A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
529 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Poll
Question: Pick your two favorite projects from Craft Challenge #1  (Voting closed: June 09, 2005 08:07:03 AM)
Hanging Votive Holder by swalsh - 33 (2.4%)
Marine Theme Stationary by quartney - 46 (3.3%)
Spatula Mirror by Fonduie - 21 (1.5%)
Vellum Picture Lamp by peptogirl - 14 (1%)
Checkerboard with Muffin Pan Storage by dreamisle - 20 (1.4%)
Bamboo Placemet Bag by kiki_eks - 15 (1.1%)
Oversize-Fruit Shower Curtain by elmonerd - 61 (4.4%)
Zebra Shoes by Randommarble - 7 (0.5%)
Fancy Rubber Gloves by gg05 - 3 (0.2%)
Bulletin Board by guisi - 12 (0.9%)
Candle Holder by guisi - 1 (0.1%)
Accessory Hanger and Mirror by Vey - 9 (0.6%)
Pixie Doll by ladyKiwi - 19 (1.4%)
Bejeweled Dog Dish by giggles1100 - 9 (0.6%)
Babysitter Check List by giggles1100 - 1 (0.1%)
Flip Flops and Picture Frame by dooney - 6 (0.4%)
Picture Frames by momwith3kids - 2 (0.1%)
Candle Holder by momwith3kids - 1 (0.1%)
The Portable Oriental-ish Lantern by elmonerd - 58 (4.2%)
Checkerboard Bulletin Board by LiquidScissors - 5 (0.4%)
Placemat Clutch by Sharla - 65 (4.7%)
Tablecloth Prom Dress by muchachaK - 310 (22.3%)
Glam Poker Box by ilovepaper - 28 (2%)
Crafty Tote by craftyfingers - 18 (1.3%)
Light-Up Goddess Shrine by EmilyFlew - 70 (5%)
Photo Albums by candycanechild - 4 (0.3%)
Dish Towel Apron by VaxGirl - 45 (3.2%)
Plunger Doll by maps - 30 (2.2%)
Polishing Cloth Shirt by rickrackruby - 43 (3.1%)
Utlility Towel Apron by rickrackruby - 54 (3.9%)
Soda Bottle Birthday Cupcake by Crafty Kat - 3 (0.2%)
Box Purse by sighonthebreeze - 5 (0.4%)
Army Men Side Table by swalsh - 311 (22.3%)
Hardware Tiara by GoTo - 62 (4.5%)
Poker Accent Lamp by kellymac - 2 (0.1%)
Total Voters: 793

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: [FINISHED] Craft Challenge #1 - Under $5 From a Dollar Store  (Read 137856 times)
Tags for this thread: poll  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« on: April 28, 2005 07:04:32 AM »

Craft Challenge #1 - Under $5 From a Dollar Store - Due May 31 to June 2 (2005)

I love dollar stores!  You never know what craziness you're going to find!  And it's usually of the kitschy, plasticy, cheaply made vibe which is just so appealing!

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to make something fabulous and hopefully totally unexpected out of items you buy at a dollar store  that cost $5 or less.

Official Rules:

• Post your craft during the period of May 31 to June 2. No sooner. No later.
  • To enter, just post your project in this thread during the period of May 31 to June 2.
  • Voting will happen from June 3 to June 8
  • Each participant can enter up to two different projects

The item(s) you buy at the dollar store should be the focal point of the craft.  But you can use traditional craft supplies (needle & thread, glue, whatever!) as needed and those don't have to come from the dollar store or be included in the $5.00 limit.  You don't need to buy 5 $1.00 items.  Just spend $5.00 or under at the dollar store.

Originality:

It's probably impossible to know whether your project is 100% original and has never been posted on Craftster.  But if your project was inspired by something on Craftster, then just give credit to that project.

Non-U.S. Participants

You can participate if you are not from the U.S.  Just spend the equivalent of $5 in a store that's similar to a dollar store.

Prizes:

At the end, I'll set up a poll right here in the thread and whoever people vote as the winner gets:

(1) their project in the Featured Projects area
(2) their project in the Craftster Blog
(3) and this prize: one dozen Craftster one-inch buttons

(prizes will be different every month for each new Challenge)

So who's up for a challenge?!

Feel free to post any questions or comments you have here too but note that I may delete them once submissions come in to keep the thread tidy.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005 05:33:51 AM by the craftster admin (leah) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
swalsh
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005 12:00:21 AM »

Here's my entry!
I call it a candlier - sort of a hanging candle-holder.

dollar store supplies:
package of colorful votives

wooden "spoons" - the kind you get with those little cups of italian ice, or, for those of you in the northeast, Hoodsie Cups

paper rope

the results:
top-view of the candlier

close-up

hanging view

hanging with candles lit

I'm really happy with how it turned out. I love the colors - especially for summer. I think I'm going to make more and hang them from the trees in my backyard for an evening bbq I'm having. The only non-dollar store supply used was glue. Also, extra caution was taken so the rope doesn't get too close to the flame.

I can't wait to see what everyone else came up with.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2005 12:22:39 AM by swalsh » THIS ROCKS   Logged
quartney

the seam ripper is my friend.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005 05:57:48 AM »

I bought tissue paper, "go fish" cards, kraft paper, envelopes, and sticky notes.  I wanted to make myself some much-needed stationery in a cute marine theme.  I got everything from Dollar Tree, except for the kraft paper (from Big Lots).

To make the brightly colored envelopes:  I took apart the envelopes, spray-glued the tissue paper onto them, and then reassembled the envelopes with a glue stick.  Then I spray-glued the sticky notes on the front of the envelopes as address spaces.  I also put some fish postage stamps (I already had these) on the envelopes.

I cut the kraft paper to fit the envelopes and sewed a "go fish" card to the front of each.  Then, I lined the inside with scraps from an old nautical map that had been discarded from the library.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fonduie
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005 07:14:56 AM »

First of all yeah for Dollar Tree!

I Bought a metal spatula, a little grooming set that included a small hand mirror, a bag of small decorative stones and a bag of large decorative stones (and had a dollar left over for snacks!.)  I used my handy glitter glue gun to put it all together.

and I turned it into a hand held or hanging (as shown hanging from my kitchen wall where I normally keep my oven mitts) little vanity mirror.  We're talking about a glamor spatula turned mirror, baby!  Who says that you can't check yourself out whilst cooking!

Anyway, thanks for this contest.  I had a blast for $4!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005 05:30:23 PM by Fonduie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My etsy Store:
fonduie.etsy.com
It's NEAT!
peptogirl

gingham is the new pink!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005 11:25:32 AM »

I don't know if this will qualify for the contest, since I used some additional parts that cost more than $5. But I still wanted to show off my project.

4 - 99Cent Store Photo Frames w/ mats ($4 or 99 cents x 4 to be exact!)
1 light bulb (99 cents)

Additional Parts:
Photos printed on vellum, with my photo printer
Lamp Kit

I printed my family photos on vellum with my photo printer and inserted the photos into the frames. Then I cut some drawing paper and slid it behind the photos as a backing (this is an optional step). I glued the 4 photo frames together to make a box. Then, I added a lamp kit (this one was made for a hanging lamp). The lamp kit came with a hook so I improvised by screwing the hook into the back of one of the frames so that the cord and bulb could hang down from the top. I made sure the bulb wouldn't touch the sides of the lamp, of course! When the lamp is on, the light shines through the pictures.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

--
Amy Cluck

Peptogirl Industries
Hip, handmade & vintage goods
www.peptogirl.com

Pimp Stitch
The cutest embroidery patterns this side of the information super highway
www.pimpstitch.com
dreamisle
ATCs are great!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005 01:04:04 PM »

Ugh! I'm such a failure! Well, I can honestly say that I could have hunted out better stuff at other dollar stores, but my brilliant idea of making a checkerboard still can't outdo some of the projects I see here. Great job everyone!  Smiley

For my checkerboard centerpiece I spent $5 at the 1 Dollar Bargain place.
  • $1 - Foam sheets used for the board and decorations on the cups and the little throne pieces that go under 'kinged' pieces (not shown)
  • $1 - Muffin baking pan used for the base of this centerpiece to store the pieces in cups
  • $1 - Plastic glass-looking pieces for playing the game. 3 colors, 16 of each piece (12 and 4 replacement)
  • $2 - Two votive candle holders for the end of the board, either to hold captured pieces or for candles or sand or whatever I'd use if I wanted to make it adapt to the theme of a room.
  • Hot Glue not included in total
  • Use of exacto knives not included in total
The board part rests nicely atop the pan and the pieces fit beneath without making bumps. Since the pieces don't stack well (at all), I cut extra squares of thefoam to make little star shaped 'thrones' underneath the 'kinged' pieces. The votive cups stay in fairly well but I haven't exactly tried shaking the whole thing upsidedown yet. I used blue and white for the board because the yellow foam didn't match the yellowish-green-ness of the yellowish-green pieces.  Undecided

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handmade Paper
Library Due Date Card ATCs
I make handmade paper! PM me for trades!
I made a Pillow!
kiki*eks
"Alis volat propiis"

if i'm online i am procrastinating

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005 01:57:19 PM »

Just have to say so far - WOW to all you craftsters - loving all the ideas and craftyness...  Kiss
Heres my booty from my local Dollar Tree:
One gift bag with sturdy wooden like handles, one bamboo place mat, and one 3/pack cloth napkins = $3.00 even (no sales tax in Oregon Wink) and one purse.

I know we are only to submit 2 but just wanted to share. So these are NOT submissions but just wanted to share my first two tries:

$3 @ Dollar Tree - I hated the smell of the glue and I have no patients to grout it. So I have banned this from the house and its sits outside I will use it as garden art...

This was my first try and spent $5 at the Dollar Shoppe - its a candle and I weaved the beads into the sticks for a candle base - not really my style so I have no Idea on what I am going to do with it.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008 05:42:07 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Pink Ladies Pledge is to act cool, to look cool and to be cool, till death do us part, Think Pink!
elmonerd
Tutorial Contributor

Sporadic Crafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005 02:46:27 PM »

Here's what I found at the dollar store, yummy fruit!

Oversize-Fruit Shower Curtain

The supplies:

1 clear shower curtain - $1
1 Strawberry plastic Placemat and Coasters Set - $1
2 Orange plastic Placemat and Coasters Set - $1 each

Total = $4.00

The Supplies

The curtain

Scary Jumbo Strawberry

i tried to glue the placemats onto the shower curtain with regular white glue Tongue it wouldn't dry, so I had to tape the ends of the big fruits and then I put it up, amazingly they're still stuck on!

I love this craft challenge it's so fun to see everyone elses stuff, good job guys.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

little things I make http://vendibles.etsy.com
Randommarble

My cat Marble. Make a nice fur coat?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005 03:13:07 PM »

Hi, um don't know if this counts 'cause I couldn't find a pound shop anywhere so I looked for random stuff.

I got two cork floor tiles from homebase. They would normally work out about 70p each but had to be bought in packs of 9. There were a couple loose ones so I smiled sweetly and the manager gave them to me for free.
I also went to the 1/m (closest thing I could find to pound shop) to see what oddments I could find. I found this small piece of zebra canvas fabric 25cm long so only cost 25p.

Total cost: 25p (50 cents ish)

Several hours later and lots of sticking (no more nails is my friend, I borrowed that off my dad), me and my friend came up with these.

EDIT:  If you can't see the pictures please try to see them at my site

www.freewebs.com/sewsimple

It's the zebra sandals, which comes under 'Shoes'
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005 06:36:54 AM by the craftster admin (leah) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Remember: To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world.

See my website for my products (will post to anywhere in UK at cost of postage and packaging). It is a little out of date due to a server crash. Please email me if you want a custom order
gg05
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005 07:24:36 PM »

OK - I'm almost embarassed to post this. Didn't turn out as cute as I imagined but HERE GOES! Wish I was as crafty as the rest of you...I'm pretty new to this all. I've always wanted to make cool stuff but I've got "Crafter's block" or something.

This is what I started with....all from Dollar Duz It...

And this is the finished project...I like to call it "Who ME, do DISHES? Are you CRAZY?!"

And a close up of the bling on the ring finger...a funky button I found in my awesome stash of buttons from my Grandma...

The colors don't show up so great on screen...the "nails" are painted purple and the ribbon is purple, green and yellow/gold...think Mardi Gras. I had some funky mardi gras stickers too but couldnt' work them in anywhere.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005 05:42:21 AM by gg05 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC Challenge - 9/100
100 Happy Themes ATC Challenge - 1/100
*oops - got sidetracked on these somewhere along the way!*
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Prom Updo Hairstyles
How to Do a Messy Ponytail
How to Look Younger
How to Look Older
How to Curl Black Hair
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...