A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,456
Currently Running With Scissors:
641 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Earth is blooming (and eating my desk)!!!!!!  (Read 4205 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thoughtspeech
« on: May 08, 2011 11:11:54 PM »

This is a free-form crochet project that I decided to turn into a challenge entry when I saw this month's challenge posted. It's a ruffled pillow, inspired by the hills and hills of wildflowers near my house. It's symbolic of a blooming Earth in the spring, as I decided to incorporate elements that represent water, soil, greenery, and sand, as well as the wildflowers that were my original intention.

Also, another inspiration of mine was a book by Jacques Cousteau. The pillow resembles a coral, showing the prominence of the oceans despite the surface color scheme of vibrant greens and pastels. A hint of the core of the work can be see, and it is a deep, rich blue. I think the coral really resembles the state of the Earth, because a slight imbalance can lead to decalcification and difficulties for coral. It takes years to see visible growth in a coral reef, and yet they have become a staple of marine life, showing the lasting beauty of the Earth. Coral reefs can be seen as oases of the oceans, which are mostly made up of large expanses of watery desert. On a larger scale, the Earth is a small oasis of life in a universe that otherwise appears void of life in every direction (as far as we know). On a microscopic scale, this pillow resembles the mitochondria, which has much surface area, but little volume for efficient use of its membranes in animal cells. Nature is so elegant!

From a crafter's point of view, this is GREAT for stash reduction. In the ruffled regions, a skein will only give you about four rows, at most, as I decided to do overlapping rows, which give it more structure. Thus, this project has taken me about four to five skeins so far, and yet is a space-conserving model (as I said, lots of surface area, small volume). I plan to continue this project, finishing up more of my stash.

The only drawback would be the time it takes to complete one row- about an hour and a half. My fingers hurt, and unfortunately I can't do my homework or read while crocheting because the thing eats up my desk space. The notebook in the picture above is a standard notebook with 8.5x11 paper. I can't watch a movie, either. The widescreen monitor (which usually is unaffected) is obstructed.

Despite all of the drawbacks, though, there's a satisfying *thud* whenever I drop this. Smiley

The height is about five to six inches. I began this project with a loom knitter's magic circle, which can be found in this pattern: http://www.box.net/shared/6v6c7y2zib

I also used the above pattern to make the flat base for my pillow (I could have used a bath puff method, but, as I said, this was free form. Feel free to experiment.)

Then, I increased randomly and erratically to create the large ruffles, ceasing when I decided I'd rather just knit overlapping rows.

Stay tuned for more updates on this!!! This isn't the last you'll see of it! I'll keep adding my stash to it, just so I can see what happens. I wonder how big I can get it to be....
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011 11:16:16 PM by thoughtspeech » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011 02:36:57 AM »

Wow, that's fantastic, and huge! What a lot of fun. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
thoughtspeech
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011 07:17:24 AM »

Thanks so much! I'm glad you like it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rai2fai2
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011 11:09:37 PM »

AMAZING!!!!! I know that took some serious endurance! But it definitely paid off  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
owlet
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011 03:32:26 PM »

Not your everyday pillow but extremely cool and cozy looking Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

+++some owls wander by mistake+++

http://bohemiancrafting.blogspot.com
Marley.Janee

When can I fall into Wonderland

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011 11:10:37 AM »

That is crazy! I bet that took alot of work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Social Media and Phones Ruin Your Skin
How to Apply Bright Bold Lipstick
Sun-Kissed Makeup at the Rachel Zoe SS 2014 Fashion Show
Mexican Inspired Makeup at the Rebecca Minkoff SS 2014 Fashion Show
Modern Indigenous Makeup at the Nicholas K SS 2014 Show
Latest Blog Articles
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...