A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,060
Currently Running With Scissors:
577 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Harry Potter Loom Scarves  (Read 3555 times)
Tags for this thread: knifty_knitter , harry_potter , scarf  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 27, 2011 03:16:23 PM »

I so wish I would have joined this place earlier!  I have so much pent-up crafting ideas to share!  A few years ago I really got into loom knitting (with my Knifty Knitter looms) and started to make scarves.  I shared this incredibly easy and fun craft with my sister-in-laws and they made blankets!  We are a Harry Potter family, as well and were super excited for the premier of one of the Harry Potter movies.  In preparation for the movie, I made scarves for everyone on my loom.  Everyone took a quiz online to find out which house they would be sorted into and let me know which house colors to make them. 

So here is up close and personal with the scarves.

They ended up being pretty long.  I'm short, but it goes just past my knees. There are all made with Lion Brand Wool Ease yarn, and I doubled up each strand on the loom to give it thickness.  I made each a tag and put them into a color coordinated gift bag and gave them to them at the premier of the movie.  The movie happened to come out in a July, but whatever.  The theaters are nicely air conditioned.  ^_^  I have worn my scarf to a couple more of the Harry Potter premiers.  Only one more movie to go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

I've moved in May 2013!  Contact me for my new address!
enchantedwhimsies
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011 03:27:32 PM »

love them!! if I ever move back north and out of this HOT southern climate I would love to have 2 hufflepuffs, a slytherin and a gryffendor for my family Cheesy I've always wanted to try those looms, hmmm...filing away for rainy day lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WendyTheSpaz
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011 10:13:38 PM »

OOh I have wanted to try loom knitting for so long! Are the scarves tubes that are closed at the bottom by fringe or are they one layer?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011 12:21:51 PM »

Thanks everyone!  Loom knitting is so easy to do!  You usually find me knitting throughout the summer making presents for christmas.  ^_^

OOh I have wanted to try loom knitting for so long! Are the scarves tubes that are closed at the bottom by fringe or are they one layer?
I actually used the long loom to make this scarf instead of the circular scarf.  Then you just go back and forth with your yarn on the loom and it makes a nice solid scarf.  I've found that my scarfs roll in on themselves when I do them on the round loom.  That long loom is perfect for scarves!  They have really long ones, too, that you can make a blanket on.  Instead of going back & forth you just weave around the entire outside of the loom. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011 01:17:28 PM »

I think I like these loom knitted scarves better than needle-knitted scarves!  The house shields are a nice touch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WendyTheSpaz
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011 11:30:16 PM »

Wow that's really awesome, the lines look so nice where it changes colors. And I may have to try to find a really long loom. I have a niece on the way and I have been putting off making her blanket because crocheting confuses the BEJEEZUS out of me. Thanks for the advice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrs_smithx3
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012 06:33:03 AM »

I so wish I would have joined this place earlier!  I have so much pent-up crafting ideas to share!  A few years ago I really got into loom knitting (with my Knifty Knitter looms) and started to make scarves.  I shared this incredibly easy and fun craft with my sister-in-laws and they made blankets!  We are a Harry Potter family, as well and were super excited for the premier of one of the Harry Potter movies.  In preparation for the movie, I made scarves for everyone on my loom.  Everyone took a quiz online to find out which house they would be sorted into and let me know which house colors to make them. 

They ended up being pretty long.  I'm short, but it goes just past my knees. There are all made with Lion Brand Wool Ease yarn, and I doubled up each strand on the loom to give it thickness.  I made each a tag and put them into a color coordinated gift bag and gave them to them at the premier of the movie.  The movie happened to come out in a July, but whatever.  The theaters are nicely air conditioned.  ^_^  I have worn my scarf to a couple more of the Harry Potter premiers.  Only one more movie to go!

I know this is an old post but I LOVE LOVE your scarfs!!  Any tips how can I make my own? My sister and I love Harry Potter and as a gift to her I want to make her a scarf! yours are gorgeous!  what color yarn did you use?  I will be forever grateful for your help!
Karin Marie Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012 08:48:04 AM »

I know this is an old post but I LOVE LOVE your scarfs!!  Any tips how can I make my own? My sister and I love Harry Potter and as a gift to her I want to make her a scarf! yours are gorgeous!  what color yarn did you use?  I will be forever grateful for your help!
Karin Marie Smiley

Thanks!  They were really easy to make!  I used this loom:  http://www.provocraft.com/products/detail.php?cl=knifty%20knitter&scl=looms&cat=&item=21-0215

The yarn I used was Lion Brand Wool-Ease (Gold and Barn Red).  They are pretty basic yarns, I got mine at JoAnn's.
http://www.lionbrand.com/yarns/woolease.htm?yarnPage=1419766&categoryKey=1419766&start=0&pageLength=25

On the looms I doubled up the yarn (I used two strands instead of one) and I would just tire the yarn off onto the next color when it was time to do a new stripe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

mrs_smithx3
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012 08:51:23 PM »

I know this is an old post but I LOVE LOVE your scarfs!!  Any tips how can I make my own? My sister and I love Harry Potter and as a gift to her I want to make her a scarf! yours are gorgeous!  what color yarn did you use?  I will be forever grateful for your help!
Karin Marie Smiley

Thanks!  They were really easy to make!  I used this loom:  http://www.provocraft.com/products/detail.php?cl=knifty%20knitter&scl=looms&cat=&item=21-0215

The yarn I used was Lion Brand Wool-Ease (Gold and Barn Red).  They are pretty basic yarns, I got mine at JoAnn's.
http://www.lionbrand.com/yarns/woolease.htm?yarnPage=1419766&categoryKey=1419766&start=0&pageLength=25

On the looms I doubled up the yarn (I used two strands instead of one) and I would just tire the yarn off onto the next color when it was time to do a new stripe.

Thank you for this!! I bought my loom from walmart tonight! I can't wait to try it out. I got red heart ranch red and red heart gold for the colors I hope they are the "right" colors at least my sister will love it hopefully.  It's a secret.  How many yarn balls did you use and how long did you make it?(like in length)  Is there a special stitch you use?  I'm so new at this stuff but excited! Sorry for all the questions I really appreciate it. Thanks again! Karin Marie Smiley
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012 08:57:04 PM by mrs_smithx3 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn About Hand and Rod Puppets
How to Make a Monster Puppet Body
How to Make Monster Puppet Eyebrows
How to Make Monster Puppet Eyes
How to Make a Monster Puppet Head
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...