A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,034
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 100% recycled jar candles - with TUTORIAL  (Read 2800 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

foreverfrida

Guess what?........Pig Butt.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 03, 2005 06:40:02 PM »

Okay

So I am frantically trying to pull of a wedding in a little over a month with a budget of like, $3.80 (okay, it's a little bit more than that. but only a little) This means LOTS of diy/craft projects.

I made these jar candled to provide lighting on the porch (the wedding is in this really cool cabin). I think I will wrap wire around the rims and then into a loop, so that I can hang them up. I just did them, and have never made candles before. These were so cheap, it's ridiculous. Probably $0.30 each. Really!! The wire might add more, but not much more.

Supplies:

-Clean, dry Glass Jars (get all the labels off first. wd40 works great for this)
-wooden chopstick
-metal pitcher (I used one that i got from the thrift shop for $1. It was made to hold bacon drippings. Yum. I love the south. It's ideal since it has a pour spout with a built in strainer)
-Pot big enough to hold pitcher
-old, broken, half used candles.
-butter knife
-aluminum foil

Okay, first, you should sort the candles out by color. If you mix too many different colors, you get ugly grey candles. It's just like watercolor paints. But you can mix red and yellow ones to get orange, etc...

Now you want to get the wicks out so that you can use them in your new candles. This doesn't work on the tapers, just the ones with the metal tabs on the bottom. Flip over the candle, and use the butter knife to loosen the tab and then slide it out along with the wick.

It should slide right out. If not, flip the candle over and wiggle around the part of the wick sticking up out of the top of candle. This usually does the trick.

Here are a bunch of wicks I took out

Now fill the metal pitcher up about half way with the candles. The tapers need to be snapped in half first. Don't worry about putting in candles that still have their wicks, the wax will melt and the wick will just sink to the bottom.

Put the pitcher in the pot and fill the pot 2/3 full with water. Put the pot on LOW heat on the stove. It will take awhile for it to completely melt. Maybe 30 minutes or so. You can use the chopstick to stir the wax and check for any unmelted chunks in the bottom of the pitcher.

Now, line up the jars on a nearbly hard surface which you have covered with a sheet of aluminim foil.

Once the wax in completely melted, pour an inch or two into each jar. After you have poured the wax. Place a wick with its metal tab in the center of each jar, metal end down (duh). You can use the chopstick to help you slide the wick to the center if you need to.

Let them cool completely. There will be a big dip in the surface, which can be avoided by doing a second pour to fill in the hole before everything is set. But I'm not that picky, and these will be hanging.

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/15069P6030013.jpg

There you go! Ridiculoulsy cheap Mood Lighting!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013 01:42:13 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Other finished projects at my blog, The Finished Object
recyclednew
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005 07:00:23 PM »

awsome! Great idea! Thanks for the tutorial!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

art is a drug in which i cannot live without!
jubileebud

Yummie Doodles

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005 10:25:34 PM »

Ohhh! I love it!! Very nice idea and sooo easy!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redwood_gal
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2005 12:05:28 PM »

Muy impresivo! Would you mind sharing what other DIY wedding projects you're doing (hopefully with pics)? My wedding is in September, and I'd love to be inspired by your craftiness.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HoneyBadger
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011 03:34:14 PM »

This is such a cool idea! Thanks for posting  Grin I'm definitely making some!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dear Mods, me and my sister share a computer and our address is the same! Please don't block our accounts! <3
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Nails Grow Longer and Stronger
Expert Shares Best Beauty Products That Are Good For You & The Environment
How to Transition Your Makeup For Warmer Weather
How to Apply Glitter Eyeshadow
Rachel Zoe: Achieving Personal Style
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...