A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
417 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sizing question for butterick 4790 wrap dress  (Read 511 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wackywallflower
« on: April 29, 2011 04:04:50 PM »

Hello everybody! I am new to sewing and I wanted to give good old Butterick 4790 a try. My question is, to all you lovely ladies who have made it, which bust measurement should I use, high bust or fullest part? I ask because my one other attempt at clothing thus far was a tent of a shirt, for which I used my fullest bust measurement. This thing was huge and totally unwearable. I'm just not sure which is right for the more fitted, wrap around style dress. I think I would be making a size 20, or maybe 18. Waist is about 35 inches, hips are 40-something (can't remember haha) and I am 36 c bra size, about 42 around fullest part of breast. Help me! I've seen plenty of these dresses on here, but I'm just unsure which size to cut out and know nothing of pattern adjustment. Thanks!

Here's the link to pattern:
http://butterick.mccall.com/b4790-products-6089.php?page_id=371
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amazing_784
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011 07:46:22 PM »

I'll tell you my experience with this pattern, and maybe that will give you some information.
I made it once size smaller than my measurements on the pattern envelope.  At the time (2007), my boobs were smaller than they are now, and it gapped a little in the top and shoulder areas. 
I tried it on last year again (don't wear it very often), and since my boobs had gotten bigger it fit well.
My suggestion is to make sure the waist fits well.  It's definitely a fitted waist, and the bodice area is a little looser.  Keep in mind there is a bit of ease built into the pattern.
I'm not sure if I really answered your question, but I hope it gives you something to work with.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wackywallflower
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011 10:20:57 PM »

Thanks for your reply! I have been reading that the waist is pretty tightly fitted, so I think I'm gonna go with whichever size matches my waist and just hope for the best. If it doesn't work, I guess I can try to learn alterations, haha. At the very least, I can reuse all that fabric. I think if I can just make one thing that fits me, even slightly, then my sewing confidence will skyrocket.

Thanks again for your input Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tramca
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011 01:00:29 PM »

I just tried making this myself, and was disappointed.

The top of the dress just didn't work very well. I have a higher waist than the waist of the dress turned out, and so the top was VERY baggy. I managed to adjust the front bodice a bit, to my waist level, but have NO idea how to fix the back, as it isn't straight across were it meets the skirt, it curves downward, so I can't find a way of doing it. Also the bodice  doesn't fit properly where it crosses under the arms. I guess I just don't have the right body shape for this (i'm a plus size and after seeing so many fab pics on plus size women thought it could be a good pattern to make) but I think I'm plus in all the wrong places *cry*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starwatcher
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011 04:14:10 PM »

I also had problems with this dress.  My measurements get bigger as you go down. (In other words I look pregnant even though I'm not) So the dress was to big on top.  Now I am going to try this dress again.  (I have worn the other one I took some darts in the top of the back but its still loose)  What I think I'll do different is adjust the pattern and make a smaller top but keep the waist the size I originally used. Also for the gaps on the side. (I had those too) I might take some snaps and sew to each side where they come together under the arm.  Does anyone think these ideas will work?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Stimpy
How to Draw Captain Hook
How to Draw Big Buck Bunny
Selective White Balance in Photoshop CS6
How to Draw Eyes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...