A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,527
Currently Running With Scissors:
318 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Geronimo!!! Eleventh Doctor/Matt Smith Figurine  (Read 1310 times)
Tags for this thread: doctor_seuss , dr_who , tv_show , 11th_doctor  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

yoyowa

It's a fez. I wear a fez now. Fezes are cool.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 03, 2011 04:04:53 PM »

So, series 6 of Doctor Who is awesome. I think I figured out who River Song is but I won't bore you with my personal opinions.

Anyways, I've been crafting Doctor Stuff lately and I've made a dalek previously, figured I should make a doctor. I'm not an artsy person, I can't draw and I consider sculpting more artsy then crafty so i'm proud of myself. It took me a few days and towards the end I was getting sick so I hurried it up and didn't get to finish it how I had hoped (his hands are awful, I had wanted to have him holding his sonic screw driver but didn't get to). He's also shiny...I only have glossy finish so that's why and I dropped him while taking photos and his neck cracked (super glued it though, you can hardly tell now)....

The finished product:

I started with a wire and aluminium foil base. The base screwed me up which is why he's looking off to ths side rather then to the front:

I used spare clay to smooth it out:

Him next to my previously made dalek (obviously, they're not to scale) :

And for reference, here's the elventh doctor (on a windy day apparently):

« Last Edit: May 03, 2011 04:06:26 PM by yoyowa » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a fat, crafty chick. LOUD AND PROUD!

Check out my bi-weekly podcast where two twenty something heterosexual women (who act like fifty something gay men) discuss geek culture, pop culture and all things Disney, Doctor Who and theater.
http://theeclecticeccentrics.blogspot.com/
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011 10:04:42 AM »

Very nice job!  I also "can't draw," etc, but find I can do various kinds of drawings and sculpts just by experimenting, practicing, and sometimes just finding basic info online.

If you want to add something now though, like that screwdriver, you can still do it.  You'd just need to perhaps drill a hole into his closed hand and put a (prebaked) screwdriver into it.  Or you could form the screwdriver on his hand as (just the part that would be sticking out of the hand), then carefully remove (cooling the clay first if necessary), bake the tool, then glue it back in place on the hand.
Or you could just cut off one of the hands at the wrist, make a new hand with the screwdriver in it, then attach back.  You'd probably want to put an armature like a bit of toothpick or wire between the two pieces (just drill out a hole in the forearm to insert one end of it), and perhaps hide any join you might see...or just dig out a little of the forearm inside the sleeve so you can insert the new hand kind of inside it (perhaps with a hand rasp or drill bit, or using a Dremel with various bits, just digging, etc).
And if you want some lessons and tips on making hands, you might be interested in this page at my site:
http://glassattic.com/polymer/sculpting_body_and_tools.htm (click on Hands)

As for the glossy look, if you want to take down some of the glossiness, you can or rub the clear finish with fine pumice stone or lightly with 0000 steel wool then buff a bit, or you can apply a semi-gloss or even matte clear finish right over the old one--test the look of that one first, may vary by brands/etc.

** dampen a soft cloth like maybe old terry cloth, pick up some pumice stone powder on the cloth and rub gently in a circular motion...let it dry, brush off the powder, then just a quick wipe with a damp cloth

Diane B.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011 10:09:38 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
yoyowa

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011 04:06:51 PM »

Thank you Diane! I have been to your site numerous times in the past but not recently, I'll have to take a look around again. I go through spells with polymer clay, working with it often or not at all.
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my bi-weekly podcast where two twenty something heterosexual women (who act like fifty something gay men) discuss geek culture, pop culture and all things Disney, Doctor Who and theater.
sweetgeek
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011 12:50:34 PM »

awesome! I just recently got into the 11th doctor, I'm a little behind. But you captured him so well, and the dalek is great! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yoyowa

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011 01:33:16 PM »

awesome! I just recently got into the 11th doctor, I'm a little behind. But you captured him so well, and the dalek is great! Smiley

Thank you! You need to catch up! This season is the best. I love moffat
THIS ROCKS   Logged

steveshapiro

There's no substitute for true style!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011 04:22:07 PM »

Couldn't believe it when somebody told me that Dr. Who is still running several years ago; I had watched it back in the 80s!! Anyways, glad to hear it's still running strong and glad to see folks like yourself doing it justice in craft form!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nothing broadcasts competence and success quite like designer modern decor.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Make Chicken Fingers
How to Make Bacon - Part 3
How to Make Chocolate Epiphany with Chef Francois Payard
How to Make Potatoes Au Gratin
How To Make Turkey Stuffing
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...