A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,456
Currently Running With Scissors:
541 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Squirrel Paws Furry Earrings  (Read 6900 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amigurl55

I already did!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2011 09:37:54 PM »

I probably wouldn't wear them for everyday, but I do like the idea that someone said about using them for cosplay.  I also like the idea of them holding something, an acorn, or maybe something more "mystic" like a glass marble.  I think they're pretty cool.

Not sure how I feel about the "mature" tag, although that's why I clicked this thread from the front page.  LOL. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I told you: I only wrote that poem to test my printer!

My etsy shop: http://dollycouture55.etsy.com
joelstitch
Post-Apocalyptic Gear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2011 09:51:45 PM »

Awesome.  FWIW, I only clicked the thumbnail because it was marked MATURE.  I know that's where they put all the good stuff ;-) ;-)  I saw a guinea pig hair comb once that I would love to have.  That artist uses animals that die naturally. I feel like (ethically) am doing way more harm by purchasing factory farmed chicken at the grocery IMO and, for what it's worth, when I die (of accident or illness or age if I'm lucky) I'd be ok with my parts being turned into whatever wearable art anyone came up with.

I know who your talking about, she's a great artist
THIS ROCKS   Logged

t33ng1rlsqu4d
Throw him to the Balrogs!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2011 01:10:47 AM »

I don't personally find taxidermy offensive enough to be marked as mature. This, however, is coming from a girl who currently has a rat tail in her pocket and feathers in her hair.  Tongue

I just spent a while perusing your website. I am in love with this stuff, especially the bird legs and wings. I may have to treat myself to a new pair of earrings soon!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011 01:19:31 AM by t33ng1rlsqu4d » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gr33nT3a
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2011 02:50:05 AM »

I feel like some people get worked up about the oddest things. I appreciate that you put the time in the description that you gathered the pelt from a roadkill and showed that you didn't go out with a slingshot with the intention of hunting a squirrel down to make earrings out of.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if I would wear these. The idea of those little claws scratching along my cheek while wearing them kind of gives me the heebies! I think they would look really cool if you wore one at a time though in a mismatched set. Maybe one foot and one feather earing?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Běifāng yǒu jiārn, jush r dl. Y g qīng rn chng, zi g qīng rn gu. Nng b zhī qīng chng yǔ qīng gu. Jiārn nn zi d.
北方有佳人,绝世而独立。一顾倾人城,再顾倾人国。宁不知倾城与倾国。佳人难再得。
smallhold
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2011 08:57:27 AM »

Clever use of what was going to be wasted anyway. Rather green creativity me thinks.
Indeed a sparkly `jewel`held in the paw just for contrast, would attract my attention even more.
I like it. But then again I believe in not wasting anything on the planet if can be avoided. So credit for not using fake fur, lots of glue and other artificial stuff. which does have it place in crafting, BIG TIME  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Hi, my name is Smallhold and I compulsively collect looms."
"Hi Smallhold."
Mommakitn
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2011 09:21:50 AM »

Im an extreme animal lover yet I see nothing wrong with creating something out of roadkill its like finding a dresser and giving it new life. Though I dont envy whoever had to pick up the poor little guy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
7daytrial
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2011 07:30:49 PM »

I definitely don't think these need a mature tag but whatevs.

These are pretty awesome! I'm torn between thinking that I'd like a finished cap on the end and thinking that they are pretty perfect the way they are. I know lots of folks that could pull these off every day but I think I would have to limit it to costumes a faires. I'm afraid I'd get a little tired one day and nod off, wake up and think something was attacking me, then rip my ear off trying to "defend myself".

Beautiful work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
curiousfae

meccaleccahi- meccahineyho!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2011 08:32:19 PM »

the up-side to the 'mature' tag is that it gets WAAAAY more views....2500+ right now!

i work in a clinical laboratory for an animal college/hospital and someone collected worms from a dog and made earrings out of them (eeewwwww) to wear to conference. i can almost guarantee if they were posted here they would not in fact have a mature tag. wonder why? poor mr. worm. no big eyes and fuzzy fur puts you pretty low on the sympathy ladder. Cry

i too looked at your website (another plus side to the mature tag) and found your stuff really interesting. i agree that the claws would be kinda scratchy on the neck or cheek but other than that i would totally wear these! i like the bird legs myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
joelstitch
Post-Apocalyptic Gear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2011 06:10:52 AM »

Thanks everybody for all the feedback. About the scratchy thing, I dont think is that scratchy and I can always sand the claws a little. I think next time I will try to make the paws hold something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

carinafox5

yes, husband, I spent THAT much at Hobby Lobby 0:)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2011 09:32:13 AM »

You know, as a kid... I remember buying rabbit feet from a gumball machine for a quarter. Everytime we went to that store that had the machine... I always tried to make sure I had a quarter.. I tore through the couch... under the couch etc. As a result, I had many, many rabbit feet. I don't see this as anything too different. Though, I often wondered as I got older if those poor bunnies lost their feet for me... or if they were already "gone" anyhow.

That being said... I think these are awesome, but... the thing that would keep me from wearing them is how curled up the paws appear to be.. Almost makes it too creepy for me to want to wear. Like the poor thing shriveled up or something. But, if the paws were a smidge straighter and not so curved back (I know this happens naturally.. but maybe you can let it dry positioned to be a bit more straight.) it wouldn't make me feel like they'd scratch up against my neck or right behind/below my ear. They would just seem a bit less creepy.. I just hope I am making sense here..  Maybe it's because I prefer the rabbit foot look, who knows. But, I think you are doing a really neat thing. You're making really cool wearable art and recycling at the same time!

I have also checked out your site... I love that bobcat pouch! If it had a little stylish wrist-strap/chain etc. attached to a corner of it, something to better hold onto it without manhandling the pouch furry part and without adding a shoulder strap or something huge and obtrusive.. I'd totally carry it around with me Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Forget Edward and Jacob...Team Jareth Smiley
http://wists.com/carinafox5
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Simple Levitation in Photoshop
How to Create a Tan in Photoshop
How to Add Sound in Adobe After Effects CS3
How to Create Depth of Field in Photoshop
How to Create Slow Motion in Sony Vegas
Latest Blog Articles
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...