A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,697
Currently Running With Scissors:
479 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My husband cheated on me so I moved to Greece . . .(room redo)  (Read 14588 times)
Tags for this thread: bedroom , craftster_best_of_2011  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

javarose
« on: May 02, 2011 06:31:15 PM »

So, OK, I didn't really move to Greece.  But Le Bastard really did cheat on me, and psychologically abuse me, and neglect my children, for several years.  Last summer, I left--and we're safe, and free!  I'm free!  And so, I decided to do my new room in the happiest, most exuberant style possible--the Greek Isles.  I've never been there, so my only exposure--admittedly a fairly silly one--is thru the movie Mamma Mia!  The whole room came together with odds and ends and some new paint for around $270.

Below is a view of the bed.  I bought the full-size spread for a song at a thrift store before the divorce, intending to sell it.  Funny how things work out. Wink The end tables are thrifted and painted, and the headboard is my parents' old front door.  I literally decided on paint colors by freeze framing Mamma Mia during scenes in Donna and Sophie's bedrooms.  Amazingly, the "footboard" is a storage bench that I found at Salvation Army in a matching shade of turquoise.  

These three pillows I stitched together from fabric stash and some old doilies my great-grandmother made/embroidered.  (The blue peacock pillows are actually shams.) They're very suzani-esque, no?

Harder to see, this is the wall opposite the bed.  The dresser was a hand-me-down, as was the lamp.  I had the bird hooks, face vase, and the rest.  The green chair in the corner?  I found it on the curb!

A better view:

My mother made a shade out of scrap fabric:

Now this one I'm proud of.  I built this desk--it's really tiny but that's what I needed.  The left side is an old nightstand that belonged to my grandmother.  I purchased about $35 worth of lumber and hardware, then painted it to match the other parts of the room--same thing with the chair, the seat of which I covered with an old shirt.

There was a big blank spot by the bookshelves, and I had this fabulous mirror, so naturally . . .

I needed a pendant lamp in the corner (it's weirdly a dark room for having so big a window), and transformed this cheap Ikea paper lamp with doily stencils and blue spray paint:

The window holds various items including some succulents.  Everything else was previously thrifted.

And finally, the bathroom, which ties in with the bedroom but has a slightly tropical feel.  i always feel like I'm swimming in a margarita in there--perfect.

View from the bathroom into the bedroom.  You can't really see it, but there's a pedestal sink and no cabinets. That thing hanging above the sink is what I improvised to get some "counter space' for makeup and such; it's two dollar-spot metal office trays wired together.

The room is still a work in progress, so updates will follow.  And yes--every morning, I wake up happy. Smiley

« Last Edit: May 04, 2011 06:54:21 AM by PixieVal » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't care, I'm still free; you can't take the sky from me.

http://abarreloflemons.blogspot.com/

http://lookwhatshefound.blogspot.com/
Crannberry
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011 06:54:29 PM »

Wooooo!! For you!  And I love it.  Using a door!  So creative!  Totally inspiring in multiple ways.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"What was the edge of the world like?"
"There was nothing there. But it was bright and the sky was pretty"

http://crannbeans.blogspot.com
eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011 06:55:11 PM »

Excellent! The place looks beautiful and it's fantastic to hear that it makes you so happy. I adore that desk  Shocked

To hell with Le Bastard! You deserve a wonderful Greek retreat to relax and contemplate all the great things still to come.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley
Website - Gallery - Blog - Tutorials - Store

Our collaborative craft blog!
Hand Made-n's
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011 06:55:52 PM »

I am in awe! I adore Mama Mia & have also drawn inspiration from the gorgeous colors of blue! The whole movie makes me happy & your interior design makes me happy too! Love the bathroom also! It's an energetic color!

Great work!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
wademinor
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011 07:09:38 PM »

The dresser is so cool and I am envious of the headboard! I want, I want, I want!!!!

Absolutely beautiful; congratulations to you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tynwia
Reduce, reuse, recycle it into something useful.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011 07:12:19 PM »

A girl after my own heart  Wink I love that everything was thrift-ed or done on the cheap!!!! It is so lovely I am using this as inspiration for my own bedroom which is right now a blank slate Smiley

Keep it up, I'll look forward to more of your posts Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/tynwia
I have a button addiction.......
Up for personal swaps Smiley
CraftyMcCrafterson

art should not exist for the sake of itself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011 07:31:39 PM »

Congratulations *hugs* Freedom <3

A beautiful bedroom! A celebration of life where you can learn to breathe again Smiley Gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://dianneofalltrades.blogspot.com/

Looking for dead pointe shoes.
kitschbitch
Stitchin'

Music, crafts, and dogs...all good.

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011 07:51:05 PM »

What a beautiful, cheery room.  Keep taking care of yourself, you deserve it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rorriM_esoR

Santorini, Greece, Summer 2008

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011 07:57:41 PM »

As someone who has been to Greece, you definitely captured the feel of the Greek Isles, which are very different from the mainland.  Your bedroom is absolutely gorgeous.  And the turquoise is right on, blue is so prominent there.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

On Pottermore?  Add me, Pumpkinsparks110.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.  -Ghandi
graceless lady
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011 08:11:51 PM »

Just beautiful! Definitely feels like Greece.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rock Out With Cotton Candy-Colored Hair This Summer
Hairapy Ep 105: Jennifer
How to Get a Red Carpet Ready Hairdo
Hair How to: Top Knot Hairstyle
Simple Blow-Dry Steps for Voluminous Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...