A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,744
Currently Running With Scissors:
425 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Star Trek Themed Birthday Party - Need help  (Read 5443 times)
Tags for this thread: party_planning , star_trek  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sphynxz8
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2011 04:39:34 PM »

TheMistressT, it's pretty funny that the first person I thought of as a photographer friend, was my boyfriend. Then I realized that that just wouldn't work. I will definitely try to use that technique instead of wasting money buying a few vinyl, waterproof ones.

Ruby Copperhead, are you serious? How did they turn out? That gives me some hope...hehe! I was considering using sweatshirts; however, my boyfriend has a tendency to get overheated really easily...when I'm still shivering. I'm hoping to be able to make them a lighter fabric...like cotton. I did find the official patterns online! Did you know that the communication badges were actually velcroed? I didn't. Do you think cotton would work? --- they are supposed to be wool; but, I just can't make him suffer like that. I'll probably include the shoulder pads...He's already eye candy for me... Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2011 04:26:03 AM »

Wool, really? Wow, I had no idea. Wool really looks classy, that's for sure, but it will also catapult you in budget heights... I always used simple cotton sweatshirts, or cotton fabric, and once, some shiny fabric that was poly-something. I liked the cotton ones, because they do look a lot more real than the acrylic store bought versions, and they're durable, and washable. (Huge plus, whatever you'll make will look a lot better than the store bought ones.) They are warm though, too, being longsleeve and in case of DS9, coming with a long undershirt, and considering that they're mostly worn in warm places. Hehe, one more reason to make them washable Grin
velcro sounds like a good solution for the communicators to me. I had the pinned versions. Not bad either, but can damage the fabric.

Oh, and the Federation flag makes for great decoration!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011 04:27:09 AM by Ruby Copperhead » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sphynxz8
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2011 10:58:52 AM »

Ruby Copperhead, I know! Wool would suck...They must've kept the sets nice and cool. I sure hope they turn out better than the store bought ones...hehe. Now all I need to do is find the right wine-colored cotton, along with the blue. The black shouldn't be difficult...oh yeah...and learn how to sew...haha! I was thinking the pin ones might tear the fabric too.

Wow! I didn't even think about that! I'll have to find a way to either make one or find one already made. Maybe etsy will have one?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
silentblair
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Intellect and Romance over Brute Force and Cynicism

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2011 02:30:00 PM »

I would so check out thrift stores for premade mock turtlenecks that maybe you could applique on and not have to start from scratch? Otherwise, I am sure the thrift store would have some sexy low cut shirts...I know ours always has them in stock.

Make sure you budget your time throughout the year leading up to his birthday. That's what I do for Christmas gifts. I set a month marker that I should have a certain gift done by. I would hate for you to be rushed at the end and pulling all nighters.
(If you're like me you will do that anyway, there's always some last minute thing that will make the day perfect).

Lt. Cmdr. Data: If the warp drive fails to activate, the results could be... unfortunate.
Lieutenant Worf: Very unfortunate. We will be dead.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dancedupapillon
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2011 08:53:17 PM »

I've made Star Trek uniforms for Halloween before! I did them without patterns, which I do not suggest (it's a fight to get in and out of my Nurse Chapel dress...) They were in technicolour velour and awesome, but a pain in the rear to sew. In retrospect, it would have been way easier to start with a t-shirt and alter it with paint, patches, rick rack and dyes. I found a website that might help
http://diyfashion.about.com/od/costumes/qt/Star_Trek_Uniform.htm

If you really want to sew them, you can use an old t-shirt as a  pattern for his tunic (just add black bias tape around the neck), but you should buy a pattern for the dress.  It'll be way simpler, especially if you're still developing your sewing skills.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
Sphynxz
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2011 09:53:10 AM »

So! I decided that instead of making a comm badge shaped cake, I'm going to make a torso cake just like from Fantasms...only...m ore realistic.

I'm going to use MMF for the shirt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sphynxz8
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2011 10:04:27 AM »

Haha! I'm special. After I posted that, I realized that I posted from the account I forgot I made. I'm going to be using Sphynxz from now on; because, I like it more than adding an 8 at the end. Still working out a ton of details for the party...but, I'm really excited about it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PrincessJasmine
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2011 02:36:04 PM »

Good luck with the party, what a fun theme!  I just wanted to throw this out there... if you need ideas for party favors, I made a star trek bracelet from shrinky dinks

I got the idea here on craftster, so maybe if you search on that, you can find them, but basically I found a font of Star Trek characters. I blew them up really large and printed them out on paper, and then traced over them using sharpies onto the srhinky dink film. Then I cut them out and shrunk them into these charms. Cute, huh?  I gave it to my step-mom for her birthday, she loved it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sphynxz
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2011 07:50:52 AM »

Wow! That is so cute! I might use that for some party favors....OOooo! Or....I might use individual ones for wine charms for the wine glasses...Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Own Borders in Gimp
How to Assign a Sound File in Windows XP
How to Create Mutated Pictures in Gimp
How to Make Flaming Text in Gimp
How to Change the Film Speed in Windows Movie Maker
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...