A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,732
Currently Running With Scissors:
684 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Deep South Tornado Victims  (Read 432 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Candacerhae
« on: April 29, 2011 06:57:36 AM »

Hello everyone. I'm a resident of the state of Alabama, where just 48 hours ago a terrible line of tornados destroyed thousands of homes and cost almost 200 people their lives.  Right now, people are working around the clock to get food, water, and shelter to those in need.  Some major cities and countless small communities are predicted to go without electrical service and water for weeks.  The rebuilding effort is going to take years.

I really want to do something for the victims of these storms.  Anyone out there have any ideas?  I have never done any non-profit organizing in my life, but I think those of us on Craftster can make a positive impact somehow.  Most people's immediate needs are being met, but I have feeling that as the weeks continue this mess will gradually disappear from people's thoughts.  All the small towns affected will probably be forgotten even sooner.  This makes me especially sad, because I grew up in just such a community named Cordova.   It was virtually destroyed Wednesday, leaving six people dead.  Thankfully my family was spared. 

I'm pretty sure ya'll feel the same way as I do about crafty, homemade things.  They make us feel better, and can make an ordinary and/or temporary place feel like home.  Something which these displaced folks could appreciate.  I am asking for help for these people.  I just don't know how to get things started.  Any advice is GREATLY appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011 07:10:21 AM »

Even though it's pretty warm there right now I suspect. Blankets are always good. Also, toys for children. Clothing is great. Maybe things like soap. I would contact the red cross and see what they need (besides money) or maybe local craft stores to see if they are doing anything for the area. Check with charities that you are interested in and see what kind of relief work they are doing and what they need.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Weave at Ends
How to Make a Slip Knot
How to Do a Purl Stitch
How to Do a Garter Stitch
Getting Introduced to Pottery
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...