A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,389
Currently Running With Scissors:
791 Guests and 40 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pattern (pillows) help!  (Read 366 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AlyssaKnits

Formerly Thatkid

View Profile
« on: April 28, 2011 08:40:09 AM »

I apologize if this isn't in the right place, I didn't know where else to put it.  Huh

I need help with a pattern, I can not for the life of me figure out how to make these- Either I'm reading the instructions wrong or it's written in a way that makes it seem harder than it should be! They are supposed to be easy to make..

Here is the instructions and if anyone could help me (draw me pictures maybe?) I would really appreciate it- I'm making the pillows for Give Kids the World Village in Florida, which is a resort for Make-A-Wish kids going to Disney World. Thank you for any help!!!

Cut the plain pillow fabric into 36 inch lengths.  A rotary cutter and board help to ensure accuracy and also speed up the process. The pockets are cut into 12 inch lengths.

On the pillow fabric make a hem on both raw ends (do NOT sew selvages).  Turn down fabric about to and then again another to taking up about an inch to one and a half inches.  Accuracy is not critical.  On the pocket material, hem one raw end only using the same measurement (again do NOT sew selvages).

Match the hemmed edge of pocket and pillow.  Sew the pocket material strip to the pillow fabric right side to right side along the length that is not hemmed.  You could go back to the cutting board to pin them together to get a straighter line for sewing.

Take the fabric back to the cutting board and fold the pocket material toward the center (wrong side of pocket material to right side of pillow material).    Lay a ruler at the pocket where it is sewn and measure 15 inches.  Fold the pillow fabric over the ruler with the fabric right sides together.  Then fold the other end on top of the end you just folded at the pocket where it is sewn.

Now cut the flannel lengthwise into 4 pieces approximately 10-1/2 to 11 inches wide.  Flannel comes in different widths so just divide the flannel into fourths and do not worry about the selvage; they will be sewn or serged over. 

Make sure the pocket in the front and opening in the back are opposite.  The overlap in the back must be at least two (2) inches.  Little hands go in each opening to hold the pillow tight.

Use your serger to finish the side seams OR use a straight stitch and then zig zag the seams.  Clip corners and turn pillow to right side.

The finished size of the pillow and pocket will be (depending on your hem widths of 1/4 to 1/2" as well as the width of the flannel) as follows:
           Pillow:  9-3/4 to 10 wide X 15 long             Pocket:  9-3/4 to 10 wide X 11-1/2 long

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Changed my username, Formerly Thatkid!
AshtonagoL
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011 07:42:14 PM »

Are there any pictures with the pattern of the finished pillow or anything?  Sometimes when I read a pattern I have a hard time following it until I start actually doing it.  If you have some fabric you're willing to sacrifice (in case it doesn't turn out) maybe just do one step at a time and see if it makes sense as you're going along.  Sometimes step 2 and beyond won't make sense to me until I've done the previous steps.  I just need to see some of it before I can picture it in my head.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Reflective Candy Bags for Halloween
How to Make Glue Stick Spiderwebs for Halloween
How to Make Halloween Costumes from Everyday Items
How to Make Reflective Wristbands for Halloween
How to Sculpt a Halloween Pumpkin
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...