A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,040
Currently Running With Scissors:
598 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Card Insides?  (Read 1260 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

A2JC4life
« on: April 28, 2011 07:07:31 PM »

If you make your own cards for all occasions - birthdays, etc. - what do you write inside them?  Do you leave them blank when you make them and then just hand-write a message?  Or do you have some sort of "prefab" inside message that you add (like storebought cards), that you would then add an additional handwritten message to?  Did that even make any sense? lol  And if you just write in them, what do you write?  That's the part that trips me up as far as making all of our birthday cards.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011 07:46:10 AM »

When I make cards (rarely buy them anymore), I make them for someone. I write the inside for who(mever) I'm giving them to. Actually, I do my insides on the computer, I even do store bought insides on the computer. I measure the card & figure out a margin & adjust it in Word & type away - I glue it to the inside of the card, or leave loose for store bought ones. If you're just making generic cards, you could use cliched sentiments like you would find in store bought cards or leave them blank so the sender can personalize it however they want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dnelsong
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011 07:02:01 PM »

I'm a rubber stamper and I use various appropriate greetings for cards I make.    Then, of course, I add a hand-written message.  I've collected a range of stamps with a number of them for birthdays and thank yous and then fewer for less "popular" holidays. Debra
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lylacfey
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011 05:49:48 AM »

I add a pretty piece of die cut paper in a special shape. I adhere using my ATG gun or repositionable double tape. That way the recipient has a special note and can reuse the card if they choose to do so.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97658832@N05/

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gelyafey/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
lovelyxmalia
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011 08:22:53 AM »

I usually make my cards at the time of the event, so its much more personal.  I'll add personal messages on the inside and usually I'll come up with a cute saying or poem to put on the cover specifically for "aunt" or "mother" or whomever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

She sees shooting stars...
              & comet's tail
She's got heaven in her eyes.
Antidigger
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011 09:58:40 AM »

I'm lousy at words so I leave my insides blank. But then I tend to make cards in batches, and only specifically if I have nothing suitable in my box. So words are usually added at the last minute, including for the fronts, unless they are Christmas cards.

I do use a stamp for the words on the front, but the inside is always handwritten. I used to look hard for blank cards or minimal message cards when I was purchasing them, so I think it would be unnatural for me to go looking for poems and sayings that might or might not suit and my handwriting isn't that wonderful either!

n.b. The only new things I use in my cards are the glue and the ink: the cardstock and envelopes are recycled paper and everything else are reused or found items, so although I could get inners printed out, I am reluctant to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
faerybird
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011 11:31:11 PM »

I make the cards for the individual person and occasion, but I leave my card insides blank most of the time.  Occasionally, I'll remember a bit of a poem or something else from taking too many literature classes and I might use that instead of an individualized, handwritten message.

To be honest, the main reason I make most of my cards is because I think store bought ones seem cheesy and insincere.  To me, it just sees more real if I actually write out my sentiments simply, rather than try to express my sentiment with a badly written poem from a card company.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my pretty little blog: http://faerybird.blogspot.com/
LisaBrown
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011 05:11:14 AM »

I always include a hand written personal note inside the card.  Most of the time, I write the message on a post it note so that the card is also a gift and can be used by the recipient if she/he wishes.

Lisa
preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'www.inkandinspirations.com')
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lisa Brown
LaurelShimer
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011 10:56:13 AM »

Sometimes I hand-write and sometimes I print them as part of printing a card I create in photoshop.

I try to always say something FUNNY (unless it relates to a sad event obviously). And I practice trying to be funny with comments I make in facebook, because my neighbor says she always tries to say funny things out there and I've devloped the habit.

It doesn't have to be funny like telling a joke, though it could be a joke.

For my husband, for example, I used a photo of him as a kid, altered it in photoshop and then put in the line "Great Future Valentine Potential" or for a birthday card for him I altered a spiderweb he'd photo'd and said "Happy Birthday from one hard worker to another". For a recent college graduation card (which I've not gotten to print the way I want!) I collaged a horse and created a field of clover from one flower (I just got back from a trip to England and had photos of small clover and big horse). The graduate has a horse and spends a lot of time with her horse. I wrote "Now that you've graduated, may you be always in clover."

It's not like comedian's humor, it's just funny enough to show people that they mean something to me.

Another thing you can try is altering song lyrics to a song they might know. Like they do (or used to) in Mad Magazine. Don't forget to put "Sing to the tune of Danny Boy"  (or whatever) at the top of your altered song. This is a very fun way to add personality.

Example (Danny Boy) Janey is leaving your company to work at IBM

Oh Janey girl,
IBMmmmm is calling you
Down in the valley
And far from your old gang.

The coffee pot, won't be the same withoooouuuut you
And we will havvveeee to eat our muffins aloooonnnneeee.

OK, I am not copyrighting the great effort above :-) Anybody feel free to use it!

Laurel
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stop by and check out my art journal, preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'simpleromantic.blogspot.com'), and listen in on my romantic-adventure time travel stories PODCAST, by searching for my show 'Unpolished Performances' in the iTunes store.
A2JC4life
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011 09:02:59 PM »

I love the parodied song idea!  (And it would be especially great for any cards coming from our whole family, as my hubby is constantly rewriting songs like that.  He did a whole new version of "My Favorite Things" for the SuperBowl. lol)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Setting up a Pond for Garden Bird Photography
How to Photograph Garden Birds
Dragonfiles Photographs
Photographing Dragonflies
How to Photograph Butterflies
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...