A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 299,135
Currently Running With Scissors:
665 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Egg replacer: Flaxseed vs. Chia seed  (Read 773 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hardyjenni
« on: May 02, 2011 04:05:27 PM »

My little niece has very bad food allergies.  She's allergic to egg, wheat, milk, nuts, beef, and pork.  And she's not even 5!  Poor little thing!  My sister does a great job buying and cooking allergen-free foods, but I want to help.  So I've been researching food allergies for quite some time.  I've decided to run a bunch of food experiments, eliminating only one of the allergens at a time, so there can be a control.  My first experiment involves my search for a perfect egg replacer--which has turned into a difficult search.

Personally, I do not think there is a single perfect egg substitute.  I think different substitutes work in different types of food.  For example, a mixture of tapioca starch, potato starch, xanthan gum, baking powder, and oil works best in light and delicate foods, like vanilla cake.  Ground flaxseeds do not work in light foods since they impart too much of a nutty flavor to vanilla-flavored items.  Ground flaxseeds work better in things like pancakes, whole grain items, and brownies.  Blended silken tofu works well in really dense, rich items.

To test out egg substitutes, I have used very basic recipes.  The first test I did was on egg replacers made out of ground seeds—specifically flaxseed and chia seeds.  I used my favorite, go-to pancake recipe.  The only modification I made was substituting ground seeds and water for the eggs.  I ground 1 TBSP of seeds in the blender.  After the seeds were thoroughly ground, I added 1/4 cup water to the blender and pulsed to combine.  I let this mixture sit for 5 minutes before blending for 30 seconds at a medium blender setting.   This mixture substituted easily for one whole egg.

Overall, the pancakes were comparable to regular pancakes.  Each seed-based egg replacer worked well, and they both had their pros and cons. 

My husband and I both liked the chia seed pancakes better, though the flaxseed pancakes were acceptable.  The chia seed pancakes were fluffier and more porous than the flaxseed pancakes.  While hot, they did not have that raw, nutty flavor that the flaxseed pancakes had, so I liked them better than the flaxseed pancakes.  After they cooled, though, the chia seed pancakes tasted a little bitter.   They were definitely better served fresh and hot.  But they were more expensive than the flaxseed pancakes since chia seeds are not readily available at all grocery stores.  I bought mine in the vitamin and supplement section of the Whole Foods in Brentwood.

If you want more information about the flaxseed pancakes and stuff, feel free to see them on my website. http://www.examiner.com/budget-meals-in-st-louis/egg-replacers-using-flaxseeds-and-chia-seeds-to-replace-eggs-pancakes

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I try to be crafty in the kitchen! Visit my budget cooking page!

http://tinyurl.com/STLmeals
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011 03:10:19 AM »

thanks so much for this, I'll pass it on to my friend. her 6 year old has all the same allergies Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hardyjenni
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011 06:54:41 AM »

Poor thing!  It seems so many children are developing food allergies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I try to be crafty in the kitchen! Visit my budget cooking page!

http://tinyurl.com/STLmeals
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top 100 Pokemon: Dragonite
Top 100 Pokemon: Lugia
Top 100 Pokemon: Mew
Top 100 Pokemon: Mewtwo
Top 100 Pokemon: Rayquaza
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...