A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,010
Currently Running With Scissors:
667 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: help! I think I'm creating a problem.  (Read 594 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sarabeth
« on: May 14, 2011 04:38:50 PM »

When I was planning my wedding I started to embroider a bunch of different pretty things on a big sheet to be my chuppah (canopy under which we'd be wed). I never finished it and now we have this giant unfinished sheet taking up space in our tiny apartment.

I came up with a crazy idea that I'd buy a plain duvet cover and applique the designs on to it. Then I realized that it might look odd.

Then I thought about buying some pretty fabrics and sewing them on to the duvet cover too and that's when I knew I was heading in to uncharted territory.

So my questions are:

Do I need a sewing machine for this?

Would it be easier to just craft a duvet cover from all these materials or make a quilt than to do it this way?

Any tips for a wayward embroiderer taking a left turn in to quilting?

What's a good beginners quilting book?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eamea
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011 03:01:52 PM »

Do I need a sewing machine for this?
You don't need one, but it's much faster and usually more accurate to use one.  I realize that everything used to be hand done, but there's not a chance I would tackle a quilt without a machine.

Would it be easier to just craft a duvet cover from all these materials or make a quilt than to do it this way?
For me it would be easier to make something new than to add to an existing duvet.  If you went the quilt route you likely wouldn't need to applique anything unless your embroidered designs are really close together.

Any tips for a wayward embroiderer taking a left turn in to quilting?
Welcome to the dark side. Smiley  I think the most important thing is to take the time to cut accurately.  When things are the right size they fit together nicely and your finished project will look better.  You can always fudge an incorrect piece when sewing, but cutting is really where it all starts.  If you are able to do it you should invest in a rotary cutter, mat, and cutting grid.  If that's not possible right now you can always use templates for marking and cutting out your pieces.  Most quilt directions will say to use 1/4" seams, but it's more important to be consistent than always at 1/4" IMHO.  I always use the same mark on my machine, and even though it's not 1/4" it's OK because I use the same line throughout the whole project.

What's a good beginners quilting book?

This is one area I can't help you at all.  I was taught to quilt when I was about 9 or 10 by family members, so I've never used books for learning technique.  Go to your library to see what they've got.  If you really like one you can go out and buy it, and if it ends up being not so great you haven't spent any money.  Best of luck, and be sure to post what you end up doing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's one in every family, and I'm an only child.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Apple Pie Chimichangas
How to Make Angel Food Cake
How to Make Crunchy Fried Bananas
How to Make Caramelised Pineapple
How to Make This Luscious Labneh with Berries
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...