A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
537 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hanna Andersson Day Dress for adult  (Read 785 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

yahtzee
« on: May 05, 2011 03:12:49 PM »

I really want a Hanna Andersson style day dress like this one:
http://img.iwascoding.com/3/2011/04/15/ED/2CD59B010F0D4246BFD96E9366483633.jpg
But for an adult. How difficult do you think it would be to make? (I'm sort of looking at it going "I really want this. But... So many buttons!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011 10:59:24 AM »

I don't think that would be all too difficult to make, really.  It looks similar to an adult style that was popular in the early 90's.  I don't know if you could find a single pattern for it, but you could really easily add a gathered rectangle skirt to a top, and finding a top like that would be easy enough.  Also, because grown-ups are built differently from kids, you'd actually need an opening to extend past the waist, most likely.  The easiest way to do that would actually be to do a zipper in the side or back, which means those buttons don't need to be usable!  You can sew them on permanently, and skip the buttonholes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
yahtzee
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011 06:04:52 PM »

Cool. Do you happen to know if the style had a particular name?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amazing_784
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011 09:10:43 PM »

You might try looking for babydoll dresses.  I remember that style when I was in elementary school in the 90's!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yahtzee
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011 09:33:02 PM »

Babydoll dresses are really cute, but if someone could guide me to a style with a waist that hits more around your natural waist, that would be great, because higher waisted dresses have a tendency of making me look rather large than I am...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
N30Nb100d
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011 06:23:45 PM »

I've had these 90s dresses for adults - they're so comfy. If I were making this dress I honestly wouldn't even use a dress pattern. It's made of knit fabric (like t-shirt material) so you can just trace a t-shirt that fits you well for a pattern. If you want functional buttons, cut the pattern down the middle and add a couple inches for the overlap before cutting it out in your fabric (do the same if you want a zipper, though with a knit fabric I'd stick with buttons because there's a good chance a zipper will go all wavy). Have the t-shirt come down to your waist, then just add a rectangle skirt. To make that, you just need a rectangle of fabric 2X the length of the bottom of the bodice, gathered to the bodice. I agree with Aislynn that the opening has to extend past the waist, so either more buttons or another closure. So for example if you were doing buttons with a rectangle skirt you'd attach it to the bodice with a seam center front so you can have overlap there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tiffi_333
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011 10:33:46 AM »

My mom actually had a bunch of these for the summer, i think she might still have some. it actually doesnt have a closer at the waist or in the back because its stretchy and kinda loose...it has a few buttons up front but thats it, you just throw it over your head and it goes on easily. She had one that didnt have a bunch of buttons in the front, and it just had one button in the back at the top to close the neckline. if you use the jersey or some stretch material youll be fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Rank Comic Books
How to Sketch Eyes
How to Draw Winged Hearts
How to Draw Graffiti Names
How to Draw Chibi Characters
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...