A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,492
Currently Running With Scissors:
596 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday 5 May 2011  (Read 1882 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nittydread

Spin like the wind

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011 10:59:25 PM »

These are my two latest spins, besides the combo yarn I posted in it's own thread.

Wide Awake on Polwarth by nittydread, on Flickr

This one is a chainplied sportweight, 4 oz and approximately 175 yards. Colourway is SCF Fiber Club, Wide Awake on Polwarth.
It's sooo round, sproingy and sqooushy! I knit some socks in this yarn, as a gift for my BFF who dresses all in black. Methinks she needed to spice up her life. Cheesy

Sour Fat Eyes by nittydread, on Flickr

Another combo yarn! 3-ply fingering, 7.5 oz, I haven't counted yardage but it's a long one...Smiley Colourways are Hello Yarn - Sour Fig on Shetland, SCF - Faraway Eyes on Shetland and FatcatKnits Club February on Falkland. Of course I had to give the yarn a combo name...Sour Fat Eyes!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikschaf
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011 07:33:14 AM »

Aww, Jexx, you remembered I wanted to see the comparison photo!!  :-)  I really liked the skein with the yellow thread, but in comparison, I'm liking the skeins plied with just black even better.  Instead of re-doing the skein with yellow, could you use it as a border on whatever you make with the other?  Could make a cool contrast.  I wish sheep shed would've had that blue and white back when I ordered.  Maybe she will next time...

Jessy_Wa, I love the plum color of that merino!  And the dog yarn really does look like a dog. Would be funny to crochet a dog amigurumi from it!

Nitty -- I love Sour Fat Eyes!  I also love Wide Awake, but I already commented on that one in the Finished Objects thread.  :-)  Sometimes folks post their finished objects in Fiber Friday as well as in the Finished Objects thread.  I love the Finished Objects thread, but I think projects get kinda lost in there once in a while.  you should post your socks here too, they're awesome!

I've got nothing to share again this week.  I've been in crochet mode instead of spinning mode.  But I'm going to Shepherd's Harvest festival this Sunday, and will hopefully have lots of lovely new fiber to inspire me to sit at my wheel.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011 07:38:18 AM by nikschaf » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jessy_Wa
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011 09:13:59 AM »

Nittydread -- Yes, I've spun from a drop spindle a few times  Wink I don't think I can decide between the two. lol. I really like Sour Fat Eyes!
nikschaf -- lol thanks! Just need to spin up some more first Tongue

THIS ROCKS   Logged
The Angry Hippie
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011 09:41:03 AM »

LOL i could get behind fiber thrusday.   Your sparkly singles are really pretty and the sheep shed striping looks wonderfully consistent. I think i like the last one plied with black better, that yellow thread isn't very becoming.  You could do a swatch to see how it works up.

jessy_wa, That purple is just gorgeous and the shetland is so rustic and manly, love it.

nittydread, i think i want to marry you and have your babies. 

I've been mia the past couple weeks, spring cleaning is upon us.

468 yds-merino

androgynous by Millions Of Tiny Fibers., on Flickr

depth by Millions Of Tiny Fibers., on Flickr

smog-merino-tencel

stripes by Millions Of Tiny Fibers., on Flickr

deep throat

HandSpun Merino Tencel by Millions Of Tiny Fibers., on Flickr

bfl-supercoils!

What to do, what to do by Millions Of Tiny Fibers., on Flickr
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011 10:53:22 AM »

Hey thanks for the opinions and compliments. Maybe I will work up a swatch, but I think in the end I will just cut out the yellow. I am thinking of getting a booth for $20 at the "farmer's market" this summer and trying to sell my yarns, but I don't know if the stuff I've made from Feb's Diamond batt will be up for grabs. I can see somehting wintery crocheted with it. Maybe next winter it will become what it's always wanted to be, whatever that is. Hopefully it will speak to me.

Hippie, I like your batts. I don't know if I will ever get into blending, dyeing so much. It's too much like scrap booking for me.

Nittydread, Wide Awake is superbly spun and named! And Sour Cat Eyes is very earthy even with the sudden spots of bright peaking through. Love it!

Jessy-Wa, not bad for first attempts at all. Addicted, aren't you? Your plying looks very even. I really like the dog stuff. I've been interested in dog but I only have a Pitt so I would have to contact a groomer and I'm not ready for that yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Ratfinkz
Rataholic

Animal Mad!

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011 11:05:42 AM »

OK having looked at all your yarns - I'm scared to be posting in this thread - but I got my first spindle in a swap a couple of weeks ago - and this is the first thing i've spun with it - 100g purple Merino plyed with shop bought black wool - I've called it Gothisma!

You can see which ball I did first and which was second lol!!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love Sarah
XXX

Jack of most crafts master of none.

My craft blog. If you are swapping with me be warned this may contain spoilers
http://ratfinkzcrafts.blogspot.co.uk/
nittydread

Spin like the wind

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011 11:21:52 AM »

Feline: Nooo, don't be scared! Post away! I'd love to see how your spinning develops. Cheesy I should post a pic of my first yarn, it ain't pretty...

AngryHippie: LOVE the androgynous, even though merino is my least favourite fiber. Mad photo skills, too.
Also, thank you for the marriage proposal, I'll be sure to keep you foremost in my mind if my current relationship crashes. I've already had one baby, it WOULD be nice if someone else could do the birthing next time around. Grin

nikschaf: Thanks alot! I wasn't sure if it was OK to post knitted FO:s here as well, that's why I didn't. Smiley Thanks for pointing it out!
I hope you'll get ahold of some nice fiber during the festival!

JessyWa: Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikschaf
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2011 01:19:37 PM »

Welcome, Feline!!  That looks great!  Love that rich blue color!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ratfinkz
Rataholic

Animal Mad!

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2011 01:43:15 PM »

lol my camera is out - it's actually a cadbury's purple colour!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love Sarah
XXX

Jack of most crafts master of none.

My craft blog. If you are swapping with me be warned this may contain spoilers
http://ratfinkzcrafts.blogspot.co.uk/
BeaG
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2011 02:27:33 PM »

I do a lot of creative things, but I don't spin.
Yet I had to jump into this thread and let all of you amazing fiber artists know how much I always enjoy the gorgeous pictures of all those beautiful homespun yarns!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Moses Expedition Book Trailer
Stupid About Men Book Trailer
Shonen Jump Panel with Stan Lee and Hiroyuki Takei
Marsha Bemko Talks About Antiques Roadshow
Meet Author Kamal Saleem
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...