A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
675 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: light healthy breakfast?  (Read 1472 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cinnamon teal
« on: April 26, 2011 01:29:53 PM »

Hey gals and guys! I would love some breakfast ideas! I've never been a breakfast eater. But lately I've been trying to take better care of myself and I think breakfast would be a good place to start. I never have much of an appetite first thing in the morning so something light but sustaining would be ideal.  Sometimes I have oatmeal if my hubby has already made it, though I'm not the biggest fan. And if I plan ahead, I'll make a batch of muffins for the week. But that doesn't happen too often. Tongue This week I've been trying plain whole milk yogurt with some fruit and honey. It's pretty good, but I think maybe a bit too sweet. That's the other thing. I'm pretty sensitive to sugar so things like pancakes just mess up my blood sugar and then I feel crummy all day.

Thanks for your suggestions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011 05:50:30 PM »

Are you making instant oatmeal? That stuff is tasteless goo imo. I've become addicted to long cook oats with a sprinkling of dried fruits and cinnamon. You can make it in advance and in a crock pot which makes it super easy.

I'm also a fan of vanilla yogurt with home made granola and breakfast wraps with tortilla, scrambled egg and salsa.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
calaren
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011 09:14:25 PM »

Hot cooked cereals are vastly underrated, imho. I love grits, farina, cracked wheat, and steel cut oats. I usually don't eat them with butter, cream, sugar, etc. because I don't like that, but I think oats with honey, fruit, and milk would be good, or grits with a sprinkle of low-fat cheese or some turkey bacon/sausage. Troublet is right, the instant cereals, especially oats, are pretty crappy.
Speaking of cereals, one of my favorite breakfasts is bulgur wheat with a scrambled egg mixed in and a little onion and herbs - I'm not a fan of sweet stuff, either. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011 06:59:49 AM »

If eating too many carbs in the morning messes you up, you need some protein instead (carbs are carbs, doesn't really matter that much if they're sweet or not). Don't like eggs? You don't have to stick to "breakfast" food. If "light" is what you want, some soup with meat in it might do you better than a bowl of grains. Have a turkey burger with lettuce and tomato - skip the bread -  or a chicken or cheese open sandwich.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cinnamon teal
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011 05:21:00 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions! I agree that the instant oatmeal packets are awful! DH usually make old fashioned oats with cinnamon and brown sugar. It tastes fine but it's just not something I want to eat all the time. I really like steel cut oats, but we usually only have them on the weekends or special occasions because they take so darn long to make! I love the crockpot idea but my slow cooker is really big! Great for a double chili recipe but not so good for oatmeal for 2. Troublet, when you make it in advance, do you do it like the night before and then reheat in the morning? Is the texture just as good as if you made it in the morning?

I also like the suggestion to use alternative grains, incorporate more protein and try non traditional breakfast foods!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cutiemonster
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011 10:08:01 PM »

I love me a good fruit smoothie with soymilk in the morning.  It's so easy if you have a magic bullet type blender, which does single servings.  It's vitamins and calcium and protein, and is so light and easy to eat.  I have the type of metabolism that can't eat right after waking up, but it's no problem to down a smoothie on those occasions.  I just blend frozen fruit with orange juice and soymilk, then add about a spoonful of splenda to sweeten it if the frozen fruit isn't sweet enough already. 

Also, apples and peanut butter is fantastic.  Apples wake you up, and peanut butter has a TON of protein.  This plus some kind of whole grain cereal or granola would probably keep you going for a while.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011 02:04:49 AM »

I LOVE apples w/ peanut butter! I grew up eating that as a dessert.

Oatmeal a la crock pot can be stored in the fridge and reheated (gently due to thickness sometimes) in the microwave. Think about making it for the week and making enough for both you and your husband. There's a huge textural difference between the instant and steel cut oats so cooking in advance has no effect on the resulting reheated breakfast. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011 12:44:59 PM »

If sugar messes with you then definitely protein!  I also have a hard time with my blood sugar.  Eggs and cheese are a great thing in the morning!  There is a recipe I've been using off allrecipes.com that I love called Oven Omelet .  It is super easy to make and you can throw just about anything you want in there, like any veggies, cheeses, and spices.  I always put dill, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika in my eggs.  Mmmm.  You could also just use egg whites and shred an unpeeled potato into it if you are going for a more health conscience version.  Eating the skin of a potato helps you digest the sugars from the inside of the potato.  (I work for a chiropractor, constantly bombarded with health information.  ^_^)  You can make it up ahead of time and then keep it in the fridge and then just cut off a small portion and microwave.  It is so good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

I've moved in May 2013!  Contact me for my new address!
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011 10:15:23 AM »

I hate to eat when I first get up too but I have to take a medication when I wake up and eat within 1/2 an hour to an hour. My solution is a protein smoothie! Easy to get down, tasty, and I can change it up to whatever I feel like.

I used to blend up: a frozen banana, 3-4 frozen strawberries, a scoop of protein powder (mine has 140 cals, 27 g of protein) and a cup of milk. This makes a 350+ cal smoothie, which is fine, but after reading Smoothie Girl Eats's smoothie tips I've started making lower calorie smoothies and then eating a banana later.

Now I do: 1 scoop protein powder, 1 1/2 cups water (sometimes I do 40 cal a cup unsweetened almond milk, but usually the water), 8-12 ice cubes, 2 T peanut flour (optional), a packet of splenda (optional), a couple teaspoons of cocoa powder (optional), about a teaspoon of SF FF instant pudding powder (optional but improves the flavor), and/or some SF Torani syrup in vanilla or caramel.

I tried the guar gum and xantham gum like she suggests but my tummy didn't like it (the texture was great though). If I just do the protein powder, ice, and water it's a 140 cal smoothie that keeps me full for 2 1/2 hours. Obviously eggs or something will keep me full longer, but for 140 cal and something easy to get down in the morning, I'm happy! Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011 10:16:40 AM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
jl409
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011 05:13:59 PM »

People have already mentioned smoothies but I had to share my favorite!! Throw 1/2 or 1 banana, blueberries, 1 tbsp (or so) of lowfat greek yogurt (it has to be greek!), ice, and a small squeeze of agave nectar (i don't use artificial sweeteners) into a blender and voila!.  It's delicious!

Also, you could try a lowfat version of chilaquiles.  Saute diced onion in skillet, add egg whites and scramble them with the onion, transfer to a plate.  Then top with lowfat cheddar cheese, salsa (if I don't have salsa on hand I just add a few drops of tabasco sauce  BEFORE I add the cheese), and top with broken up baked tortilla chips! YUMM!

I also like egg sandwiches- toasted wheat bread, egg cooked over medium (in a Pam sprayed pan, not in oil or bacon fat), lettuce, slice of tomato, and sometimes lowfat mayo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Wrapped Wire Loop
How to Make Wire Wrapped Beaded Bracelet
Rosette Beaded Pendant Necklace
How to Make a Beaded Pendant Necklace
How to Make a Basic Charm Bracelet
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...