A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 304,755
Currently Running With Scissors:
709 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 39
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: May Birthday Swap Discussion and Gallery  (Read 22498 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: May 21, 2011 06:48:56 PM »

Fantastic packages!

And if anyone is thinking about another claim, you've got 10 days!  (There's still an international birthday swapper who hasn't been claimed, too. Cheesy)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amber.hope
« Reply #211 on: May 21, 2011 08:29:10 PM »

I know right! I wanted to claim her but I just can't afford to ship international right now Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivoryh1632
« Reply #212 on: May 21, 2011 11:25:21 PM »

I basically started with 36 stitches, working from one sleeve to another, i did a 1x1 ribbing for about ten rows, then i increased every stitch and began a 2 x 2 ribbing for ten rows, then i increased every other stitch and began a 3x3 ribbing and worked across until it was as long as i wanted it to be, then i decreased every other stitch, reduced to a 2x2 ribbing for ten rows, then decreased every stitch and finished with ten 1 x 1 rows. Then you just seam the sleeve part closed. Also are you on ravelry.com?
[/quote]

Oh! Thanks!

So you just increased or decreased the first row of the set? What size needle did you use? By the looks of the picture PFD is a lot skinnier than me but I can at least get an idea and go a size up or something, I hate doing swatches, plus ribbing is pretty forgiving.
I'm usually pretty slow at ribbing at first but once I get the rhythm of it I can go quicker. My main problem with knitting is I have carpal tunnel so after an hour or two my fingers start to cramp up real bad so I can never get as much done as I want to. But that's gotten better as I've done more and learned how to properly hold the needles and yarn (I'm self taught so its all trail and error) and the only time it gets real bad is when I'm doing a pattern with more than one color yarn because I still don't know how I'm supposed to hold both yarns at once in an efficient manner. Have you ever tried those needles that are triangle shaped instead of round? I heard they're supposed to help people with carpal tunnel and arthritis, easier to hold or something.
I may have to get some soft yarn this week and try this since its finally getting warm out and I always wear shrugs over my summer dresses anyway.

Oh and yes, I'm on ravelry, I freaking love that site, spend waaaay too much time drooling over the awsome patterns on it  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivoryh1632
« Reply #213 on: May 21, 2011 11:30:10 PM »

Love the pirate one! And I'm not a fan of poodles but I really admire your work on that one. Sihllouettes can be a pain to cut out.

They actually weren't that hard. I made a drawing on paper then cut that out and then pinned it to the felt and, using embroidery scissors, cut them out. I've also tried stitching the design onto a large piece of felt and then cutting the excess off to avoid the hassle of cutting the silhouettes out.

Love the crafty goodness ladies!

I had to do a bunch of felt silhouettes last week for a swap (she still hasn't recieved yet so I can't post pics) and I did the pattern with freezer paper which helped but it was still driving me crazy. But now that you said you used embroidery scissors I think I realized my problem may have been that I was using my big ol fabric scissors lol. I didn't really have a choice though cuz they're the only ones I have, but man was it hard doin the little curves and things. Next time I do something like that I'm definately investing in smaller scissors. I'll try the stitching first and cutting out second thing too, I didn't even think of that one, thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

VanGo87
Creative Alchemist

I create because my inspiration tells me to.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: May 22, 2011 06:36:41 AM »

Next time I do something like that I'm definately investing in smaller scissors. I'll try the stitching first and cutting out second thing too, I didn't even think of that one, thanks!

No problem! I admit that it does give a different look. Below is one I made with that method I made for my step mom for mother's day.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2011 06:37:16 AM by VanGo87 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Olives, Not Chocolate.
My Tumblr
Pinterest

CURRENTLY ON HIATUS.
RebelTrendsetter
You Can't Always Judge a Yarn by it's Roving.

Part time Domestic Goddess, full time Art Geek

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #215 on: May 22, 2011 10:49:58 AM »

I basically started with 36 stitches, working from one sleeve to another, i did a 1x1 ribbing for about ten rows, then i increased every stitch and began a 2 x 2 ribbing for ten rows, then i increased every other stitch and began a 3x3 ribbing and worked across until it was as long as i wanted it to be, then i decreased every other stitch, reduced to a 2x2 ribbing for ten rows, then decreased every stitch and finished with ten 1 x 1 rows. Then you just seam the sleeve part closed. Also are you on ravelry.com?

Oh! Thanks!

So you just increased or decreased the first row of the set? What size needle did you use? By the looks of the picture PFD is a lot skinnier than me but I can at least get an idea and go a size up or something, I hate doing swatches, plus ribbing is pretty forgiving.
I'm usually pretty slow at ribbing at first but once I get the rhythm of it I can go quicker. My main problem with knitting is I have carpal tunnel so after an hour or two my fingers start to cramp up real bad so I can never get as much done as I want to. But that's gotten better as I've done more and learned how to properly hold the needles and yarn (I'm self taught so its all trail and error) and the only time it gets real bad is when I'm doing a pattern with more than one color yarn because I still don't know how I'm supposed to hold both yarns at once in an efficient manner. Have you ever tried those needles that are triangle shaped instead of round? I heard they're supposed to help people with carpal tunnel and arthritis, easier to hold or something.
I may have to get some soft yarn this week and try this since its finally getting warm out and I always wear shrugs over my summer dresses anyway.

Oh and yes, I'm on ravelry, I freaking love that site, spend waaaay too much time drooling over the awsome patterns on it  Cheesy
[/quote]

I'm designvigilante on ravelry Wink I used size 10.5 needles with a thick-thin yarn I supposed its technically a heavy worsted weight. you could go with a chunk weight yarn and my sane numbers. the ribbing makes it super stretchy, the real key for sizing this up is making it longer to fit your back. it should be fine in the wrists and arms but if the back length is too short the whole thing will wear too tight. I hope that helps. BTW I've never heard of triangle shaped needles! that's neat and sound like they'd be worth a try for CP.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Formerly Known As: DesignVigilante
Pintrest! -- Etsy Shop --
kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: May 22, 2011 12:04:38 PM »

Welcome to the swap, zigg13pra!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ivoryh1632
« Reply #217 on: May 22, 2011 06:10:48 PM »

Next time I do something like that I'm definately investing in smaller scissors. I'll try the stitching first and cutting out second thing too, I didn't even think of that one, thanks!

No problem! I admit that it does give a different look. Below is one I made with that method I made for my step mom for mother's day.

Oh that one's cute too. But I see what you're saying, it does give a little different look. I'll just have to play around with it next time I want to do something with that.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011 06:11:32 PM by ivoryh1632 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivoryh1632
« Reply #218 on: May 22, 2011 06:18:29 PM »

I'm designvigilante on ravelry Wink I used size 10.5 needles with a thick-thin yarn I supposed its technically a heavy worsted weight. you could go with a chunk weight yarn and my sane numbers. the ribbing makes it super stretchy, the real key for sizing this up is making it longer to fit your back. it should be fine in the wrists and arms but if the back length is too short the whole thing will wear too tight. I hope that helps. BTW I've never heard of triangle shaped needles! that's neat and sound like they'd be worth a try for CP.
[/quote]

K so now I'm confused. When you say I'd need to make the back longer to you mean longer up and down wise or side to side? Because if I make it longer up and down won't that also make the sleeves looser?

And how many skeins of yarn did you use? I hate running out mid-project and having to wait to finish.

And I added you to my friends on ravelry  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RebelTrendsetter
You Can't Always Judge a Yarn by it's Roving.

Part time Domestic Goddess, full time Art Geek

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #219 on: May 22, 2011 06:40:56 PM »

K so now I'm confused. When you say I'd need to make the back longer to you mean longer up and down wise or side to side? Because if I make it longer up and down won't that also make the sleeves looser?

And how many skeins of yarn did you use? I hate running out mid-project and having to wait to finish.

And I added you to my friends on ravelry  Cheesy

OK I mean when you get to the 3 x 3 ribbing, make sure it will go across your back from armpit to armpit, maybe even make it a little bit longer than you need to and make sure you do not go to far up when you seam the arms closed. I'm plus sized as well (not surprising because I'm pretty sure we're both in the plus sized swap LOL) and with PFD's shrug her back from armpit to armpit is several inches shorter than mine and thats what would make the difference if I were going to make it to fit me. If you look at other shrug sizes they will give you a measurement for your back from armpit to armpit, and it could be 16", 18", 20", etc. And that's what makes the difference in resizing it. The ribbing makes it stretchy so the wrists and arms should be fine.
I used about 1 and 1/4th of a skein of Loops & Threads (the Michael's Brand) Santa Fe yarn. That's 264 yards per skein. I also don't think i mentioned that once I was done and seamed the arms closed, I picked up the stitches around the opening and made a 5 row border just to make it look more finished.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Formerly Known As: DesignVigilante
Pintrest! -- Etsy Shop --
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 39 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Maya Sloan Talks About High Before Homeroom
Bill Morgan Talks About The Typewriter Is Holy
Meet Author Peter Manseau
Sabrina Jeffries Talks About A Hellion in Her Bed
Neil Cross Talks About Natural History and Burial
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...