A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,610
Currently Running With Scissors:
604 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dying light blue jeans - what colour?  (Read 853 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mod35tBabe
« on: May 02, 2011 10:14:58 PM »

Has anyone here had experience with dying light blue jeans? I have an old pair that don't look too flash anymore and I was debating about giving dying a go. I would've liked black but I suspect some of the jeans will go black but a lot of them will probably go grey.
I can post a pic of them if that helps for reference.

Thanks in advance Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you say 'plz' because it's shorter than 'please',I'll say 'no' because it's shorter than 'yes'.
41 SWAPS COMPLETE
2 IN PROCESS

~*~*Come and visit our new collaborative craft blog Hand Made-n's!!*~*~
lady.lin
Costume Queen

Break the rules, not your tools.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011 12:42:00 PM »

I'd suggest the darkest indigo you can find, or a really rich purple. (But then, I own way too much purple clothing.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

klnelson11
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011 02:40:32 PM »

as long as the dye you use is a good quality, you should get good results.  Go the dharma trading company, they have lots of info and good prices.  you can buy jacquard dyes at your local michaels or joanns.  check that it is specific for the fabric content of your jeans.  If you set the dye correctly, you will get black, with little to no rub-off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mod35tBabe
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011 08:45:26 PM »

as long as the dye you use is a good quality, you should get good results.  Go the dharma trading company, they have lots of info and good prices.  you can buy jacquard dyes at your local michaels or joanns.  check that it is specific for the fabric content of your jeans.  If you set the dye correctly, you will get black, with little to no rub-off.

I live in Australia but Ill see if thats stocked here. Any tips for setting the dye correctly?

I hadn't thought of indigo or purple but I'll keep an eye out for those too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you say 'plz' because it's shorter than 'please',I'll say 'no' because it's shorter than 'yes'.
41 SWAPS COMPLETE
2 IN PROCESS

N30Nb100d
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011 09:56:50 AM »

The way to set the dye correctly changes based on the exact type of dye you buy and the fiber content of your fabric. Follow all the directions with your dye and you should be fine. Along with dharma trading, here's another great resource for dying help that goes over all the dye types and a lot of techniques: http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/aboutdyes.shtml
The jacquard dye klnelson11 mentions is probably procion MX fiber reactive dye. If your jeans are 100% cotton, this is a really good dye (I use it for tie dying), but black might still not be black - black dye is usually based on another color like green, blue, or red and is really a very dark version of that color so you might get a hint of it. I vote for purple too if that's a color you'd wear. You can use this dye in the washing machine, or by hand in a bucket (directions are on the jar iirc for "immersion dying," or check dharma trading) but then you have a lot of stirring to do.
There's also a dylon permanent black dye (and other colors), called dylon machine dye in some places, which looks to be easier to find in australia. Avoid dye that says "all purpose" - they don't work as well and fade more over time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mod35tBabe
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011 07:45:31 PM »

Thanks guys, for all your help. I'll try and dye them sometime in the next week or two and let you know how it goes. I've heard of Dylon and know where to get that so I'll look for that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

41 SWAPS COMPLETE
2 IN PROCESS

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
This Bra Only Unhooks Itself For True Love
How to Rock a Turtleneck in a Chic and Modern Way
10 Ways to Instantly Look Slimmer
Will Jared Leto Top His Man Bun at the Grammys?
DIY: No Sew Halter Top with Michael Costello
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...