A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,758
Currently Running With Scissors:
418 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lots of Upholstery Fabric Swatches...what to make??  (Read 18665 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RenDuH

Let's go ask Mr. Beardsley. MISTER BEARDSLEEYY!!!

View Profile WWW
« on: May 05, 2011 10:35:39 AM »

SO.  I work at La-Z-Boy, and we recently went through all the fabric we have on our fabric sample wall and pulled out all the discontinued ones (or ones that will be discontinued in the near future).  All we were really going to do with them was throw them out, so I grabbed up my favorite ones and took them home, knowing I could do SOMEthing with them.  Smiley

In all, I have probably about 40-50 swatches, and I'm looking for things to do with them!
I don't want to make a quilt out of them, first of all because I'm trying to get the MOST use out of them, and that would only make one item, and secondly, because they're upholstery fabric.  Some of them are nice and soft and thin, but others are super thick, and with the varying textures and thicknesses, I know a quilt would turn out being very awkward.

All of the swatches are around 1.5 foot by 1.5 foot, and I have ones varying anywhere from hot pink faux suede to neutral recliner-esque fabrics.  The ideas I had so far were to make a clutch purse out of them (there's enough fabric in one to make a small clutch), and my friend asked that I make her a hair bow from the hot pink faux suede (a clip-in one Wink).
Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!!  Cheesy

PLEASE NOTE:   The photograph is NOT a photograph I took of MY fabric swatches--it's just an example of what my swatches look like!

These were La-Z-Boy swatches I found someone selling on eBay, and this is almost exactly how my swatches are--they have a piece of cardboard attached to each swatch at the top (you can hardly see it in the picture), and they have stitching around the edges.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Master of all things spelling and grammar related.

.:RenDuH:.
fiddlegirl8
Sew, Sew Happy!!

Are you going to throw that away?! Can I have it?!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011 11:07:12 AM »

Cheesy  You scored big time!!!  My first thought when seeing this post was to make wallets or coin purses or tea wallets out of them.  You are a lucky duck to get these - I just paid $2.00 each for about six of the discontinued samples from JoAnn's!!  I wanted more, but could not afford them.  Be sure to post what creations you come up with - I would love to see what you create.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh, give me a home where the buffalo roam...  (Kansas State Song)
BeaG
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011 02:33:57 PM »

I have a lot of those too.
The fake suede and fake leather ones I love to use for wallets:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/made_by_beag/3182727846/in/set-72157608695652166
http://www.flickr.com/photos/made_by_beag/3007788116/in/set-72157608695652166
http://www.flickr.com/photos/made_by_beag/3693176363/in/set-72157608695652166
Some of the other ones I used in patchwork shopping bags:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/made_by_beag/3091682879/in/set-72157608695652166
http://www.flickr.com/photos/made_by_beag/3527330643/in/set-72157608695652166
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shannon1976
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011 02:43:09 PM »

How about some backpacks?http://dollarstorecrafts.com/2010/06/make-an-upholstery-sample-backpack/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ky-Lara
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011 07:52:55 PM »

Can DEF make throw pillows from some of them.  Just sew two together  to make reversable pillows or sew each one to a neutral background.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RenDuH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011 11:16:40 AM »

Cheesy  You scored big time!!!  My first thought when seeing this post was to make wallets or coin purses or tea wallets out of them.  You are a lucky duck to get these - I just paid $2.00 each for about six of the discontinued samples from JoAnn's!!  I wanted more, but could not afford them.  Be sure to post what creations you come up with - I would love to see what you create.

Oooo, sounds like I did! 
Don't worry--I'll be sure to post lots of pics of whatever I wind up making Cheesy
Might even sell some stuff I make on Etsy if it wind up being good enough, haha.

I like!  That's actually EXACTLY what I was thinking of making--good to know that it's possible! lol

How about some backpacks?http://dollarstorecrafts.com/2010/06/make-an-upholstery-sample-backpack/

Oooo, I really like that idea!  I might make a messenger bag or something though...I like the backpack idea, but I don't like how square that one turned out.  :/
I've made messenger bags before though, so that's always a possibility.  Cheesy

Can DEF make throw pillows from some of them.  Just sew two together  to make reversable pillows or sew each one to a neutral background.

Meh, I don't really have a need for throw pillows.  I live with my dad and gramma, so it's not like I'd be making them for my own house, and plus if I made throw pillows, I'd have to buy stuffing for them.  :/    I'm kinda looking for a more practical use for the fabric....thanks for the suggestion though! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JodiHendon
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011 05:45:41 PM »

I made chair arm covers with pockets for remotes, using the extra pieces that came with our Lazy-Boys, and you could probably do the same with these. 

Ours came with a straight piece, I guess for the top of the recliner back (?), and I sewed it onto an arm cover, creating pockets that way.  I use upholstery pins to hold the cover in place.

I've seen some beautiful patchwork pillows, where some of the patches had fabric that was folded and then overlapped together, creating a rainbow of colors and texture.

You could use it to cover mats for framing pictures, too, which would give a nice rich texture to the mat.

Chair covers, placemats, reversible purses......have fun!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
RenDuH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011 06:40:51 PM »

I made chair arm covers with pockets for remotes, using the extra pieces that came with our Lazy-Boys, and you could probably do the same with these. 

Ours came with a straight piece, I guess for the top of the recliner back (?), and I sewed it onto an arm cover, creating pockets that way.  I use upholstery pins to hold the cover in place.

I've seen some beautiful patchwork pillows, where some of the patches had fabric that was folded and then overlapped together, creating a rainbow of colors and texture.

You could use it to cover mats for framing pictures, too, which would give a nice rich texture to the mat.

Chair covers, placemats, reversible purses......have fun!

Oooo, those are all some awesome ideas--thanks!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeautifulBones
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011 03:26:04 PM »

This idea is a bit out there I admit, But why not make a pair of very patchwork pants? I had a friend in highschool who did that for a costume for a play. Maybe you could go as a scarecrow for Halloween! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RenDuH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011 07:43:15 PM »

This idea is a bit out there I admit, But why not make a pair of very patchwork pants? I had a friend in highschool who did that for a costume for a play. Maybe you could go as a scarecrow for Halloween! Cheesy

It's not THAT out there--I thought of it, too!  :3
The thing is though, I know for a fact I'd never wear them, and I'm trying to get the most use out of these swatches as I can (aka, I'd rather make a bunch of little things than just one big thing, and a pair of pants would take up a LOT of the swatches).  I appreciate the suggestion though!  ^____^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
R.L. Stine Reveals His New Adult Novel Red Rain
The Final Death of the Novel
Exposing Scientology
Margaret Atwood on Writing Dystopia
Bob Woodward on the USA’s Leadership
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...