A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,622
Currently Running With Scissors:
701 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Problem with my yarn?  (Read 288 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jinx`

Crocheting to relax

View Profile WWW
« on: April 30, 2011 09:53:22 PM »

So I'm making my dog this shrug thing...For a costume.  What I am doing is I made a granny square with a flower in the center (the flower is the color of the skirt she'll wear) and the rest around it is the color of the rest of the shrug.  Now the yarn I'm using is a sock yarn I got from my local shop, it was a beautiful tricolor so I didn't think much...Now its stretching a bit more than I'm used to....Is that normal? Does sock yarn stretch more? What would you suggest I do...I'm not sure if it will turn out right...I already undid like 8 rows to try and do them tighter but it did the same thing....Please help a girl out Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Deviant ID: hmax17
Ravelry: hmax17
My Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/HmaxsCrochetGoodies
Am a huge Doctor Who fan, as most of my crafting shows!
Fringey
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011 10:30:34 AM »

Is the yarn wool, cotton, acrylic or something else? I find that cotton yarn does stretch more and some polyester yarns do, too. It may be the stitch pattern you are using, though.

You could try making the piece smaller than you want it and then block it into the size you want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jinx`

Crocheting to relax

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011 03:26:04 PM »

Its cotton.  Its called Cotton Twist.  The pattern calls for half double stitches.  I think I like the idea of blocking.  I can make squares and then put them all together at the end.  I added one block to it going from the top.  I wanted the stitches to go all the same way and thats when the stretching started when I was going up from the right side.  I think I'll make a square of them and piece it together later.  Thanks so much for the help! Its going to look so cute! Cheesy I found a specific dog shrug pattern on ravelry! So excited!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rishloo
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011 09:31:36 AM »

Its cotton.  Its called Cotton Twist.  The pattern calls for half double stitches.  I think I like the idea of blocking.  I can make squares and then put them all together at the end.  I added one block to it going from the top.  I wanted the stitches to go all the same way and thats when the stretching started when I was going up from the right side.  I think I'll make a square of them and piece it together later.  Thanks so much for the help! Its going to look so cute! Cheesy I found a specific dog shrug pattern on ravelry! So excited!

Heh, I don't think that's what she meant about "blocking".  Blocking is a term for when you take your finished object, and depending on the material essentially wet it, stretch/adjust the size of it while pinning it in place on a "blocking mat" which could be anything from a foam mat to a mattress, then allowing it to dry.  Once it dries it will retain the shape/size you made it while it was wet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jinx`

Crocheting to relax

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011 10:25:17 AM »

Oh...Well thats definitely not what I'm doing...Darn it....We'll see how it turns out Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set Exposure Compensation Function
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set Delete Function
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set Auto Mode Function
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set Aperture Priority (A) Function
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Sunset Scene
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...