A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,544
Currently Running With Scissors:
690 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chalk Board Fridge  (Read 1737 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lovelyMTNlife
Lovely Mountain Life

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2011 04:44:41 PM »

Boring cream colored fridge turns into amazing chalk board for instant creative release!

I used the standard chalkboard paint you can buy at the hardware store. So easy!

My fridge had those ugly handles that went down along the left front, so they had to be removed to get a clean coat of paint.  I snapped the longer handle in half removing it (whoops) - so those aren't going back on. I ended up putting generic cabinet pulls on the side after.

The fridge also has that rough "bumpy" texture, not ideal for a chalkboard, but it works just fine for me.

But be sure to clean, sand and prime before putting the chalkboard paint on, I did more coats than recommended, but that was just because I had the extra paint. Enjoy, happy chalk boarding!

For more details about the transformation, visit my blog post about the chalk board fridge:
http://lovelymtnlife.blogspot.com/2011/04/chalkboard-fridge.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a lover of vintage finds, the thrill of a thrift store hunt, frugal decorating and creative crafts. My quiet home in the mountains provides the perfect setting for uninterrupted inspiration!

Visit my blog for crafty things of various sorts: http://lovelymtnlife.blogspot.com/
lovelyxmalia
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011 06:58:52 PM »

What an awesome idea!  Its definitely a fun way to "get the message across" to everyone in the house!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

She sees shooting stars...
              & comet's tail
She's got heaven in her eyes.
cute_anarchy
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011 08:10:12 PM »

Brilliant!  I love the idea, and so functional! A great way to clean up a slightly dinged up fridge that still works (hmm, I have the old freezer at my parents house in mind).  It looks really cool too, very unexpected. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a medium aged procrastinator, with a room full of craft supplies! 

I've got a wist and a pinterest: http://www.wists.com/cute_anarchy 
arachnes thumb
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011 06:15:30 AM »

that's pretty freaking sweet.  I never knew that there was chalkboard paint that a person could use to achieve that effect....must stop self from painting house in chalk board paint...

Thanks for sharing!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011 11:16:16 AM »

Ah ha!  I was thinking about doing this with our basement fridge after seeing it at the local meat and fish monger.  ONce you start chalkboard painting, it's hard to stop.  My old place had it inside the medicine chest, on the toilet lid, on the kitchen and garage walls... and I have to make myself stop.  Great fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011 04:24:02 AM »

Such a clever idea!
Ah ha!  I was thinking about doing this with our basement fridge after seeing it at the local meat and fish monger.  ONce you start chalkboard painting, it's hard to stop.  My old place had it inside the medicine chest, on the toilet lid, on the kitchen and garage walls... and I have to make myself stop.  Great fun!
This brings all sorts of ideas for notes...put seat down, please be neat and wipe the seat, remember to flush...Leave it to T to make this even more fun! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011 03:34:17 PM »

Such a clever idea!
This brings all sorts of ideas for notes...put seat down, please be neat and wipe the seat, remember to flush...Leave it to T to make this even more fun! Wink

The chalkboard was in the center on the outside, the rest of the lid was painted metallic leopard print... so potty time was party time at my house!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hollie Hobbie

Where the heck is MY easy bake oven!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011 04:52:50 PM »

I would LOVE to do this in my house Smiley I can just imagine the kinds of stuff that would be written on it Shocked
Very nice idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Japanese Art Form of Lacquer
The Tattooing Process
All You Need to Know Before Getting a Tattoo
How to Make a Portfolio
How to Reconstruct Your Jeans
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...