A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,709
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: dyeing cashmere?  (Read 1114 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gouge
« on: June 03, 2005 03:46:54 PM »

I got a great cashmere sweater for like 5 bucks at a flea market.  The only problem is, it's bright coral pink and it's just a little too intense for me.  I was thinking about trying to dye it black, but I have no idea how to go about it.  It's a pretty thick, dense knit, so I'm not even sure how to get the dye to penetrate it completely.  Have any of y'all tried anything like this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pedeka

I love being a girl.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005 05:50:26 PM »

I just wanted to ask this question again. I got a beautiful butter yellow Ralph Lauren 100% cashmere sweater - still had the tags on it - at the Goodwill today. It fits perfectly right now. The color makes me look kind of green so I wanted to try to dye it and am afraid that hot water methods would shrink or ruin it. Has anyone tried this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cmoore
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005 03:08:04 PM »

Treat cashmere the same way as wool. This means you will use an acid dye, and go easy on the temperature changes and agitation. You will also need to wet the fibre out before dyeing-sometimes it takes hours of soaking for a wool yarn to wet out thoroughly. Be careful with the wet garment, of course, as you could stretch it out of shape.
For the record, black is the hardest colour to dye. You will need a good four times the amount of dye as any other colour-you might want to overdye a few times. If the colours are light though, I would try for another colour.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pedeka

I love being a girl.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005 05:48:05 AM »

I was thinking about maybe a green or aqua color that would go over the yellow well. I've never had blacks or purples turn out very well in other dyeing endeavors. I was just worried about the cashmere being fragile and having huge shrinkage issues.
Thank you for the reply.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cmoore
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005 03:55:06 PM »

Cashmere probably will have fragility and shrinking issues (as wool does), if you handle it carelessly. However, If you don't subject it to sudden temperature changes and stir or agitate it as little as possible, it should come through a dyeing session fine.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
kwicz
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2005 06:33:30 PM »

You might check any local knitting or spinning shops for acid dyes and advice.  It's my understanding that warm water, as long as there's absolutely no agitiation, is okay for cashmere but I wouldn't count on that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ma2maya
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005 09:48:18 PM »

Gleasons has an easy tutorial on dyeing wool. You can use Procion MX dyes too but Acid dyes will definately give you better color results on wool. Kool Aid is also an option as it is a food coloring which works on protien fibers.

Kathy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Desert Dyeworks Color, meet Fabric!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Walk in Their Shoes: Can One Person Change the World?
A Great Game by Stephen J. Harper
Tim Conway: What Are You Reading?
Christy Haubegger: The Starting Line
Christy Haubegger: A Latina Heroine
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...