So, for this challenge I decided I'd try and spend the minimum amount of money, and with the exception of a rotary cutter and some extra blue fabric, everything came out of my fabric stash. And here she be, the Patchwork Planet. 1 inch squares, lots of (I don't know, I was going to work it out but I took a nap instead). She's 3 kilos in weight and about a 130cm around.
I'd already decided to do patchwork, but when I found a 12 gore flattened earth map online, I decided to be stupidly bold and make a 3d round earth. Because I have insane!
The following pics are thumbnailed to keep this post shortish and not desperately slow to load. If you're gasping to see them they are all linked to my flickr stream.
SO! Step one, trace the planet.
Using the highly technological method of "Taping stuff to a window". I also used some antique graph paper which my dad pinched from his workplace in about 1984.
Now, break out the felt tips.
This is the pattern making step, really. Colouring in all the earth bits green, the ice bits blue and leaving the water white. It's also when I broke down the coastlines into grid form, I used full squares and half squares for shaping.
Now play with sharp things.
I've gotten along for many years without a rotary cutter, but since this is my first major patchworking thing, I splashed out. Also in shot: Coffee. Requirements...
Now thread your bobbin...
incredible planning, complicated calculations and exact sizing
a complete fluke of luck, the gores ended up being marked at exactly 4 squares wide. Awesome! I just numbered them along the top and rolled a dice to see which to do next (the dice was to make it more random if I needed to add more fabric in, so that it wouldn't all pool in one spot on the planet).
Now we hope for the best...
To get the gore pattern for cutting out, I enlarged the original pattern on the photocopier until the grid squares on the paper matched the size of the fabric squares. Then I cut them all out. Yes with my fingers crossed.
Now we built a planet! (Just like Slartibartfast)
Pretty self explanatory really, just sewed all the gores together in the right order, then turned and stuffed with an entire three kilos of stuffing.
Yup, she's a weighty planet alright.
Edit: A more detailed tutorial is on my blog