A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 299,173
Currently Running With Scissors:
347 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need instructions for skull necklace  (Read 807 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mandys_momma
« on: May 02, 2011 03:28:50 AM »

Hi everyone,
I don't hang out on this board very much. I come check out all your ideas, but don't post.

I'm wondering if anyone has instructions for a skull necklace? My son is getting married in October and of course they're using a Halloween theme. So the bridesmaids are wearing a black & white dress...now they need something really funky and shocking around their neck.

Anyone have ideas? TIA
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sk8rkat14

Without me it would just aweso

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011 04:42:50 AM »

Well there are a lot of ways to go with this. You could do like day of the dead skulls, so they're kind of colorful and funky. But a question you may want to ask is do you want human skulls or animals skull. And wow that sentence was not meant to sound that creepy. lol But yeah here are some images, given what your skill level is or whatever you could try to replicate these.
Imagine the bird in some sort of silver or deep blue.

The last one is actually accents on top of a dress, you can still get some cool ideas from that.
You could also search the web, or your local bead stores for skull beads or whatever. Or if you are comfortable enough you could make the charms yourself. Here have a tutorial: http://www.spazzticcrafts.com/make-skull-charms.php
But ya, when all else fails just let google be your friend. lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lori Mendenhall
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011 08:14:04 AM »

you did not mention your skill set so I don't know if you could do this, but a skull charm embedded in resin with a glitter background looks great. I've got one in inventory. do you want me to try posting a picture of what I mean?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mandys_momma
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011 08:47:50 AM »

lori,
I'd love to see a pic. I've never worked w/ resin before...not sure how hard it is to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lori Mendenhall
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011 08:38:05 AM »

easiest way is send me an email at lorimendenhall @ cox. net and I'll email you a photo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
luckdragon
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011 02:43:41 PM »

I don't know if you are still looking, but I thought I'd chime in Smiley

you could definitely do something with polymer clay.  There are skull molds available (just do a google search) - and you could decorate the skulls a number of ways. 
You could go really creepy or something cute/creepy like this: http://colourful-blossom.deviantart.com/art/Cute-Skull-Earrings-12439989

Or, you could just use a metal skull charm/pendant and put it on a chain.  Perhaps add some swarovski crystals to give it some sparkle.  I like this charm:http://www.fusionbeads.com/shop/product/46768/ but there are tons of different styles out there!

If you just do a search for skull necklace, you will see a lot of different options

Good luck with the wedding!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 in 2012 (24/50)
Looking for a vintage magazine (1974 - 1978) that has a fabric nativity set w/ people and animals. An example: http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=440861&ppuser=143144.
mephistopheles
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011 12:59:54 AM »

A really, really simple, classic  idea I see a lot in drawings and comics is a skull pendant sewn, strung, or glued onto a piece of black ribbon.  Either use a clasp especially made for ribbon from the craft store, or just let them tie it around their necks as chokers.  Skulls are so in fashion, I'm sure you can find some appropriate pendants anywhere in a retail craft store, or if not on a site like firemountaingems.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ACID BATH

sup, dawgy dawgs??

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011 02:27:43 PM »

I was reading some interview with some jewelry designer in australia or something, she noted her top seller was this necklace that was like a standard strand of pearls except with one randomly placed (not centered) skull bead slightly bigger than the individual pearls... that seems wedding-y, lol.

You can buy small rat/mouse skulls by the dozen on ebay (im assuming these come from owl pellets, which is great because that's atleast somewhat cruelty free ~ buying skulls or jaws of anything bigger than a mouse is probably from hunting or the fur industry, right? im going to assume you don't want to dig through wads of owl barf yourself) Those would be pretty sick all strung together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I WOZ BORN IN THE WAGON OF A TRAVELING SHOW, MOMA HAD 2 DANCE 4 THE MONEY THEY'D THROW
HOMEMADE-SPEED.COM
Zili
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011 05:49:16 PM »

I've been working on making some clay bird skull charms/pendants I took some clay and made a tear drop shape then i took the handle of my pliers (because they have a rounded end) and made the hollow area where eyes would have been.  I don't have pictures of my own right now because they are currently being painted

however i got the idea from here so you can see what i'm talking about
Meeshah on Deviant Art
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...