A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,661
Currently Running With Scissors:
460 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Shop the Swap 50 **Discussion Thread**  (Read 8053 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

calluna
« Reply #130 on: May 22, 2011 01:59:38 PM »

That is ubercreative, lxm! I love the tear-off card format and your photo series explanation!  Cheesy I would recommend making the box for "Number Attending" bigger, so it isn't mistaken for another check-box. Maybe put a faint dotted line between the "I'll be there" and the "Number attending" so the people who are saying "yes" won't as easily let their eyes skip over the 2nd line.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 swaps completed! Thank you, Craftster family!
raeraethejetplane
Take me out 2 the black Tell them I aint comin back

RIP Blue kitty Jan. 1994 - April 2010

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #131 on: May 22, 2011 02:18:43 PM »

lxm, your invites are geat! I would be thrilled to receive one in the mail if I was one of your guests.
Craftaddict, your Jayne hat is wonderful!

Today I tried to spin...I just can't get the yarn thin enough for my liking even after pre-drafting. I was testing out my new top whirl drop spindle. Maybe spinning yarn out of plastic bags will help with my rhythm.  Also, I was reading about the Back to Back challenge http://www.paulbunyan.net/users/bsellon/intlchallenge.html A race to sheer the wool off a sheep and knit it into a sweater. The record is little over 5 hours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LaughingLark
« Reply #132 on: May 22, 2011 08:18:40 PM »

Raerae, you'll get it. It takes a while before your yarn gets thin, but it will happen.

LxM, I love those invites! Beautiful!

I was hoping I could re-join this round, but the rentals are kicking our butts again. Have you ever heard of a tenant who steals the hot water heater when moving out? Well, now we can add that to our list of land-lording experiences.

I'm hoping I can come back to the swap in June, but it now depends on what we find in Joplin. A few hours ago, a massive tornado ripped through the city. We don't know if our two houses are still there. They are both empty, awaiting a remodel this year. We have insurance, but will need to pay a deductible. The damage is so widespread that it will be a while before we can even find out what is going on with our houses. If the houses are totaled, we can't rebuild them. If that neighborhood took a hit, I'm glad they were empty at the time. I'm worried about people I know down there. What I have seen and heard so far looks very bad. One local weatherman was saying EF-4 damage. If you pray, please pray for the folks in Joplin.

In craftier news, we might be going on a road trip across Nebraska. Not the dreaded I-80, but the scenic by-ways.  Cheesy It just so happens that the far western part of our trip will get me to Mitchell, NE--- home of Brown Sheep yarn. I will try to buy some mill ends there, and put some in my shop. I emailed them and they said what they have varies from day to day, and to call ahead when I get in the area. Cross your fingers that I can still go , and that I can bring us goodies to spin and knit. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pseudo_pix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

It's okay paper tiger

« Reply #133 on: May 23, 2011 12:37:40 AM »

LL, I have never heard of that kind of tenants outside of the US. I'm sure they exists, but I've just never heard of that kind of behavior before. The ripping off. I've had bad landlords but never something that justified stealing and being the worse person o.O

lxm, I LOVE those invites! Cheesy You have the graphics job if I should ever get married Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Mitten Project is a year of mittens! Each week a new mitten and you get to choose which ones should be knit. In the end three pairs will be given away to you readers.

Facebook page of TMP
LaughingLark
« Reply #134 on: May 23, 2011 04:17:42 AM »

Psuedo, the thing is, we didn't do anything to make these people mad. They just happened to be buying a trailer out in the country and apparently needed a hot water heater. Weird. It's getting harder to stay afloat here as a landlord. Our biggest problem is meth users. Someone can be fine w/o a record when they move in, then they get a hold of meth... Cry

I am gobsmacked at what I have seen of Joplin so far. Whole neighborhoods are gone, businesses gone. The main area where I shop down there no longer exists. No Hobby Lobby, no JoAnn's, little bead stores in that area--gone. One of the people down there that I was worrying about posted a picture of what was left of Walmart on 15th and Range Line. He was in it when it blew apart, and said it was the longest 30 seconds of his life.

I have some either llama or alpaca (or both) fiber to pick and prepare for spinning. It was given to me all mixed together in a bag. I might be getting alpaca soon. I might sort through that today. I washed it a week or two ago. The guard hairs are mixed with the down. It was too icky to pick through before washing and it was damp in the bag. I was afraid I'd felt it if I dug through it too much. Sorting it out will take a while. I think most of the stuff is llama. Some of it is incredibly soft though. The softest might end up carded with soft wool for hats. Today is a good day to work on something like that. Fiber therapy!

I'm picking up some fleeces either today or later on this week. They are Suffolk-Hampshire cross, and mostly darker colors. Not the softest stuff for knitting, but I'm thinking of using it to make yarn suited for weaving on a Navajo style loom. I'll see what I've got once I scour the wool. Some of it may make decent sock yarn as well. Sorting, scouring and picking wool will keep me busy for a while. I might be getting a Brother drum carder for an anniversary/birthday present. I might need to get a picker this year, too... Cheesy This one, because I don't need swinging implements of death around the house:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/70894174/wool-picker-spinning-wheel-roving-fiber?ref=sr_gallery_1&ga_search_submit=&ga_search_query=wool+picker&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

If you spin, what do you use to measure the weight of your fiber? A postal scale? If I do end up getting the drum carder, I'll want to put batts in my shop.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ptarmic wumpus

You are in room 2

« Reply #135 on: May 23, 2011 05:28:30 AM »

LL, I hope your friends in Joplin are ok!

I have a digital kitchen scale that I use to weigh stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LaughingLark
« Reply #136 on: May 23, 2011 06:27:30 AM »

Thanks, Ptarmic. I'll look for one of those.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

This Shall Be For Music

« Reply #137 on: May 23, 2011 07:08:01 AM »

Beautiful invites LxM!!

LL, hope everything will be ok.

Quiet day here....decided to work from home.  Much nicer than having to get dressed for work and then sit in a cube.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi! I'm looking for a spinner to transform my awesome fiber into yarn for me....have some fantastic jewelry and commercially purchased fiber for trade. my etsy
Live aloha
alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

« Reply #138 on: May 23, 2011 11:35:46 AM »

I saw the tornado damage on the news, how devasting for Joplin Sad  I hope the people in your neighbourhood (and your houses) are okay LL!

So quiet in the swap this month...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster Mobile has launched!  Find out more here

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

This Shall Be For Music

« Reply #139 on: May 23, 2011 11:40:11 AM »

Just have to share what was waiting for me today!!

Thank you Ptarmic!! 
Pacman is for my brother's daughter and tatoo and Japanese kawaii are for my sis' daughter.  These are sure to make their 1st Bdays special!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi! I'm looking for a spinner to transform my awesome fiber into yarn for me....have some fantastic jewelry and commercially purchased fiber for trade. my etsy
Live aloha
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Sketch an Eye from the Side
How to Sketch a Young Face
How to Design a Face in Shadow
How to Handle a Calligraphy Pen
How to Draw Feet
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...