A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,720
Currently Running With Scissors:
616 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chainmaille swap anyone? :'D  (Read 2159 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Fullmoon
Femailler

Artistic Spazzmatazz

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 09, 2011 08:38:17 PM »

Maybe you've seen it at a Renaissance fair with some dude wearing chainmaille armor, maybe you've seen some lady wandering around with some lovely scalemaille earrings or a byzantine bracelet, maybe you have absolutely no clue what I'm talking about but would like to try your hand at a new craft! Would anyone be interested in doing a chainmaille swap?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/lunaestrelladesign/
Deviantart: http://melonpan-alichan.deviantart.com/

Will happily do personal swaps Smiley I'm busy so I may be a bit slow, but I do enjoy swapping <3
hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011 08:41:13 PM »

YES! I've never tried it before but have always wanted to. Summertime would be perfect for this swap since I'll have lots of free time and I know I'll get frustrated...but excited too! Count me in!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DizzerSpinninRound
Proverbs 31: 10-31

Little M is growing in my belly! Due Feb 2013!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011 08:41:21 PM »

Interested :-D
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DizzerSpinninRound

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011 08:43:12 PM »

I would probably be able to join if send offs were the end of July or August
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fullmoon
Femailler

Artistic Spazzmatazz

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011 08:54:10 PM »

:'D Yay! Glad to see there is actually interest <3

Would it work out if maybe sign ups were sometime in May but the send out date was around the end of summer or so? That way there would be plenty of time to get supplies and experiment and everything else? Smiley

Also, point wise, what might be good?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will happily do personal swaps Smiley I'm busy so I may be a bit slow, but I do enjoy swapping <3
Myrdda
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying. - Oscar Wilde

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011 09:27:20 PM »

i do maille as well - and yeah, mid august seems good to me .... i'm sort of overwhelmed with stuffs at the moment, but I'd very much like to join this one
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SWAPS:
Geeky Swap - sent

My Wists! www.wists.com/Myrdda
My Pinterest! www.pinterest.com/Myrdda
DizzerSpinninRound

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011 09:34:52 PM »

I could do mid August. Maybe we could just have one item that we make, that way we don't have to worry about the whole point system.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Samantha_McKay
Artist, Siren, Immortal, Goddess, Mother, Wife, Geek, Writer

You and me, time and space. You watch us run!

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011 09:43:37 PM »

I'd be interested in a small swap. Or perhaps a mid sized if it was towards the latter end of summer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Helen Magnus: No killing!
Nikola Tesla: Said the woman with a gun to a vampire.

The Doctor: Shout if you get into trouble
River Song : Don't worry I'm quite the screamer.. now there's a spoiler for you .

http://wists.com/Samantha_McKay
wiccanbrandy

Live and Let Live ~ Fairly Take and Fairly Give

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011 09:45:46 PM »

count me in! If you wouldnt mind sharing, where do you get your supplies from? i've got the wire tools, for jewlery making, and wire sculpting, but not sure if thats what you use. where do you get the rings from?

i remember freshman year my history teacher wanted us to make chainmaille pieces for a week or two. we all felt like it was slave labor but when everyone put the piece they made together with everyone elses, we were amazed at how awesome it was!

i've always "meant" to get back to learning chainmaille, but never did for some reason. Please keep me updated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
squire_inaria
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011 09:46:45 PM »

I would definitely be interested as well. I've been weaving for several years now. I'm actually making a 4-in-1 shirt out of 4mm jump rings for the poppet I'm sending in the Plethora of Poppets swap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I swap, you swap, we all swap! I love personal swaps (and I make poppets!) Smiley

Wist-y goodness

Check out my new shop; Ivy Moon Emporium[url]!
hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011 10:18:13 PM »

Yeah, I think a 3 to 4 pointer would be good. That way you could choose to make one big item or a couple of smaller ones, depending on your expertise. I'm excited that so many people are interested! I too would like to know where supplies are got.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Distant_Twilight
Code Monkey

Creativity is creativity. There is nothing like it

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011 10:24:35 PM »

I recently taught myself how to chainmaille for my birthday. I'd totally be down for this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My wist!!- http://www.wists.com/Distant_Twilight
Will not be returning to craftster until I can get my anxiety under control. Thank you for all the supportive people I have met here!
squire_inaria
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011 10:33:59 PM »

For my jewelry projects I use jump rings, which can be found just about anywhere. It's beena  little while since I've actually made armor, but when I do I make my own rings by winding them on a metal rod and cutting them with wire cutters. For that you can get galvanized steel wire at Home Depot or Lowe's.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I swap, you swap, we all swap! I love personal swaps (and I make poppets!) Smiley

Wist-y goodness

Check out my new shop; Ivy Moon Emporium[url]!
Fullmoon
Femailler

Artistic Spazzmatazz

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011 10:39:17 PM »

Yeah, I think a 3 to 4 pointer would be good. That way you could choose to make one big item or a couple of smaller ones, depending on your expertise. I'm excited that so many people are interested! I too would like to know where supplies are got.

count me in! If you wouldnt mind sharing, where do you get your supplies from? i've got the wire tools, for jewlery making, and wire sculpting, but not sure if thats what you use. where do you get the rings from?

i remember freshman year my history teacher wanted us to make chainmaille pieces for a week or two. we all felt like it was slave labor but when everyone put the piece they made together with everyone elses, we were amazed at how awesome it was!

i've always "meant" to get back to learning chainmaille, but never did for some reason. Please keep me updated!

To the both of you, I personally get my supplies from http://www.theringlord.com and from my friend who taught me how to do chainmaille and explains to me how to do new weaves I want to try and all sorts of neat stuff. However, The Ring Lord can get a bit expensive at times, and the shipping is slow and painful because it comes from Canada. Cry You can actually buy bags of rings at places like JoAnns and maybe some Walmarts, but I've heard that the quality is better if you go to suppliers like the Ring Lord, or you make them yourself.

If you have a pair of round nosed pliers, you can make earring hooks yourself along with small charms and other bits, and if you have something like a dowel, or even a pencil if you're desperate and some wire cutters, you can make the rings yourself using a roll of wire, which you can get from a hardware store or really anywhere that sells it. ^_^

It can end up being much cheaper to make the rings yourself, but if you don't have the time or you want to experiment with sizes/metals/etc and see what you like and dislike then picking up some random bags of jump rings or going through a distributor may be the way to go.

If there's a special type of metal you're looking for, you could probably find some other good distributors online.

-----

I would definitely be interested as well. I've been weaving for several years now. I'm actually making a 4-in-1 shirt out of 4mm jump rings for the poppet I'm sending in the Plethora of Poppets swap.

That's really epic! I'm working on a 4 in 1 stretchy bracelet for my aunt right now along with a 4 in 1 with some normal hanging bits with scales headdress for my 3ft tall poppet. ^___^

--------

I could do mid August. Maybe we could just have one item that we make, that way we don't have to worry about the whole point system.

That could be interesting as well... ^__^ Planning on making that dragon inlay? Wink

--------

I am really glad that there is this much interest in this!! Cheesy

--------

Oh, and since above there was the subject of my supplier, I realized it might be good to point this out as well....

If there's anyone who has incredible metal allergies, then I'd recommend using niobium for their chainmaille crafty bits. Niobium is more expensive, but not only is it incredibly beautiful (Anodized niobium comes in amazing colors), it is hypoallergenic.

From what I've seen so far with people I know who have light allergies or aversions to metals, aluminum and anodized aluminum seems to work quite well and not cause any allergic reactions or turn the skin green.

If you use copper, be prepared for green skin! LOL I have a beautiful ring made by my friend, it's made from copper and dark blue anodized niobium (I don't have any allergies to metal, but niobium has a very nice feel to it, especially in a ring, it's a comfortable metal) and everytime I wear it, my finger turns green due to the copper haha. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FaerieCyn
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011 03:30:20 AM »

I'm totally in! This is so cool and I've been looking for an excuse to get more rings off of Ring Lord, lol.

I just recently (like a few months ago) made my gf a gypsy coin belt out of chain maille and a BUNCH of foreign coins. x_x Soo ridiculous, but sooo rewarding. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm an Unseelie pixie with a big imagination and access to thrift stores.
 My Wist: http://www.wists.com/FaerieCyn
kwchick
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011 03:58:58 AM »

However, The Ring Lord can get a bit expensive at times, and the shipping is slow and painful because it comes from Canada. Cry

Cheesy Unless you live IN canada of course, then it's only a couple bucks for express, super fast shipping!! I love it!!

Wow, I am thinking of joining my first swap ever!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't sell my stuff, but become a fan on Facebook!
Shylock_Designs
ceemonster
Eccletic Crafter

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011 07:38:07 AM »

I'm very much a novice at chainmaille - meaning I've made maybe 4 bracelets and a set of earrings - but I'd be willing to try. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cate

http://pinterest.com/ceemonster/
Private Swap Friendly
Fullmoon
Femailler

Artistic Spazzmatazz

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011 12:40:10 PM »

However, The Ring Lord can get a bit expensive at times, and the shipping is slow and painful because it comes from Canada. Cry

Cheesy Unless you live IN canada of course, then it's only a couple bucks for express, super fast shipping!! I love it!!

Wow, I am thinking of joining my first swap ever!!

Jealous!!! Lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

taraston
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011 05:26:28 PM »

I recently bought a magazine and decided I just had to have a bracelet I saw in it.  So I ask my son to make it for me.
 As usual I will have to learn to do it myself if I ever want one! So I am definitely going to start in June. After school gets out! 
So if an August mail out date is a definite, I am in! NOTE: I am a novice at chainmaile!!!  And have metal allergies so I will definitely be checking into the Anodized niobium.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

May a sunbeam warm you, a moonbeam charm you, and a craft idea hit like monkeys flinging poo.
Fullmoon
Femailler

Artistic Spazzmatazz

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2011 06:17:41 PM »

I recently bought a magazine and decided I just had to have a bracelet I saw in it.  So I ask my son to make it for me.
 As usual I will have to learn to do it myself if I ever want one! So I am definitely going to start in June. After school gets out! 
So if an August mail out date is a definite, I am in! NOTE: I am a novice at chainmaile!!!  And have metal allergies so I will definitely be checking into the Anodized niobium.

I may end up starting sign ups in mid to late may / early June, but yes send outs will be in August.

Niobium can be costly, so shopping around a bit may be useful.

Also, depending on how bad your metal allergies are, you may be able to wear aluminum and nickel free surgical steel.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Design a Club Flyer - Finishing Up Part 14/14
How to Whiten Teeth in Photoshop
How to Design a Club Flyer - Creating a Logo Part 6/14
How to Design a Club Flyer - 3D Perspective Part 7/14
How to Design a Club Flyer - Working with Text Part 9/14
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...