A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,599
Currently Running With Scissors:
674 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Alcoholic Monsters: Absinthe and Midori  (Read 727 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Eapa
« on: May 03, 2011 11:42:56 PM »

I've already put up a couple of posts of some of the monsters I've made. (Here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=364213.msg4276220#msg4276220 and here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354778.msg4148786#msg4148786)  Getting around time that I want to share a couple more with all of you, get some more feedback (not quite ready for bed yet  Wink ).

Almost all my monsters start as pinchpots; in fact, most of those pinchpots are really just me playing with the clay, trying to come up with an idea, and then getting surprised by what comes out.  Such is the case with Absinthe:

She was fired in September of '09, and probably glazed by the middle of October, in time for my ceramic studio's open house of the season.  All the coloring is done with a variety of underglazes, and finished off with a barely-there high fire clear.  (Our kiln goes to a Cone 5 High Fire.)

She's a little neurotic (and makes me a little neurotic, with those long, fragile-looking legs!) but I have to admit that she's probably my favorite monster yet.  (Just don't tell my other babies.)

Next up is Midori.  He's cute, but sometimes I feel like there should be something more to him. 

However, I think he's kind of just like a midori sour: sweet enough that just about everyone can stomach him, even the most squeamish.

Midori's dated July '09.  High summer in San Francisco ... which means cold, fog, and gloom.  (Maybe a little exaggeration there, but not by much.)  I think I was trying to call upon the heat of the savannah with my little lion booze-monster.

By the by, photos are all done by my fabulous friend Angela, when she was visiting me from Nashville.

Comments, compliments, criticism are all welcome.  I love making my monsters, but I'm starting to fear that they'll start taking over my apartment soon -- I've only shown you guys 7, I think, and that's maybe only half ... of the ones that are complete.  If I could ever bear to part with my babies, I might start trying to recreate them or just straight up sell them on Etsy, and would be curious to know if there would be any interest in that.  (In other words: am I good enough to make some spare cash off this hobby?)

Also, I need a name for the alcohol monster series.  In addition to Absinthe, Midori, Bourbon, Scotch and Jager, I've also got Tequila Shot, Kahlua, (Pinot) Grigio, Grapa, Vermouth and Gin (the Martini brothers), Ouzo, and Hennessey.  Name suggestions are totally welcome. 

Thank you for looking!  And reading my long-windedness.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Snake boobs get in the way of slithering.

I blog about my life adventures, and sometimes even the things I make: http://snakeboobs.blogspot.com/
zombiecazz
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011 05:22:43 PM »

Love your monsters and love their names.
The bright colours are fab and their expressions are just stellar.
I have no idea about what sells in pottery, but I do think these are very cool.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011 01:12:27 PM by zombiecazz » THIS ROCKS   Logged

squire_inaria
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011 11:33:22 AM »

They're adorable! I play with clay as well and I think these guys would totally sell.

As for names, how about Hypnotic, the Four Horsemen (Jim, Jack, Johnny and Jose), Chardonnay or Patron?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I swap, you swap, we all swap! I love personal swaps (and I make poppets!) Smiley

Wist-y goodness

Check out my new shop; Ivy Moon Emporium[url]!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Making An Easy Breakfast Sandwich With Chef Tiffany Derry
Simple Baked Beans Recipe
BBQ Potato Chips Recipe
Lighter Three-Cheese Mac
Chocolate Stout Cake Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...