A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 304,743
Currently Running With Scissors:
709 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A dress that kindof makes me feel like a sailor.  (Read 6892 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

yarrrg
« on: June 03, 2005 05:03:39 PM »

I was at the fabric store a few weeks ago and saw this fabric that just screamed "SAILOR!!111" at me... a lovely blue and white striped material. It looks quite dark in the picture but trust me, it's blue. Blue like Davy Jones' locker.  Anyways, I made it with the intention of being a sailor girl in it, but after I finished I realized that I failed at making it look very sailor-ish. 

It's got a dropped waist and the skirt is just a simple circle skirt. The chest area was somewhat difficult to do but worked out quite well. I'm a bit pissed at myself that I didn't draft any sort of pattern for this at all so I can't recreate the top part.  But it was really just two rather large triangles. I gathered them at the bottom and sewed them onto the main dress, and added a few darts to make it a bit more fitted. There are no darts in the main part of the dress (but I kindof like that) and it zips up at the back.

I've got some sweet anchor button things that I will be adding to it as soon as I stop being so lazy, that way if someone disputes my claim that it's a sailor dress, I can prove them wrong!

I wore it to a party a few weeks ago and discovered that a) it's fun to twirl in, b) it's fun to make people dizzy with and c) I shouldn't wear circle skirts on a windy day while intoxicated.

I really like to ramble. But here's the dress!!

« Last Edit: April 28, 2009 08:08:35 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged
surfergrl311

&& don't be so so sure. this is all it adds up to

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005 05:09:21 PM »

that is so frikkin awesome!! i love it! any possible chance of a tutorial...i know they are hard w/ clothing but i would love to make one as well! and yes i could see your reasons in how it could make people dizzy! Cheesy great job! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yarrrg
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005 06:06:25 PM »

Arg, I don't think I can do a tutorial. It's really not too difficult at all, the only part that gave me any trouble was the top part which was really just two triangles. The whole dress was made by trying it on every few minutes and adjusting until it fit. 

I'm sorry Sad I honestly did open mspaint and drew a few pictures but then my description of each part of the pictures ended up long and confusing because I can't keep myself from rambling and including irellevant details resulting in horrifically long run-on sentances... :p  Would it help if I drew little pictures of each piece and let you figure it out? I'll try again and post with a brief (or as brief as I can get) description of how it was made.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
surfergrl311

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005 06:13:54 PM »

Arg, I don't think I can do a tutorial. It's really not too difficult at all, the only part that gave me any trouble was the top part which was really just two triangles. The whole dress was made by trying it on every few minutes and adjusting until it fit. 

I'm sorry Sad I honestly did open mspaint and drew a few pictures but then my description of each part of the pictures ended up long and confusing because I can't keep myself from rambling and including irellevant details resulting in horrifically long run-on sentances... :p  Would it help if I drew little pictures of each piece and let you figure it out? I'll try again and post with a brief (or as brief as I can get) description of how it was made.

oh thats fine..don't worry about it! sometimes its hard finding the words to describe what ya did w/ out rambling! i do it too!  Grin you did an awesome job though! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yarrrg
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005 06:41:34 PM »

Okay, it's a little rough around the edges but if you use the basic ideas shown it should help you out! Obviously it's not going to be exact because I did not draft a pattern and for the most part just tried it on every few minutes and kept adjusting.  If you really want to make this, I suggest you get some broadcloth or something to try it out first!  Also, if anyone has a better way of doing the triangle-ish parts, please share!

If you have any questions or need clarification on any part, please don't hesitate to ask!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010 08:50:14 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
surfergrl311

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005 07:02:42 PM »

thanks i get the basic idea from this so it works fine! thanks!! Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005 09:17:30 PM »

nice dress and tutorial! Love the fact that you just 'winged it' and your result  turned out great! It looks like it would be fun to twirl in!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

iheartalex
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2005 12:22:07 PM »

awesome
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Orchid
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2005 08:07:14 PM »

Great dress! I love the stripeyness, even though it does sort of make you dizzy. Especially good considering you didn't use a pattern!

~Orchid
THIS ROCKS   Logged
squirrellypoo

Sew sew sew scandalous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2005 06:28:42 AM »

oh wow. I have an almost identical dress I bought last summer from Jasper Conran! You're officially a designer now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fehr Trade - custom clothing
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Change a Color in an Image With the Fill Command in Photoshop CS3
How to Change a Color in an Image With the Paint Bucket Tool in Photoshop CS3
How to Change Eye Color in Photoshop CS3
How to Change Layer Opacity in Photoshop CS3
How to Change Ruler Measurements in InDesign CS3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...