A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
373 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: face cleanser from scratch  (Read 2233 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011 07:41:54 AM »

I use bentonite clay mixed with vinegar as a mask, that or white clay like this one.
http://www.absoluteessential.com/products/detail/clay-powder-white-260/50/6
http://www.absoluteessential.com/store/carriers-clays-plant-butters-c-6_46/clay-powder-white-pink-p-181
Apple cider vinegar is a wonderful rinse/toner too, for hair, body and face. It restores skin's natural PH balance.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011 10:11:05 AM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
tr3kkie9rl
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011 09:49:00 AM »

I use bentonite clay mixed with vinegar as a mask, that of white clay like this one.
http://www.absoluteessential.com/products/detail/clay-powder-white-260/50/6
http://www.absoluteessential.com/store/carriers-clays-plant-butters-c-6_46/clay-powder-white-pink-p-181
Apple cider vinegar is a wonderful rinse/toner too, for hair, body and face. It restores skin's natural PH balance.

Ooh I have all of those things (clay because I use it in my makeup) I'm going to try that soon! thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whoever i was
I'm not that person now
but what i wish i was
I'm still so far away from
Gwynevere
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2011 04:59:20 PM »

Just be careful with the strength of the vinegar- some people's skin can't handle it full strength, so spot test it first to see if you need to dilute it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011 06:02:48 PM »

I always use a very diluted solution for rinsing hair and skin.

Have you ever used food for cleansing etc? Papain is an enzyme in papaya that is terrific as a natural AHA, same with pineapple. I rub the inside of a piece of skin all over my face and neck when I'm eating either of those fresh. Avocado is high in copper, a great wrinkle combat. Oatmeal is soothing and moisturizing, cucumber is soothing and cooling, also a tonifier. Egg white is high in protein and an excellent tightener after cleansing. Sugar = glycolic acid, use it as a scrub. Aspirin is salicilic acid, make a paste and use as a wrinkle treatment or just for all around polishing. Coffee is an amazing body scrub, the caffeine in it stimulates blood flow. Cocoa powder is great for skin too, look up recipes online for using that on face and body.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CeeJayRose
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011 11:25:16 PM »

I do use olive oil pretty regularly on my face, I alternate between that and coconut oil for moisturizer and I agree - it's great! I know it also works great as a makeup remover but I don't feel "clean" unless I use something at least a little sudsy to finish off the cleaning routine. Psychological maybe, but I have to have some suds.

Oh honey, the Oil Cleansing Method is completely different than using oil to moisturize. It really does an amazing job of cleaning if you do it right.

Personally I make my own cold cream and use that and it is amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tr3kkie9rl
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011 06:51:34 AM »

I do use olive oil pretty regularly on my face, I alternate between that and coconut oil for moisturizer and I agree - it's great! I know it also works great as a makeup remover but I don't feel "clean" unless I use something at least a little sudsy to finish off the cleaning routine. Psychological maybe, but I have to have some suds.

Oh honey, the Oil Cleansing Method is completely different than using oil to moisturize. It really does an amazing job of cleaning if you do it right.

Personally I make my own cold cream and use that and it is amazing.

Funny thing is, I've gradually weaned myself off of my "suds addiction" and now I can't remember the last time I cleaned my face with anything but oil. I love it!!! My face is so balanced and significantly clearer now, between that and baking soda exfoliating it's made a huge difference.

Here's a question though - I have been using scraps of cut-up flannel sheets to wipe off the oil/makeup/dirt and they only last a few uses before I have to throw them out because the oil builds up in the fabric. I've been putting them in the wash with the rest of my clothing. Is there a better way to clean the oil from the cloth so I can get more use out of them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whoever i was
I'm not that person now
but what i wish i was
craftylittlemonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2011 07:24:06 AM »

Here's some advice I found online (that I'll use as well, I don't like that smell getting into wash cloths and towels either!). I guess experiment until you find the one that works best for you.

Pre-soak in two cups of vinegar with one cup of baking soda. Leave overnight. Rinse and then repeat. Place in the wash and add another cup of vinegar.Then hang outside to dry as the wind and sun will take any smell that still maybe lurking.

Citra-solve, Bi-o-clean, dishsoap (rinse out well before adding cloths to washer), washing soda all work as degreasers. I've read about soaking cloth in coca-cola too.

Bring a pot of water to a simmer, add your fav detergent in the amount listed for 'soaking', borax is also excellent, and add the offending items.
Really Super-bad, simmer 15 - Huh minutes, bad stuff - simmer 10 to 15 minutes - then turn off the heat. Oxy-products could be added at the point if needed. 
Cool for 15 to 30 minutes, then drain. Be Careful! Hot Stuff Is Hot! The hot wash water down the kitchen sink drain can be good for the plumbing and letting the wash water cool completely with your laundry could maybe redeposit the funk you just worked to displace. Rinse in more hot water and then throw the stuff into the washing machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tr3kkie9rl
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2011 08:00:19 AM »

Great, thanks I'm going to try those this weekend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whoever i was
I'm not that person now
but what i wish i was
IngerLand
create because you can

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011 07:12:49 PM »

your initial idea of castile (I'm assuming you are using liquid castile soap?) & aloe vera should work; try mixing them at a 1:1 ratio (maybe try w/ a teaspoon or tablespoon of each), whisk it in a bowl & leave it overnight...if that ratio is too much/too little of one of the ingredients, try a 2:1 or 3:1 using the castile as the greater amount of the two. Castile is a soap and even though its liquid, I honestly don't think you'll need a preservative. If you are really concerned about bacteria/mold growth, add some honey--its antibacterial, anti fungal, reduces redness & is a humectant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DIY. Create anarchy.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...