A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 304,766
Currently Running With Scissors:
522 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Resin Bottle Cap Pendants - Gryffindor, Slytherin, Hufflepuff, Skull, Heart  (Read 2624 times)
Tags for this thread: gryffindor , hufflepuff , slytherin , harry_potter , skull , heart , anatomical , anatomical_heart  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 08, 2011 02:37:31 PM »

I made a ton of resin filled bottle caps a while back, and then promptly forgot to do anything else with them.   Roll Eyes  So I pulled some of them back out this weekend to turn into necklaces.  I think they came out pretty cute.  I am going to have to make more of them soon....

Gryffindor

Hufflepuff

Slytherin

Skull

Anatomical Heart

Enjoy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011 04:21:53 PM »

These are great! I love the jewels on the ends. How did you get the bails to hold onto the bottlecaps?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011 04:44:01 PM »

These are great! I love the jewels on the ends. How did you get the bails to hold onto the bottlecaps?

Thanks hgddm!  I use these BAILS from Hobby Lobby.  I attach them with some E6000.  I was afraid they wouldn't hold in the long term, but I have several that I made last summer that are still going strong a year later. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kimchery
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011 04:45:00 PM »

They are really neat!!!  I like the Slytherin one.   I have a question, though...   What kind of resin did you use, and was it difficult?  I have had a yearning to make bottlecap pendants similar to these for years.  A few weeks ago I bought some epoxy resin and different molds for it, but after pulling out the directions I decided I should put it up til I had some time to concentrate on 'getting it right'.  It says on the box simply mix and pour, but in reality they make the mixing process sound pretty difficult, and prone to screw-ups.  I'm dying to try it, but every time I think about scraping the mixing instrument and transferring it to another cup to mix it again, my enthusiasm dies.  What did you think, if you used that type?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011 06:56:25 PM »

Hi Kim!  I used this Easycast Casting Epoxy Resin, which I found at Hobby Lobby.  It was easy to mix and pour.  These pendants were the result of several different attempts at resin work.  Here are some tips I found (all from different sources) that helped:

#1.  Seal the images on both sides in packing tape.  Treat it like it's being laminated.  Really press the tape down and smooth out all air bubbles.  Use your nail around the edge of the images to really get a good seal.  Cut around the outside of the sealed edge.  Be careful and take your time.

#2.  Set up all your images and bottle caps in pairs, so you know what is going where. 

#3.  After mixing, pour your resin into a squeeze bottle from the craft store, and fill each charm from that. 

#4.  After you've filled all your bottle caps, take a wand lighter, and gently go over the top of each resin-filled cap with the flame.  Don't TOUCH the surface with the flame, just get close to it.  You'll notice all your bubbles popping and going away, leaving a crystal clear casting.

Hope that helps!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kimchery
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011 10:02:14 AM »

I just got my box down, that is the exact same brand that I got from Hobby Lobby too.  I'm so glad you said its easy to mix,... the directions make it sound as if you forget to scrape a stick it will throw the whole mixture off.  I'm going to go ahead and collect all my little baubles and things I've been making and saving because 'ooooh, that would look really neat cast in resin!'  and make up a workspace with everything I'll need and take the plunge and try a little.  I bought it and promised myself that it wouldn't be one of those things that I would just put off and forget about for a year.  I'm not sure of the shelf life at all.  So its just better to go ahead and try and get it over with! 

I got a mold to make a bangle with too, and I'm REALLY excited about that... but I want to try some little things and make sure I can mix it correctly and trouble shoot from there. 

Thanks for all the tips!  Especially for the reassurance that I wont need a degree in chemistry to mix and pour...   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chrmisha

"I always wanted to use that spell"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011 10:55:45 AM »

I love these, and they are sooo easy to do! I made ones with letters last year to give as Christmas gifts. I used the clear mixing epoxy-resin as well, which was a bit of a pain in the butt, but worth it for how it dried clear and looked professional. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Optical Slave Flash For Any Camera
Building a DIY Flash Diffuser
DIY Light Socket Multiplication
Building an Affordable Posing Table
How to Choose a Great Flashlights
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...