A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,806
Currently Running With Scissors:
597 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Earth Light Stencil and Star Trail Photograph  (Read 3379 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hammer79
« on: May 05, 2011 07:50:05 AM »

I wanted to do a photography project.  I like to do light stencils and long exposure images.  So, I decided to submit a photograph.  But I DID do some crafting.

I often use tissue paper to make my stencils.  The earth is made out of fused plastic hobby lobby and hyvee bags.  I thought that would add to the earth day inspiration for this project by using some found materials.  I had some difficulty getting the earth to be accurate...  I sketched this view as compared to a photo that I found online.  North America maybe should've been a little smaller to allow for more of South America to be included.  That might have been more accurate.  I kinda doing a free form plastic fusion. 

I was really doubtful of the project as I was working on the stencil, but I think that it turned out.  I worked on this project on Earth Day itself, the skies were cloudy that night so I couldn't do the photo.  I had to wait until the night after.

I used an embroidery hoop (picked up at a second hand store) to hold the stencil and taped it to a light stand so that it would be at the same spot and not move.  I put colored gels (plastic film) in front of a flash light in order to add more definition to the stencil.  Blue light behind the water areas, green behind the land masses.

If you do a long exposure outside at night, the earth moves but the stars stay still.  It will depend on the computer, hopefully you can see the star trails in the sky.  I was pointed toward the north, so the stars make a large circular pattern.  I looked at this photo on an ipad, the sky was really dark.

The white dot above the earth was me turning a flashlight on and off.  I intended for it to be a moon, but I didn't hold my hand still enough.  So, the spot is wonky.

In the background is a red circle.  I originally planned to make the whole solar system and realized that would take a crazy long time.  So, I made one planet type form.   It too uses fused plastic, and I also put strips of tissue paper in the mix.

I made a light box to put that stencil on.  Its a rubbermaid type storage tote.  I spray painted the inside white to reflect light, outside is black to make it light tight.  I cut a hole on the outside so that I could stick the flash head in it.  I did attach this to a stand as well so I could figure out the specific spot for it to appear in the photo.  I added a red film to the flash to make sure it was colored like I thought I'd prefer.

There are all sorts of ideas for DIY photography projects at www.diyphotography. net  Its a good place for lots of people to share their spins on a tool or idea.

I usually wear black so that I don't show up in a photo.  However, some light reflected off of my face.  You can see me in the image in a couple spots.

This image is mostly right out of camera.  I tweaked the brightness and contrast a little bit.  We are in rural South Dakota, but still have some light pollution from near by towns.  I had to tweak the sky a little to make the stars show up.  I can see them on this computer, hopefully you can see them on yours.  I made the sky black and white to improve the contrast too.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2011 08:02:28 AM by hammer79 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
yzzilnoaj
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011 08:07:53 AM »

Very cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Frogglin

More Optimistic Than Skilled.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011 07:20:17 PM »

Oh you're a brainy one, fantastic idea and it looks awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wickedfae
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011 01:03:52 PM »

very nice. I like  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NormanLin
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012 06:15:27 PM »

You did a AWESOME job here. Keep it Up. Great job  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013 08:49:15 AM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Raspberries and Cream Popsicles
How to Make Cookies and Cream Popsicles
How to Make Mint Julep Poptails
How to Make Mango Yogurt Popsicles
How to Make Strawberry Margarita Poptails
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...