A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,967
Currently Running With Scissors:
610 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tributes to my doggie, needlefelted  (Read 1576 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

calluna
« on: April 27, 2011 03:57:02 PM »

At the beginning of the month I had to say goodbye to my sweet, grumpy old cocker spaniel, Shelbe. She was a rescue who I adopted about 6 years ago, and she was almost 16 when she died. She survived so much adversity that she may as well have been a 9-lived cat...I won't eulogize her further right now, because it makes me cry.  Cry  Smiley

I've long admired the talented feltpets, and have avoided needle-felting because I'm generally too clumsy and prone to mentally wander for such a potentially dangerous craft. But in the final days of Shelbe's life, before making the decision to have her put to sleep, I decided I should try to make a felted version of her, while I still had her there to be a model (and a marvelous model she was--as long as I didn't annoy her, she would stay still for an hour or more while napping). She'd started shedding a lot, so I was able to harvest a significant amount of straight black fur/fiber by just sitting and petting her back. Then I created this likeness using an unidentified wool for the base, and needling her fur over all of it, with brown accents where needed. The greyish fiber I used as the base was able to show through in all the places her fur had been going white.

It's just a couple inches long. Shelbe lost one of her eyes to glaucoma a few years back, and the other eye had glaucoma as well but was treated without being removed, though that procedure cost her her remaining eyesight. So naturally, any rendition of her would have to be one-eyed!

And I always loved the little stump of her tail...Her fur, though "softer than a velvet Elvis" as someone once remarked, had bits of weird crud in it due to ongoing allergies and skin conditions, so some of that crud rightfully found its way into the felting.

Fast-forward a few days; Shelbe passed away peacefully and the household began the process of grieving, with smiles and laughter remembering her mixed in equally with tears. I had no crafty mojo in me whatsoever but I needed to do something that would tend to my soul and also occupy my mind and time. So since my mom fell in love with the tiny needle-felted Shelbe, I decided to make another one she could have, sans model.

This one's a big improvement, way more realistic. It's going to sit on top of the tin her ashes are in, which is slightly larger. (And, tempting as it is for me to alter a plain tin, I'm leaving this one otherwise undecorated for now.)

It is a fairly accurate pose, since she liked to lay with only her head on a pillow at times, and rest her back against something. One more, from the back (where "cocker crud" is again visible):

All things considered, it isn't difficult to create something that looked like that dog, because she generally looked like a blob in photos. Take, for instance, this wad of fiber from last year (on the left):

But it was helpful for me to put the time and love into making these. I couldn't create these kinds of things for other animals I don't know and have it resemble the animal, which feltpets does an amazing job with. I'm satisfied with how I did for the one little creature I did know so well, though. If she could talk and see these, there is no doubt what her response would be, because it was her obvious response to everything...

"What a bunch of nonsense. Where's my dinner?"
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011 03:58:28 PM by calluna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 swaps completed! Thank you, Craftster family!
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011 04:45:54 PM »

awe. that made me tear up!  Your dog must have been a wonderful girl.  Your tiny little needle felted version of her is fabulous.  And using her own fur in it is wonderful.  Lots of hugs Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AsphaltQueen
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011 05:45:28 PM »

Calluna, that is beautiful. It's an amazing remembrance of Shelbe and you did a wonderful job. Snort sends her approval, as well. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whatthepuck
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011 05:57:11 PM »

I'm sorry about Shelbe. This is a wonderful tribute. Great job. I love the little details.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vintage Etsy ~ Blog

Swaps:
Kids Craft
Altered Puzzle Piece
Mini 13 DoH
July ATC 7/3/0

Would love to personal swap for Blythe granny square hat(s)
kcartwright856
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011 09:23:55 PM »

I'm so sorry for your loss, but glad that you created such a heartfelt trinket to remember her by.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

raeraethejetplane
Take me out 2 the black Tell them I aint comin back

RIP Blue kitty Jan. 1994 - April 2010

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011 02:24:19 AM »

These are gorgeous, calluna. Your love for her really does come through. They are both very good likenesses of her. I wish I had done one of my cat while I still had the chance to use him as a model. He was sick but I didn't think the time was coming. I kept some of his fur that I brushed off of him (complete with his own ick) but I'm realizing that modeling him is going to be harder and harder as time passes. Thankfully I have sketched of him from over the years.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Harlan

Author of "Needle Felting - to the Point"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011 05:18:49 AM »

Very sorry for your loss!!

I also have to compliment you on adopting an older rescue dog! I did Border Collie rescue for many years and it was very common among rescues to not take in dogs over the age of 4.5. I fully understand why given that it takes longer to rehome older dogs, but they are wonderful pets. I've adopted some older pets and they've always been very special.

You've made a lovely tribute to your Shelbe!! Kudos!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You're unique! Just like everyone else!!
Prittens and other needle felted creatures
http://www.flickr.com/photos/prittens/
CraftArtEDU - exception classes from exceptional instructors
Intimate Forest - my oil paintings
http://www.intimateforest.com
http://www.craftedu.com
smallhold
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011 08:40:21 AM »

Well snap girl, you got me in tears now. Condolences for your loss and what a wonderful way to remember your beloved dog.
Ive got a few bags of dog hair from each dog we had. Might make that into a felted pet now.
Keep the strength.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Hi, my name is Smallhold and I compulsively collect looms."
"Hi Smallhold."
dcmackinlay
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011 05:45:06 PM »

What a wonderful keepsake, calluna. That one little eye peeking out is a heartbreaker for sure.
Thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Phrixy
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011 07:19:53 PM »

It's so adorable!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Chocolate Salami
How to Make Honey Panna Cotta with Pistachios
How to Make Christmas Light Cookies
Debbie Matenopoulos’ Recipe for Baklava
Homemade Strawberry Pie Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...