A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
492 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Earth Light Stencil and Star Trail Photograph  (Read 3389 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hammer79
« on: May 05, 2011 07:50:05 AM »

I wanted to do a photography project.  I like to do light stencils and long exposure images.  So, I decided to submit a photograph.  But I DID do some crafting.

I often use tissue paper to make my stencils.  The earth is made out of fused plastic hobby lobby and hyvee bags.  I thought that would add to the earth day inspiration for this project by using some found materials.  I had some difficulty getting the earth to be accurate...  I sketched this view as compared to a photo that I found online.  North America maybe should've been a little smaller to allow for more of South America to be included.  That might have been more accurate.  I kinda doing a free form plastic fusion. 

I was really doubtful of the project as I was working on the stencil, but I think that it turned out.  I worked on this project on Earth Day itself, the skies were cloudy that night so I couldn't do the photo.  I had to wait until the night after.

I used an embroidery hoop (picked up at a second hand store) to hold the stencil and taped it to a light stand so that it would be at the same spot and not move.  I put colored gels (plastic film) in front of a flash light in order to add more definition to the stencil.  Blue light behind the water areas, green behind the land masses.

If you do a long exposure outside at night, the earth moves but the stars stay still.  It will depend on the computer, hopefully you can see the star trails in the sky.  I was pointed toward the north, so the stars make a large circular pattern.  I looked at this photo on an ipad, the sky was really dark.

The white dot above the earth was me turning a flashlight on and off.  I intended for it to be a moon, but I didn't hold my hand still enough.  So, the spot is wonky.

In the background is a red circle.  I originally planned to make the whole solar system and realized that would take a crazy long time.  So, I made one planet type form.   It too uses fused plastic, and I also put strips of tissue paper in the mix.

I made a light box to put that stencil on.  Its a rubbermaid type storage tote.  I spray painted the inside white to reflect light, outside is black to make it light tight.  I cut a hole on the outside so that I could stick the flash head in it.  I did attach this to a stand as well so I could figure out the specific spot for it to appear in the photo.  I added a red film to the flash to make sure it was colored like I thought I'd prefer.

There are all sorts of ideas for DIY photography projects at www.diyphotography. net  Its a good place for lots of people to share their spins on a tool or idea.

I usually wear black so that I don't show up in a photo.  However, some light reflected off of my face.  You can see me in the image in a couple spots.

This image is mostly right out of camera.  I tweaked the brightness and contrast a little bit.  We are in rural South Dakota, but still have some light pollution from near by towns.  I had to tweak the sky a little to make the stars show up.  I can see them on this computer, hopefully you can see them on yours.  I made the sky black and white to improve the contrast too.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2011 08:02:28 AM by hammer79 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
yzzilnoaj
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011 08:07:53 AM »

Very cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Frogglin

More Optimistic Than Skilled.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011 07:20:17 PM »

Oh you're a brainy one, fantastic idea and it looks awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wickedfae
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011 01:03:52 PM »

very nice. I like  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NormanLin
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012 06:15:27 PM »

You did a AWESOME job here. Keep it Up. Great job  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013 08:49:15 AM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rouge New York: A Makeup Salon
Black and Gold Dual Eyeliner at Badgley Mischka NYFW 2014
Model Molly Sims LIVE
Get the J Crew Model Glow
The Cure for Tired Eyes
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...