A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,729
Currently Running With Scissors:
601 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What should I do with a BUNCH of WHITE YARN?!  (Read 1256 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tarr0011
« on: May 07, 2011 12:52:16 PM »

Hiiiii!!

I was given a bag full of yarn yesterday by my office secretary. Oh my gosh, you guys know the feeling of being given a garbage bag full of yarn...it's pretty much sheer bliss as your blood temperature rises, while you're imagining all the possibilities.

There is a lot of great stuff in it...some fun vintage rug yarn which I always find projects for, and some other nice colors and textures. But!!! There are six balls of just plain old cotton worsted weight white yarn. These balls are BIG too. I'd say there's as much yarn in one as those big 1 pound skeins you can get for like 8 bucks.

So what should I do with it?? it's not nice enough feeling really to make any clothes, I know that...but can this kind of yarn make good scarves or gloves??

I was thinking maybe even this blanket i've been wanting to make on lion brand, but again, the texture, will it be cozy??

http://www.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/patternView.fcgi?itemKey=1922244224

maybe this cool rug?

http://www.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/patternView.fcgi?itemKey=1922244712

but who wants a WHITE rug??

When I've asked people "what should I do wtih all this white yarn" they often respond "make snowmen!" How many snowmen can one woman make?!?!! haha

Any ideas?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lionne
brain and food color eating were-zombie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011 01:00:37 PM »

Knit Sylvie (if you're on Ravelry). I bet this would look just wonderful in white.

Dye the yarn.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/lionne

I'm interested in personal swaps.
For a project I'm in need of Christmas countdown inchies! If you're interested and/or want more information feel free to pm me.
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011 07:47:50 PM »

Dye the yarn.  Wink

That's what I was thinking! Then you could make any color rug that you wanted! Or any color anything, for that matter.

And, a cotton afghan can be very cozy, especially if it has a dense stitch pattern, which that one looks like it does (and thanks for sharing that link- I would love to make that! I may have to make a practice swatch of a tree, first to see if my skills are good enough!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
Silvana

Leaving the world more beautiful than I found it.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011 03:47:59 PM »

Dye the yarn.  Wink

Totally agree.
Although I do love a nice white throw blanket.  And one of my favorite throws is a simple knitted cotton.  It is like cuddling in an old loved sweater.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tarr0011
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011 06:26:06 PM »

Wonderful! Thanks for the advice you guys!

I decided on the blanket just because I've been in need of an easier on-going project.

I am running into an issue though...as much yarn as I've been given, it's not enough to make the entire blanket. I have enough for 2/3rds of it. So! I was thinking I can rip my hair out trying to find a similar shade of yarn..OR! Would it be too late to dye the yarn post-crochet? once the blanket is completed?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011 06:55:29 PM »

I'd guess that if you have a large enough tub/vat/bucket to fit the completed blanket into that you could dye it. If the yarn would take the dye before it was crocheted, it'll take it afterwards. And, you could also play around with some dye effects (ombre, tie dye, random color pours, etc.), which could hide the fact that a different dye lot might take the dye slightly differently (I tea-dyed a lace dress once, and the front and back sides came out in different shades).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
kristel1978
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011 11:36:02 AM »

If you have any yarn left after your blanket, you could make this loofah:

http://befriendmantic.blogspot.com/2009/06/free-pattern-perfect-loofah.html

It's what I did with my white cotton yarn  Smiley!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lisa.Awesome
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011 11:10:59 PM »

For the most part, I'd think the dye should take fairly evenly; the only issue I'd think of would be if your stitching were particularly tight, in which case not all of the yarn might get evenly-applied dye.  Beyond that, blankets are always lovely worsted-weight projects.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
peihan17
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011 08:48:48 AM »

I made that blanket just a few months ago!  I love it and it's gorgeous, though I have to hide it so it doesn't get gray cat hair all over Grin  I never posted it on craftster because it was cloudy out forever and the pictures just weren't very nice. 

I used the suggested yarn (Lion Wool-Ease) and it is very warm.  I ended up not making the ruffled border (just sc'ed around the edges instead) and ended up with several skeins leftover (4 extra out of the recommended 15), so you might still have enough, tarr0011.  If not, you could always shorten or nix entirely the space between the two rows of trees.

Lionne, the blanket wasn't very hard- the trees are all backpost/front post, and the flower things are pretty straightforward too.  I just wish Lion's patterns would give you bigger/clearer pictures- sometimes they're at a weird angle and you can't see anything useful!

I'm going to try to post a pic of the one I made soon, even though DC is experiencing its yearly monsoon season  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pro personal swaps and always open to a penpal!  PM me =)

Wist :: Etsy :: Flickr
tarr0011
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011 04:11:57 PM »

thank you guys!!! yu're all so helpful. I really like the idea of the loofa - may just use some different yarn for that - thanks for the link to the pattern kristel.

and I am almost done with the blanket, but am running out of yarn...I found a really close color and will probably just leave it. Luckily, I'm not a huge perfectionist and the blank will be in a dimly-lit TV room, so no one will notice right? hehe.

and I agree Peihan17!! the pattern is not hard at all. It's nice because it's sort of mindless but you still get the vary your stitches. And I'm also so with you on lionbrand providng pictures. I was a little stumped on the little flower section, but was able to get my questions answered from the user-submitted photos, so I will defintely  remember that technique for next time.

Thanks again all :!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Prevent Nail Damage from Gel Manicures
Makeup Tips from the Lash Lounge
Skincare Tips from Dermatologist Debra Jaliman, MD.
Em Cosmetics by Michelle Phan Review
When to Flush Your Brush
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...