A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 299,161
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Covering laminate kitchen cupboards?  (Read 814 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Nobodyhasthisoneyet
« on: May 07, 2011 06:41:51 PM »

Hello all, long time no post!

I have a *very* old house that used to be a rental, so it was renovated on the cheap - think scratchy beige nylon carpets and cream walls!  It also has a set of cheap laminated chipboard kit-cupboards in the kitchen.  They're quite serviceable (well, other than one door that's falling apart!) but very cheap and nasty looking.  They're also beige, and I have an ideological objection to beige. 

I can't afford to replace the cupboards, and even putting new doors on is beyond my budget.  I've put new handles on, put that's really just putting a party hat on a dead horse.

I've looked into painting them, but that special laminate paint's really expensive, and I've heard it doesn't always work anyway.  Would painting them with normal paint work? Maybe an oil-based gloss? Maybe some sort of undercoat, or at least a light sanding, would make it 'stick' better?

My other idea was to cover them in fabric, using white glue as an adhesive - that way, if it all goes horribly wrong, it can just peel off.  But it'd need some sort of sealant over the top, so spills or grubby cat pawprints could be wiped off rather than staining the fabric.... Not sure if some sort of regular varnish would do the job, or I'd have to go for the special kitchen sealant made by the same company as makes the laminate paint.  And it's similarly expensive!

My other other idea was contact, or whatever that sticky plastic used to cover books is called these days.  But would that just look terribly cheap and tacky?

Any advice on any of these options?  Any other ideas?

Ta! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No longer online regularly - if you need to contact me, try tweeting @artsieaspie.  Sorry for the inconvenience!
ChipNClancysMom

Where Martha Stewart meets Martha Raye!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011 05:47:29 PM »

We moved into a house last summer and I had to make a choice between new cabinets or new appliances...we just didn't have the budget for both. I chose new appliances and painted the ugly dark brown laminate cabinets a cranberry red.  Just take your time and they will turn out great.

I did scratch them up a tiny bit with sandpaper. Then I primed them. After that it was two coats of semigloss enamel applied with a paint pad. It has been almost a year and there is no peeling. I have read that you can seal them with a clear coat, but I didn't and they are doing fine. I was really scared to do it, but once I saw how it turned out and how it has held up, I wanted to kick myself for not trying it in other places I have lived.

Here are two pictures...they are way more red in real life.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
SunflowerSmiles
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011 06:11:53 PM »

This is one of my favorite colors I decorate with. This looks beautiful!  Nice job Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Kim Kardashian
How to Draw Kif Kroker From Futurama
How to Draw Justin From Total Drama Action
Creating Multiple Versions Of Your Photo in Camera Raw
How to Draw Jumpy Ghost Face
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...