A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
633 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pre-quilting questions!  (Read 697 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MerryGlas
« on: May 15, 2011 07:48:24 AM »

Hi all,
I recently became the proud owner of a sewing machine (which is over twenty years older than me - at least one of us knows what to do  Smiley) and I am really keen to make a quilt. I'm a complete machine novice (although I can hand-sew) - are there any particular techniques or methods that I could practise before I get onto an actual quilt? Also, is there a really simple, hassle-free pattern that anyone could recommend as a starter quilt? I can't afford to splash out on any fancy equipment so if I can make do with scissors, cotton, fabric and my machine that would be perfect Smiley
Thanks, M x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011 02:57:22 PM »

Quilting has been going on for hundreds of years. I guarantee in 1810 they were using pretty simple materials. You don't need to shell out lots for fabric and notions.

My tips:

You can find patterns and tips here: http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/printable-patterns.html or there are I'm sure hundreds of sites out there.  My local library also has about 5 shelves full of quilting books.

If you haven't yet, I'd recommend getting your old machine serviced to make sure it's in good order; it will save lots of headaches later.

Start small, like with a pillow, to get used to the techniques.

Don't skimp on the in-between steps like ironing, trimming and basting.

Read up on free-motion quilting before you start if you plan to use that technique. It usually requires a hoop and lowering your machine's feed dogs.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2011 03:00:50 PM by Feast Your Eyes » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011 03:24:06 PM »

I ditto the comment about getting your machine serviced.  I have three machines, and two of them are older than me (1948 and 1953). . .  I love them to pieces.

One of the most important "skills" in quilting is accurate seam allowances.  The US standard is 1/4".  Learning to sew a consistent and accurate seam allowance will take your far!!

If you can spring for a rotary cutter, mat, 6" x 24" ruler, and a 1/4" presser foot, you will save a lot of time in the long run, and open a lot of quilting options.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
MerryGlas
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011 04:23:00 AM »

Thanks for the tips  Smiley I have a selection of presser feet that came with the machine, none of which are labelled, so I'll have a look to see if any happen to be 1/4"!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SimplySandy
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011 01:33:48 PM »

I agree with practicing 1/4 inch seam allowance.  Another important tip is cutting accuracy.  Just as 1/4 inch seam allowances are important, so is cutting accurately!  You should start small, a pillow, baby quilt or even a lap quilt.  Keep your pattern simple, too.  Maybe just squares, your fabric selection can make for a beautiful simple quilt.  Don't expect perfection.  Embrace your mistakes, they are what makes your quilt unique and that is how you learn.  Most importantly, have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best Shorts For Your Shape
Rachel Bilson Wears Sparkly 3.1 Phillip Lim at TCA 2013 Summer Party
Penelope Cruz Makes Directing Debut in Lingerie Film
How to Wear All White For Everything From Work to a Night Out!
Avril Lavigne Dishes on Black Wedding Dress
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...