A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,552
Currently Running With Scissors:
817 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I want to make a Jewelry studio in my house  (Read 969 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

80years at heart

My mom took my scissors away :(

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2011 12:55:53 PM »

So I have become a Navy house wife, and its pretty boring. I took some metal and jewelry classes in high school and now that i have the time i would really like to build a shop in my garage. I would probably have to use a hand held blow torch because I live on base.

My question is does any one know exactly what I will need and a good website to buy from. Its been a 5 years since my last class with Mr. Shuty lol.

Thanks so much Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
80years at heart

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011 12:56:40 PM »

Also if any one has any tips for Rock polishing?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Janiceihg
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011 01:43:26 PM »

So I have become a Navy house wife, and its pretty boring. I took some metal and jewelry classes in high school and now that i have the time i would really like to build a shop in my garage. I would probably have to use a hand held blow torch because I live on base.

My question is does any one know exactly what I will need and a good website to buy from. Its been a 5 years since my last class with Mr. Shuty lol.

Thanks so much Smiley

The answer to your question I think depends on asking some more questions.

Like exactly what type of work will you be doing - cold connections and making headpins? soldering? forging? Stone setting?

I began with wirework so had pliers and hammers and files and a small benchblock/anvil. Then I began adding in some metalwork, all cold - stamping and joining with rivets and jumprings etc - for that I added some larger files and different sandpapers. Then I took the plunge and began soldering (in 2006). I began small - and slowly added tools and equipment.

For ordering online I like Contenti and Rio Grande and Monsterslayer and Otto Frei (I don't know if I'm allowed to add links, sorry. all should come up in a google search)

I am more than happy to help you figure out what you might need. :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Janiceihg
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011 01:45:44 PM »

Also if any one has any tips for Rock polishing?

rock polishing....do you mean like actual rocks or do you mean cabs?

for rocks you can run them in a tumbler with an abrasive media and they will shine up.

For cabochons, you'd need lapidary equipment.......unl ess its just a spot on a rock you want to shine up. for that you could use abrasives on a rotary tool and then a buff with polishing compound.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

appatite
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011 09:10:18 AM »

Good job for you getting back into the craft!

I started out small, wire work and beading, so the tools I needed were in accordingly small.
As I gradually started advancing, I just started to purchase tools as I realized I needed them. There's no point rushing out and buying a whole bunch of things you may not need.

I have two torches at home, a small handheld benzene torch (like you can buy in culinary stores) and a small Micro Torch. I use the benzene one the most, because it's refillable and easy.

For rock tumbling, I use a small tumbler that I've had since I was really young. It does double duty in my studio, to polish up silver pieces I tumble with stainless shot, and for rock tumbling I use various abrasives.

Just start to explore, and branch out as you see fit. Don't dive too deep all at once!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stones and Findings: Stones, chains, pearls, Sterling Silver and indie-designed unique findings!
http://www.stonesandfindings.com
Make it beautiful Smiley
Hippie9

The Mythical and Magical Seahorse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011 07:35:59 AM »

A benchpin is useful but I bet it'd be very easy to make one, if you have a power saw around. A file is good and also a jeweler's saw, if you plan to make your own jump rings or do piercework.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kim

My blog/showcase of my crafts:  http://kimmadecrafts.blogspot.com/
Hillbillybaubles
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011 06:27:43 PM »

I'm just now starting to actually organize all of my stuff into a jewelry studio. I think my favorite things to have right now are hammers, lots of hammers of all shapes, sizes and weights. I like to see how the different ones texture the metal differently. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

80years at heart

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011 02:52:47 PM »

thank you all so much Smiley Ive been trying to organize all my beads and wire I want to start annealing and cutting out charms and stamping. Would the culinary torch make the metal hot enough so that its soft?
Also now I have my Nana looking for a rock tumbler at yard sales, the beach we live near is covered in these great quartz pebbles that I eventually want to bezel set.
Thank you all so much also are there any good sites to get a jewelers saw?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hillbillybaubles
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011 07:42:24 PM »

I made some jewelry this evening and was thinking about this thread when it I was making it.. things that I used:

Propane torch (I got a little one with a small tank at Lowes for about $15, it does a really good job)
Lots of different kind of pliers and snippers
hammers, several of them
different sanding blocks, scrubbies and 0000 steel wool
a piece of PVC pipe that I used for a bracelet mandrel

I organize my beads in a HUGE tackle box that I got at walmart for less than $25.

I'm also watching to run up on a rock tumbler. Anytime we travel anywhere and I find a unique rock, I get it. So I have some nice ones.

Maybe it would be helpful as we are making jewelry, if we post the tools that we are using so that we can help each other 'build' out studios??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hillbillybaubles
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011 10:36:50 AM »

I also forgot to add that I used a bench grinder. I was working with a piece of aluminum that was pretty thick and hard for me to sand down. So I pulled out an ancient bench grinder that used to belong to my brother. It worked like a charm.. although it was a little bit scary to use LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Different Celebrity, Same Dress: Jessica Alba Vs. Lily Donaldson
DIY: Update a Black Blazer With Metallic Lapels
Style Portrait: Stylist Donald McFarlane
Style Portrait: Student Amanda Jane Givens
Style Portrait: Fashion Blogger Peony Lim
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...