preshrink everything...).  I carry a little ziploc baggie with me to have something to put them in when I am out and about.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009 08:36:23 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged
meowari
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005 09:28:54 PM »

This is kind of a gross question, but since it's kind of a gross topic, here goes... How long can you wear them before they bleed through? I hate using disposable ones because they're bad for the environment, but I've never thought to make my own... I guess that's what they did back in the day, and it worked for them. What the hell, I'm making some this week!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheEverFalling

Almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005 09:32:01 PM »

Haha here's an entire thread on this topic :p http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=18462.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That doesn't make sense to me. But then again, you are very small."~Treebeard
Jane2
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005 09:37:04 PM »

Many thanks for showing the steps to making these!

Now if I could only convince myself that without a fastener of some kind they would stay in place ...
I'm not crazy about wings - but I don't want to suddenly have to make a quick exit from wherever I am, holding my crotch to keep things from slipping any further out of position.

Perhaps the addition of a small piece of velcro to the bottom-side of the pad would work. And it could attach to ... a piece of cloth (cotton or flannel or whatever) wrapped around the crotch of the underwear, which also has a small piece of velcro attached to it.
And the underwear velcro-cloth would be removable ... so one wouldn't be stuck wearing one pair of undies all the while the pad(s) were needed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheEverFalling

Almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005 09:41:04 PM »

Well before coming to craftster, I *blushes* bought some cloth pads.  They stay in place really well with a bottom lining of flannel.  The friction makes it stick as long as it's long enough! Smiley And it's great for the environment
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That doesn't make sense to me. But then again, you are very small."~Treebeard
cyclamen
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005 09:51:44 PM »

Jane2, if it helps, there's a slight curve to the pads when you're done sewing them so they sort of nestle against you, and like TheEverFalling says, as long as they're long enough, the friction does keep them well in place.  I've also discovered that not wearing baggy underwear helps to give a secure feeling.  Smiley  But I think that you could probably just modify the shape of the outer layers to give it wings and snaps...

Meowari, with the wool, it depends on your flow but they can absorb a godawful amount of blood, a lot more than cotton for the size.  I guess on my first day, which is always the heaviest, I maybe change them five or six times, tho sometimes I supplement with big rolled up washcloths....   I bet if you used wool flannel instead of cotton flannel on the bottom, or an extra wool flannel layer, it would be even more absorbent.  Definitely check out the other cloth pad threads here though because a lot of people give some good information about their experiences.

TheEverFalling - I love that thread!  Though most of the cloth pad patterns I've come across require more of an attention span than I have.... hence this one. Smiley  I almost bought some at one point, too, but they were just so much money....  Although in the long run, it's still a savings on you pockets and the earth.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieSkull
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005 10:12:16 PM »

I think your recycled pads are fabulous! The quilting pattern seems to be almost the same as real female genitalia which makes me giggle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
cyclamen
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2005 06:15:24 AM »

I think your recycled pads are fabulous! The quilting pattern seems to be almost the same as real female genitalia which makes me giggle.

Thanks!  You know, that wasn't intentional, but when I was piecing them together, I thought about how with the colors and the folds it did sort of look like a fabric pussy.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Debbie Brookman
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2005 07:06:12 AM »

Hi.I'm new here but love this site!Quick question...could you give just a rough estimation on the size of these pads?I want to make some.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cyclamen
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2005 07:22:30 AM »

Mine are about 7.5"x3" more or less.  But I guess you could take a medium size (or whatever) pad and sort of copy that size.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sati
Craftsterbator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2005 11:42:52 AM »

God bless tampons  Lips sealed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Holly ~
[BombazineDoll]
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2005 10:45:14 PM »

here here!  Cheesy

one question though. this might be a bit crass of me, what in the world do you do with them when you need a change and aren't at homw? like...stick them in your purse for safekeeping or something (not an idea I'm a big fan of). I'm considering making my own, but I don't have the schedule to stay at home whenever the painters come calling...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tickleagangster
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2005 11:07:40 PM »

A question for anyone, I'm wondering if anyone has tried making these cloth pads scented with dried rosemary or lavender for in between the menstral cycle, or for those of us who are happily on the other side of the road now!! LOL (I stopped very young!) They would be sort of a cloth panty liner, probably much more snuggly than the tiny patch of cotton in most undies!
Any thoughts??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Say hello to my lil' friend!
cyclamen
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2005 07:17:39 PM »

here here!  Cheesy

one question though. this might be a bit crass of me, what in the world do you do with them when you need a change and aren't at homw? like...stick them in your purse for safekeeping or something (not an idea I'm a big fan of). I'm considering making my own, but I don't have the schedule to stay at home whenever the painters come calling...

Well, I keep a ziploc bag in my purse, and it works well - no air, no blood smell - as long as you remember to take them out and soak them when you get home.   Hell, I've even wrapped them in paper towels.  I guess I don't think there's anything shameful about a period - and one of the many reasons I switched to cloth is because I hate how our american society behaves as if a period is shameful and something to hide.  I'm not going to go around telling people, "I have my period, look at the blood!" or anything.  But I also refuse to feel embarrassed or disgusted by that blood more than any other blood that comes out of my body.  So if someone happens to catch a glimpse of my ziploc baggie and bloody pad and they are offended or grossed out - well, no one is making them offended but themself.  *shrug*

As you can tell, it's something I feel pretty strongly about... Wink

A question for anyone, I'm wondering if anyone has tried making these cloth pads scented with dried rosemary or lavender for in between the menstral cycle, or for those of us who are happily on the other side of the road now!! LOL (I stopped very young!) They would be sort of a cloth panty liner, probably much more snuggly than the tiny patch of cotton in most undies!
Any thoughts??

I tend to shy away from scented anything (even essential oils) around my delicate bits.  But snuggly is always good!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dirt_made_my_lunch

don't think twice, it's alright

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2005 08:35:52 PM »

glad i wasnt the only one giggling...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now the wintertime is coming,
The windows are filled with frost.
I went to tell everybody,
But I could not get across.
Well, I wanna be your lover, baby,
I don't wanna be your boss.
Don't say I never warned you
When your train gets lost.
.:popsi:.
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2005 02:59:01 AM »

Well, I keep a ziploc bag in my purse, and it works well - no air, no blood smell - as long as you remember to take them out and soak them when you get home.   Hell, I've even wrapped them in paper towels.  I guess I don't think there's anything shameful about a period - and one of the many reasons I switched to cloth is because I hate how our american society behaves as if a period is shameful and something to hide.  I'm not going to go around telling people, "I have my period, look at the blood!" or anything.  But I also refuse to feel embarrassed or disgusted by that blood more than any other blood that comes out of my body.  So if someone happens to catch a glimpse of my ziploc baggie and bloody pad and they are offended or grossed out - well, no one is making them offended but themself.  *shrug*

As you can tell, it's something I feel pretty strongly about... Wink

exactamundo!  well said, and i too found the pattern of your pads amusing, intentional or not (^_^)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
spaz2phreek
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2005 02:01:36 PM »

okay...I think i'm actually gonna try to make some...I've got 2 days....I'm also nervous about the not being home part but I think you're right, cyclamen. I think I'll make a little fabric bag to put my plastic bag in...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft till it hurts.
cyclamen
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2005 09:59:57 PM »

okay...I think i'm actually gonna try to make some...I've got 2 days....I'm also nervous about the not being home part but I think you're right, cyclamen. I think I'll make a little fabric bag to put my plastic bag in...

Hey, that's a really good idea, I never thought of doing that.... Hmmm....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Mike Wazowski from Monster Incorporated
How to Draw Master Thundering Rhino from Kung Fu Panda 2
Selective Editing in Lightroom 4
Taking Advantage of Type Styles in Photoshop CS6
How to Draw Minions from Despicable Me 2
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...