A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,579
Currently Running With Scissors:
499 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Have I quilted enough?  (Read 793 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

korok

Whoever dies with the most fabric wins!

View Profile WWW
« on: May 08, 2011 05:54:51 PM »

I'm working on my first quilt, and I went all out and I am making a queen sized quilt!  I am machine quilting it, and it is so heavy and I'd love to be done quilting it so I can bind it and be finished, but I am not sure if I have quilted it enough.  My quilt is based on a Film in the Fridge quilt called Postcards from the Park http://www.filminthefridge.com/2010/03/15/postcards-from-the-park/ I quilted straight lines horizontally- one stitch in the ditch across, and one line on each side of that, so from the back you see three quilted lines about an inch apart, and then a space of about 3 inches (on the front that is the bulk of the colour of the block).  I like the way it looks on the front (and back) -( sorry no picture of my quilt - it is dark here, and bad lighting) - but mostly I don't want to quilt another line or two across each block!  So, how much does one need to quilt a quilt?  I used Warm and White batting, if that makes a difference.  I'll quilt more if it means the quilt will last longer or stay together better.  It's my first, so I want it to last!

Thanks for your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anaximander
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011 07:09:41 AM »

The "warm and..." battings can be quilted up to 10" apart, so you're more than fine with what you've got. Most battings will say somewhere on the label how far apart they need to be quilted without shifting problems, and if it looks good to you, it's perfect Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
korok

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011 05:22:51 AM »

Thank you!  I don't know where the label was!

Does the 10" apart include if I only quilt horizontally?  So, I have 3 inches high between quilting, but then that goes the whole width of the quilt no quilting, until the side border.  Is that okay?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anaximander
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011 06:59:59 AM »

That should be fine. If you were *only* quilting 10" apart horizontally, then maybe there'd be a bit more concern about shift, but 3" apart is quite closely quilted, in my opinion, and I honestly can't wait to see the finished product Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
korok

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011 05:19:51 PM »

Awesome!!! Thank you very much!  I hope to finish the quilt this weekend (?) and I am excited to be done!  I figure if I need to, I can go back and do some more machine quilting later.  I'm sure that's a quilting sin, but I'm not selling it, I just want it on my bed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anaximander
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011 09:12:02 PM »

It's not a quilting sin at all, I've done it a few times. A lot of times I'll finish something, and find that one part of the design is heavier or lighter than the other (ah, the joys of free motion quilting on a domestic machine, thank god I'm nearly done with that) and go back and retouch later. What I'd be a *little* leery of is washing the quilt, and then quilting more later - I don't preshrink, though, and preshrinking materials negates this), so most of mine "hang out" for a day or three on the couch while I make up my mind.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
korok

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011 06:42:16 AM »

More good tips!  Thanks!  I always prewash all my fabrics because I use them for clothing too, so no worries there, but I'll keep that in mind in case I change my ways.  I'm just figuring what to use for binding so I can do that when I have some time this weekend. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011 09:35:48 AM »

I often add quilting after I am "done."  I like to quilt until I have quilted "enough" to trim the edges and add the binding.  I really like to get rid of all that excess backing and batting that hangs over the edges. Plus I also cannot always make up my mind, so I mostly finish a quilt, then spend time using it while I ponder its future.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
korok

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011 04:34:14 AM »

Good to know!  Thanks!  This is my first large quilt (others have been mini quilts) and while I am not using a pattern, and sorta doing things my way, I would like to make sure it stays together and lasts.  I will happily quilt it more after it's done if it seems to need it! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cmoore
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011 08:36:47 AM »

There is a difference between how much you have to quilt and how much you should quilt. The latter is usually more than the former and has to do with aesthetics as well as function. Quilts look better with more quilting because of the texture it adds. They also hold together nicer and the layers are more of a unit. At 3 inch lines you've probably quilted as much as you need to, but I would add some sort of vertical lines-not because you have to, but because it would probably look better texturally. You can always think about it and add them later if you're tired of doing it.

That said, under-quilted quilts are a bit of a pet peeve of mine, because it's like they aren't finished the way they could be. Long live Welsh quilts...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Milan Shoe of the Day: Fendi
Style Guide: Black On Black
Styling Ideas for Winter Boots and Coats
How to Wear a White Slogan T-Shirt
Tips for Pulling Off the Monochromatic Trend
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...