A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
472 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hair Falls made with Pistachio Shells and Pop tabs  (Read 4300 times)
Tags for this thread: pistachio_shell , hair_fall , pistachio , pop_tab  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mieljolie
« on: May 06, 2011 04:14:48 PM »

I love finding ways to avoid throwing things away.  This time the daughter and I came up with a project to use a container full of pistachio shells I've been saving.

This past Easter we had leftover egg dye that we didn't want to go to waste. So we dug out the nut shells and dyed some of them.  Then we began contemplating what to do with them.  Daughter is planning to make a bracelet, but I had other plans.  Cheesy

I wanted hair falls.  The kind tribal belly dancers wear.  To me, the pistachio shells look very similar to the cowrie shells.

Well, maybe from a great distance.  Smiley 

As you can see in this pic above, I also made one using pop tabs.  I tried a bunch of  different ways to string the shells and tabs.  I'm working on yet another different variation for the tabs.

I realize I didn't use many of the dyed shells on this pair of hair falls.  I will be making others, but wanted to experiment first.

This was a really fun project.  If you want to read more about the hair falls, check out my craft blog here.  I also talk about the egg and shell dying here,  And, the pop tabs are on my "tabistry" blog here.

As an added bonus, the shells made a nice pattern on the papers we dried them on.  I think I'm going to use it as end sheets for a hand bound journal.

Thanks for looking!  I appreciate any/all comments.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cutiemonster
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011 04:46:27 PM »

These are crazy awesome!  What an awesome use for pistachio shells!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011 09:09:09 AM »

They look great, I am sort of shocked they are pistachio shells. Even though really maybe I shouldn't be? After all, many falls have animal shells.

I love these. Do you trade?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anna Iv
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011 12:05:07 PM »

Such wonderful ideas! You are so creative!

I also always hesitate throwing away pistachio shells, but I have never had a clear idea of how to use them, besides, only God knows what my hubby would think of me  Shocked  Though, I've already tried his patience by creating wall hanging pictures from painted rice, beans, and cone seeds...  Your work is really inspiring!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mieljolie
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011 06:05:48 PM »

...After all, many falls have animal shells...Do you trade?

Yeah, guess these shells are more humane (and tasty!).  Cheesy  Oooo...I love trading!  PM me with your thoughts.  Smiley

...God knows what my hubby would think of me  Shocked  Though, I've already tried his patience by creating wall hanging pictures from painted rice, beans, and cone seeds...

LOL!  My man has already come to grips with my insanity.  Cheesy  I'm a pack rat with no hope of a cure.  Where others pick up stray animals, I take in stray things.  It's nice to give them a new life.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

imera
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011 06:51:33 AM »

They are great, I love that you used pistachio shells, seen some amazing crafts with them
THIS ROCKS   Logged

appatite
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011 08:28:56 AM »

That's a really neat concept, you've done a really good job on these!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stones and Findings: Stones, chains, pearls, Sterling Silver and indie-designed unique findings!
http://www.stonesandfindings.com
Make it beautiful Smiley
pieknits
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011 11:09:25 AM »

Wow great creative uses! Love the final results too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Your New Summer Tee: Think Prints!
Closet Essentials Every Woman Needs
4 Hot Summer Concert Outfits
Look Great in Stripes
4 Foolproof Ways to Jump on the Leather Shorts Trend
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...